Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie

Werthead

I suspect that Joe's hedged his bets a little and left things open for a return to the characters who survive the book (and certainly a couple of story-threads are laid down that could be picked up later on), but my understanding is that neither Best Served Cold nor the following book will feature any of the major characters from The First Law. A couple of the minor ones, perhaps.

Thanks. So we'll probably wait for...three years before we see Glokta and company again. *sigh*

The bit where [CENSORED] actually turns out to be [CENSORING] [CENSORED] and [CENSORED] gets [CENSORED] in [CENSORED] turned out to be pretty cool, actually.

:leaving:

:lmao:

Is it possible to ask for spoilers through PMs? :leaving:

I hope we get to see that mercenary from Before They Are Hanged again, either in this book or in the next couple. He was cool.

Great info on LAOK, too. I can't wait for this book. Can't it come out in February instead of March, though? That way I could get it for my birthday. :P (Unless it's out on March 1st. That would do.)

Is it possible to ask for spoilers through PMs?

Are you kidding me? Have you read Glokta's chapters in the first two books? I'm not risking the Ire of Abercrombie and giving him a chance to use that research for real :stunned:

Are you kidding me? Have you read Glokta's chapters in the first two books? I'm not risking the Ire of Abercrombie and giving him a chance to use that research for real :stunned:

I don't blame you.

I always thought it was odd how some people could think that an occasional "fuck" was the most upsetting thing in a book where one of the main characters day job is to torture false confessions out of people, on screen.

That speed-torturing chapter gave me the heebie-jeebies.

That said, I can't wait for the next book.

...even if I have a sneaking suspicion that it will end with me shaking my fist* in Joe Abercrombies general direction.

*) Only wusses go easy on their readers. We'll probably forgive you Joe.

Are you kidding me? Have you read Glokta's chapters in the first two books? I'm not risking the Ire of Abercrombie and giving him a chance to use that research for real

Ah...good point. :leaving:

In any case, is it odd that I really like the torture scenes? I liked reading how Glokta and his uh, Practicals conduct it. It didn't seem like gratuitious at all or 'excessive' ala Goodkind. It seemed pretty realistic to me.

Heck. I can tell you, if you had a root canal or any massive dental work without anesthesia, you'd confess pretty quick too.

A trilogy in three years. ye gods, pigs really do fly. :-

A good deal longer than three years for me, I can tell you . . .

This is beyond good news for me. Too many fantasy series are wonderful and satisfying for the first 95%, and then the ending is just flat or unimaginative.

I have inverted the cliches of the genre by producing a trilogy that is flat and unimaginative for 1400 pages, then explodes into wonderful and satisfying action for the last 50. A-ha-ha.

So this means we won't be seeing the First Law characters throughout the Second Law, or is that just for Best Served Cold?

Second Law? Do you know something I don't?

I'm not risking the Ire of Abercrombie

Very wise. Nice review, by the way. The first one anywhere on the interweb, I do believe, and enitrely spoiler free. Just one thing - who's a guy got to sleep with to get five stars around here? A-ha-ha-ha.

*meep* I walked right into that one, didn't I? :blush:

Terry Goodkind. You have to be willing to sleep with him to get Wert's five-star rating, I suspect.

:stunned:

DF, you bastard! The mental images make my brain burn. Mr. Abercrombie would do no such thing...would he?

Yes, it's the new trilogy that you are going to write.

One quality book a year for three years.

Now sit down and type. You can have a life later. :whip:

No, seriously. Take a vacation, spend some of that pile of money money you (hopefully) earned.

Then take your time and write whatever you feel like.

I'm up to page 100 of the first book and I'm starting to enjoy it. I needed West's sister to appear, Logen meeting some other people and Glokta being something more than a very disagreeable character to feel more involved in the story.

Still have no idea about how the threads will come together though.

Never underestimate what an author would do in order to get great publicity ;) You know it was funny, so laugh, will ya? :P

:lmao:

Tairy probably sold his soul for his publicity. :smoking: Mr. Abercrombie would do more than that if he did what you suggested. Even Khalul himself would recoil at the thought of doing anything with Tairy. :P

But that begs the question: Did the Duke sleep with Tairy then? ;)

Hrmm...I suppose Joe might have a few scruples. A few, mind you. So maybe he'd just have to sleep with Margaret Atwood instead? ;)

DF, you bastard! The mental images make my brain burn. Mr. Abercrombie would do no such thing...would he?

How about this WM? He'll have to sleep with Tairy, the Duke, and St*anek. How's that for a mental image? :P

I'm up to page 100 of the first book and I'm starting to enjoy it. I needed West's sister to appear, Logen meeting some other people and Glokta being something more than a very disagreeable character to feel more involved in the story.

Still have no idea about how the threads will come together though.

Ha ha ha.

Oh no you don't :pirate:

Archived