December Reading Thread

Larry.

I am now reading Troy: Shield of Thunder by David Gemmell. Not too shabby, but for "historical fiction" it cant match Gates of Fire for instance. Still, anything to stay away from the Eco masterpiece Foucaults Pendulum that lies half read on my mantelpiece ;)

I am still trying to make it through Devices and Desires. While I am enjoying it, it seems like I read for an hour, yet have only read another 20 pages. Weird. I still think this book is really hard to read at anything other than a slow pace, but maybe its just me. Its definitely is a bit wordy, but its not bothering me (though I am beginning to skip some of the overly technical/mechanical passages that really arent adding much to the story).

I am reading The Cowards by Josef Skvorecky. Even though I usually read a few pages a day, I am really enjoying the book. I am really impressed by his characterization and the wit shines through even in translation. His depiction of the immediate aftermath of the german retreat, and the way a small Czech town copes with it, is quite interesting as well.

I'm knocking down the China Mieville Bas-Lag novels as we speak. Just finished the 3rd one, Iron Council.

I still can't decide if this man is a genius or a complete idiot when it comes to ending his books. I keep waffling between "That was awesome" and "This man couldn't write an ending to save his life".

I just read Altered Carbon. It is a fast-paced novel that's plot is full of twists and grips you right to the last page. The brutal future of Morgan's novel is captivating, leaving you eager to find out more about its peoples and worlds that they inhabit. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the Takeshi Lev Kovacs books, in the near future.

I finally finished Before They are Hanged, after many months of it sitting half-read on a shelf. Due to the different circumstances that the characters are in, it is a very different kettle of fish to The Blade Itself. To clarify things, I left it unfinished because I enjoyed Abercrombie's first novel so much that I was worried that the sequel would not live up to it. Before They are Hanged more than lives up to my expectations and even raises the bar set by its predecessor.

Tobias S. Buckell's Crystal Rain is a mind-blowing ride that introduces readers to two of the most intriguing characters in Sci-Fi that I have ever encountered. John de Brun and Pepper become more and more interesting, for every piece of information that you learn about their personalities and pasts. The novel is only just shy of four hundred pages long; though it is content-rich, with a complex story worthy of novels double its size.

Last wednesday I finished reading Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch, which I found to be an enjoyable novel at heart (despite from flaws). The characterization and the pace were certainly areas where Lynch improved, but (not much to my surprise) the world building fell flat. I guess Scott Lynch is just not interested in building an interesting, immersing world. I have not yet figured out which one is the better of the two - the Lies of Locke Lamora or this one.

In any case, inspired by some recent post on reviewing in the blogosphere, I tried to evolve my reviews a bit (I probably did not succeed, but what the hell) and came up with citations to support the (general) statements on the book. Anyway, the review is on the blog, let me know what you think of new "format".

Next up is Gene Wolfe's Shadow & Claw anthology (Shadow of the Torturer and Claw of the Conciliator), but it is going to be tricky stuff to tackle such a classic in the field. I do enjoy reading this on though, it is my first time reading anything written by the man himself.

Good to know. A Fire Upon the Deep has been on my shelf--unread, of course--for years. I just keep hearing such mixed things about it. Allegations of it being slow, dated, full of stupid characters, etc. I think I'll read it next, if for no other reason than to get it over with.

I really liked A Fire Upon The Deep but it does indeed have some flaws. I didn't think it was slow or had bad characterisation, but the world-building and technology is sometimes unconvincing and the similarities of the interstellar communications network in the books to 1990s-era Internet was a bit incongruous. I guess the latter is what other people meant by it seeming dated, although to be fair there are valid reasons for there being some similarities - both networks have limited bandwidth. On the plus side, as others have said it does have some fascinating aliens and the parts of the plot set on the Tines' world are very entertaining.

I went away over the weekend and took the chance to read my copy of The Name of The Wind. I enjoyed it greatly and am really looking forward to the next book. My favorite part of the book is when he is at the university, I can't wait to see how he gets kicked out.

Just finished Elom by William Drinkard. Not sure what I think of it. There were some aspects that I thought were interesting, but the storytelling just did not grab me that way I think a book should. Still I think it will appeal to some readers. At this point though I have no idea what others will like. People actually are raving over The Slaves of Shinar and like The Wanderer's Tale.

I think maybe next will be Nicole Galland's new book which looks like it might be a little too treaclely for me, but she can still sometimes write some entertaining stories.

I actually haven't encountered anyone who lies The Wanderer's Tale.

Not sure what to read next. Kate Elliott's Spirit Gate and Steph Swainston's The Year of Our War are front-runners, but I'm also keen to get into a re-read of The Helliconia Trilogy. Or I may just take the shorter option and finish off The Children of Hurin, which I started about five months ago and got distracted from.

Just finished Elom by William Drinkard. Not sure what I think of it. There were some aspects that I thought were interesting, but the storytelling just did not grab me that way I think a book should.

Crossed that one of my 2008 list a few weeks ago when I read a horrible interview with the author. Looks like a lot of Eartth Goddess/ Uber women dross. No way I'm touching that. I'd love to get a really historical novel about pre-historic times but seems it still hasn't been written.

As for my reading, not much news, still struggling through Dragonbone Chair. 5 weeks of reading, 325 pages done.

I am struggling through One Hundred Years of Solitude. I can't decide whether it is genius or nonsense yet. I think that the structure is part of the cause of this as you find a rhythm and understanding with one set of characters and then the focus switches and it takes a chapter or two to find your feet again. The repetitive names don't help at all, the family tree at the beginning is vital. Any thoughts on it?

Just finished reading Caitlin Kiernan's 'Beowulf' over the weekend. It's never going to win any awards for 'best fantasy' but it's still a solid entertaining read that I enjoyed. The only issue I had was the 21st century colloquialisms that kept popping up in conversation between Vikings, I guess that would be a problem in a 'book of the film'... My full review is Here

I fancied reading about zombies next so I've got David Wellington's 'Monster Island' on the go. I'm also working my way through 'A Sword from Red Ice' (J.V.Jones) and have got GRRM's 'Inside Straight' waiting in the wings...

You have to think of OHYS as being like a cycle. The names are what they are for a good reason (which you'll start to realize about halfway into the novel, with the third and fourth generations of Buendias). Also, that novel is meant to be in part an allegory of what has transpired in Colombia since Bolivar's death in 1825, so the references to the colors and to the battles of Aureliano Buendia are rooted in Colombia's late 19th century history, especially the War of a Thousand Days, their civil war that ended in the Treaty of Neerlandia.

When you look at it in this fashion, as a mythical version of Colombian history as experienced through a family that has archetypes for some of its members, the story becomes much clearer. And the ending is one of the most damning that I've ever read.

Finally finished Devices and Desires (review). Overall, i liked it, but I think the writing is definitely an acquired taste. Some will call it wordy, and might not like all the parenthetical asides that seem to occur on every page. I liked it, and thought it brought added depth to the characters. If the writing style works for you, the story is mostly well done (except for one thing in the conclusion), the world felt real, and I thought the book was worth my time.

Honestly, not quite sure what I will be reading next. I wish that new David B Coe book was out!

I am struggling through One Hundred Years of Solitude. I can't decide whether it is genius or nonsense yet. I think that the structure is part of the cause of this as you find a rhythm and understanding with one set of characters and then the focus switches and it takes a chapter or two to find your feet again. The repetitive names don't help at all, the family tree at the beginning is vital. Any thoughts on it?

I had the exact same problems when reading it, and I never did finish it, though I'd like to try again someday. Thought it had some of the most beautiful prose I'd ever read, but the cycle of switching focus through the generations didn't allow me to really feel involved in it, and I found myself bored with it, great prose notwithstanding.

Archived