Last Argument of Kings by Joe Abercrombie

Werthead

I'll bring it on the 14th if you'd like.

Oooooh. Ooooooooh. That would be aces, if you would. I'll even promise not to gloat (too much) in exchange ;). Seriously, though, it'd be much appreciated.

And don't worry, Joe, I will still buy a copy when it comes out :P . God knows, I already own two copies of each of Scott Lynch's books.

I'm currently reading Before They are hanged. Its good, but:

- this is a fairly big gripe for me in regards to Martin, and it seems old Joe here is trying to outdo him. Bickering. I am so sick and fucking tired of characters in these books always disliking each other. Its endemic. Martin is not too bad, though i cannot really say i know of any true friendships in the books.

But Abercrombie is worse. Everyone hates each other, and gets pissy all the time, and hisses and snaps at each other ALL THE TIME. Now i understand that there will be enemies, but can these guys not have one friend. I mean, at best, i can think of Jon and Sam in ASOIAF. In Before they are hanged...up to page 87. Nothing.

Its tedious and tiresome, and i cannot imagine it, honestly. It strikes me as incredibly false.

I just got my copy of this in the mail ( I was one o' the lucky contest winners ) two days ago, right in time for my days off. I am about 150 pages into it so far and I am LOVING it. Seriously considering calling in sick for a couple days so I can read more :)

Good stuff indeed.

PS Thanks for the copy Joe

I just got my copy of this in the mail ( I was one o' the lucky contest winners ) two days ago, right in time for my days off. I am about 150 pages into it so far and I am LOVING it. Seriously considering calling in sick for a couple days so I can read more :)

Good stuff indeed.

PS Thanks for the copy Joe

You should feel obligated to send me the book when you're done with it. As payment for trying to steal my name. :P

SPOILERS!!!

SPOILER: LAoK
So, i have to say that Before they are hanged is turning out to be one of the best books that i have ever read. Its...dammit its fun to read. I have been laughing at different things and thoroughly enjoying myself for awhile now, but i just read something that made me chuckle with glee.

So West, trudging with the Prince Ladisla, attacks some Northern scouts with the help of Dow, Dogman, and the boys. First he goes off the deep end by biting some guys face off. Then he returns to find the prince trying to rape the girl. And he pushes the prince off a fucking cliff. Brilliant! I thought for awhile that the prince would one day reform, become a better man...but no. West pushed him off a cliff.

Brilliant beyond words.

SPOILERS!!!
SPOILER: arthmail should learn to use spoiler tags

So, i have to say that Before they are hanged is turning out to be one of the best books that i have ever read. Its...dammit its fun to read. I have been laughing at different things and thoroughly enjoying myself for awhile now, but i just read something that made me chuckle with glee.

So West, trudging with the Prince Ladisla, attacks some Northern scouts with the help of Dow, Dogman, and the boys. First he goes off the deep end by biting some guys face off. Then he returns to find the prince trying to rape the girl. And he pushes the prince off a fucking cliff. Brilliant! I thought for awhile that the prince would one day reform, become a better man...but no. West pushed him off a cliff.

Brilliant beyond words.

spoiler tag that shit!!

Firstly, didn't know how.

Secondly, considering that this is a discussion of the THIRD book, i figured that simply putting spoilers in capital at the top of the post would be enough for people to...i don't know...not read it.

:lmao:

For a while there, I was ready to go for the kil.

Yeah, I had a pretty big brain fart there. :uhoh:

Firstly, didn't know how.

Secondly, considering that this is a discussion of the THIRD book, i figured that simply putting spoilers in capital at the top of the post would be enough for people to...i don't know...not read it.

It is a discussion about a book that is not yet in print - it is not a "spoiler thread." The same thing earned some board suspensions in the "Dexter" thread in Entertainment.

There's a thread about how to post spoilers in general - which nobody bothers to use the search function and find :unsure:

To black out spoilers type:

[sp*iler=whatever you want to title your spoiler]spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler [/sp*iler]

with an 'o' in place of the '*'

Aside from any of that, this isn't like email where you can see 'SPOILER' at the top and delete it to move on to the next reply. You still have to scroll past the SPOILER post to get to the next one, so chances are good you'll see part of the spoiler, even if you don't stop to read it all.

Having said that, thanks for changing it. :)

Archived