Going to Ireland

My wife and I will flying into Dublin the second week of April. We'll be there for a few days before flying to Paris for a few more days.

Anyone have any recommendations for things to see, places to stay, pubs to try?

Isn't that the week of the Great BwB Galway meetup? If so, you should git yer butt to Galway. ;)

My wife and I will flying into Dublin the second week of April. We'll be there for a few days before flying to Paris for a few more days.

Anyone have any recommendations for things to see, places to stay, pubs to try?

What are your interests? I was an Irish Tour guide for 4 years and can show you all the best places. Feel free to get in contact with me. At the very least, I could buy you a pint and discuss routes/visits etc.

Good choice in country! France isn't that bad either. :P

Peadar will be especially useful for this but 3 things come to mind instantly; Newgrange for ancient wonder, Trim Castle because castles are always good and Guinness Store House because you are in Ireland. ;) The first 2 will involve renting a car or getting onto some bus tour, so not sure is that something you were thinking of.

And of course, the remains of the Irish BwB will congregate in honour of your visit if there is time. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, the timing isn't so good for the BwB meet-up. We're due back in the States for a family gathering on April 20th.

That said, we were planning to be in Ireland for between 4-6 days. It's a ridiculously short stretch to "see" Ireland, but with the current exchange rate (and limited vacation time) I've got to do what I can. :)

We were looking at renting a car for the trip so we could get out and explore as best we can in that time frame. If that's a bad idea, please let me know. My wife is set on going to the Aran islands as well... so that'll likely take up at least a day.

Of course, if anyone on the boards is going to be around, let me know.

There is a fair roster of BwBers in Ireland and it should be possible to arrange something. That said we are scattered around a bit. I'm in Galway on the west coast; Pod and Paddy are in Dublin (Peadar as well?) in the east and there's a few others knocking around. A congregation (possibly in Dublin?) should be possible though. If you are going to the Aran Islands via Galway (the nearest port), then certainly we should arrange to meet up for a few drinks or something!

Unfortunately, the timing isn't so good for the BwB meet-up. We're due back in the States for a family gathering on April 20th.

That said, we were planning to be in Ireland for between 4-6 days. It's a ridiculously short stretch to "see" Ireland, but with the current exchange rate (and limited vacation time) I've got to do what I can. :)

We were looking at renting a car for the trip so we could get out and explore as best we can in that time frame. If that's a bad idea, please let me know. My wife is set on going to the Aran islands as well... so that'll likely take up at least a day.

Of course, if anyone on the boards is going to be around, let me know.

Yes, renting a car is probably a necessity if you want to see anything outside of Dublin. I'd agree with Padraig's suggestions, but if you have specific interests, let us know. As Wert said, there are a lot of us about and we bite only when provoked ;)

If you're going to the Aran Islands, you'd do well to call into somewhere like Clonmacnoise on the way. But maybe you're more into countryside? Let us know.

Renting a car is definitely a good idea. The Aran Islands is on the other side of the island, so it will take a while to get to. Might be best to arrive in Dublin, spend a day in the city to recover from the flight, see whatever takes your fancy there and then head off the following morning with the car. No need to rush over to the Aran Islands, i'd drop off at a few places on the way too and fro (Clonmacnoise as Peadar suggested), staying in whatever b&b/hotel you find close by. The west of the country has got some of the best scenary, so if you are over there seeing the Aran Islands, you can always take advantage of that. Should be a lot of fun.

Oh, and you should be able to find cheap tickets from Dublin to Paris with Aer Lingus or Ryanair anyhow (although Aer Lingus flies to the more convenient airport). Just check their websites. :)

And yup, when your plans have come together, we can arrange something BwBish. :)

That reminds me, who's about the Dublin area in January? Can't pin it down more than it might be the second or third week of the month, but I'm going to be sent to Dublin for my training course and it could be a good excuse to arrange a mini-meet-up. Plus if it's later on in the month it ties in nicely with my birthday! :cheers:

That reminds me, who's about the Dublin area in January? Can't pin it down more than it might be the second or third week of the month, but I'm going to be sent to Dublin for my training course and it could be a good excuse to arrange a mini-meet-up. Plus if it's later on in the month it ties in nicely with my birthday! :cheers:

I'll be around and ready to put the post Christmas blues behind me...

Depends on the times, although I'd imagine that they'd be something like 9am-4pm every day. I imagine I'll come up Sunday afternoon and crash in the hotel, but again I need to find out exactly how it's all going to work. I was half-thinking of using Thursday as the night to meet up and then heading back to Galway on Friday, but we can probably pick another night. The training sessions don't sound that arduous any way.

Depending on how they pay for the trip, I may be absolutely skint as well (since they're doing this the week before payday and I get the impression we have to pay for stuff ourselves and then claim it back from the company :rolleyes: ), which would be a pain.

Depending on how they pay for the trip, I may be absolutely skint as well (since they're doing this the week before payday and I get the impression we have to pay for stuff ourselves and then claim it back from the company :rolleyes: ), which would be a pain.

Ouch. That's actually evil. :thumbsdown:

Now that I think of it, maybe its best to ignore my Thursday comments before. If that works best, that's as good as any. :) I should make it then.

We could buy you a slap-up meal, give you the receipt and you could claim it back... :pirate:

Archived