A Thread for Small Questions

Slynt

if you suppose that gregor is reanimated, where did cersei find a skull big enough to represent gregor to send south to dorne with the kingsguard since no one else ever seen someone his size? and what does IIRC mean?

Maybe Cersei sent Gregor's skull to Dorne, and Qyburn gave necroGregor a different head.

Have a very nice day.

-fgalkin

if you suppose that gregor is reanimated, where did cersei find a skull big enough to represent gregor to send south to dorne with the kingsguard since no one else ever seen someone his size? and what does IIRC mean?

I thought, but I can't be sure, that Cersei sent south one of the fake Tyrion heads that people hoping for the bounty kept bringing her.

A quick question: does anyone remember a reference concerning a relationship between the Hound and Elia? I seem to recall a small throwaway comment made by someone within AGOT or ACOK that suggested that the Hound was having an affair with Elia before her death and I haven't seen it mentioned here on the boards. I can't possibly be anymore vague.

I thought, but I can't be sure, that Cersei sent south one of the fake Tyrion heads that people hoping for the bounty kept bringing her.

I think one of the poor dwarfs was mentioned to have a particularly large head. I'm with DG in thinking that was the skull that was sent.

A quick question: does anyone remember a reference concerning a relationship between the Hound and Elia? I seem to recall a small throwaway comment made by someone within AGOT or ACOK that suggested that the Hound was having an affair with Elia before her death and I haven't seen it mentioned here on the boards. I can't possibly be anymore vague.

I think you must've gotten confused because the Hound was only 12 when Elia died.

I think you must've gotten confused because the Hound was only 12 when Elia died.

Regarding that age thing, is there somewhere a place / encyclopedia with the timelines and ages of the people? From some we know, but others are unclear.

• 2 weeks later...

Questions:

About Dunk and Egg

- Was it really Maekar (?) who killed his brother or are we supposed to suspect something sinister? He wonders outloud that he doesn't even remember dealing the mortal blow, but that surely it couldn't be dealt by Kingsguard, as they gave a vow to protect.... etc etc. But nothing's impossible, esp. on battlefield. If it was real life, it would be one thing, but in the books, every detail is supposed to have significance. I just wonder if this line was put there to make us wonder, or not? What's consensus? I did research but couldn't find the thread.

- There was some iffy business with prince having only unworthy opponents - to make him look good I presume. I expected something to come out of it, but if it did, I haven't noticed. I am referring to tourney in HK, of course.

ASOIAF

People mentioned before on the boards that one of the characters (Amory Lorch? someone els?) appears to be a pedophile. It went completely over my head. Where does it come from?

I think one of the poor dwarfs was mentioned to have a particularly large head. I'm with DG in thinking that was the skull that was sent.

I don't think so. Gregor's skull is already being cleaned for its trip to Dorne as of Cersei's fourth chapter, and I believe the head you're thinking of doesn't come until later on.

CDO:

I think you mean Lyn Corbray, who is notoriously uninterested in the charms of women and, according to Littlefinger, only enjoys gold, boys, and killing.

Questions:

About Dunk and Egg

- Was it really Maekar (?) who killed his brother or are we supposed to suspect something sinister? He wonders outloud that he doesn't even remember dealing the mortal blow, but that surely it couldn't be dealt by Kingsguard, as they gave a vow to protect.... etc etc. But nothing's impossible, esp. on battlefield. If it was real life, it would be one thing, but in the books, every detail is supposed to have significance. I just wonder if this line was put there to make us wonder, or not? What's consensus? I did research but couldn't find the thread.

I always assumed Maekar was right.

- There was some iffy business with prince having only unworthy opponents - to make him look good I presume. I expected something to come out of it, but if it did, I haven't noticed. I am referring to tourney in HK, of course.

It is true that he had weak opponents. George commented on this in an e-mail. I don't know that anything "comes" of it.

ASOIAF

People mentioned before on the boards that one of the characters (Amory Lorch? someone els?) appears to be a pedophile. It went completely over my head. Where does it come from?

There is also Septon Utt.

Septon Utt - I vaguely remember something, but I am not sure. Can you tell me where is it?

Crow controversy I remember very well.

Thanks everyone for the answers. I was thinking about LC, but now I wonder about SU as well.

I don't know that anything "comes" of it.

I wonder what was the point then? Every detail should have it's part in overall plot, or serve as misdirection at least. Especially in such a small piece. Is it characterization of a hero that is dispatched of quickly? His only role so far was to bitch at Dunk (understandably) and to die, do we need to know that he was so so warrior? I assume that writer includes facts in his text for a reason

Are we still talking about Maekar's comment about not remembering the blow that killed his brother? I think it's quite likely that during a battle of that sort one wouldn't recall each blow landed. Seems to me that this quote is more about Maekar than his brother--his regret over killing him but his ultimate acceptance of that responsibility.

Septon Utt - I vaguely remember something, but I am not sure. Can you tell me where is it?

Looking it up, on p.441 of the US ASOS TPB, Utt confesses to doing "something" to boys. There may be more in ACOK in the Arya chapters.

I wonder what was the point then? Every detail should have it's part in overall plot, or serve as misdirection at least. Especially in such a small piece. Is it characterization of a hero that is dispatched of quickly? His only role so far was to bitch at Dunk (understandably) and to die, do we need to know that he was so so warrior? I assume that writer includes facts in his text for a reason

Perhaps to further show that kinslaying is punished as Maekar died in battle against an outlaw lord. Really, I have no idea.

No, no, I was talking about Valarr plot. It seems to be a gun on the wall that never really fires. Cut it off - the story stays the same.

The Maekar lines can be simply normal speech of a man expressing his feelings, they do not NEED to have some payoff. I am just surprised not to find tons of crack pot theories about a blow that killed a heir to the throne that Maekar doesn't remember doing and which is assumed to be made by him simply because kingsguard "couldn't" - read "weren't supposed to" - do. It COULD be something more but most probably isn't. Just I've seen theories born out of way less and when I read these lines, I immediately thought that they may have arise speculation and I might have missed something. I mean, I never even thought about L+R=J. Heh.

Thanks, now I remember that septon more or less.

Guest Other-in-law
No, no, I was talking about Valarr plot. It seems to be a gun on the wall that never really fires. Cut it off - the story stays the same.

Valarr? He wasn't even on the field. Unless you suspect him of bribing one of the KG to kill his father? That really doesn't sound very likely to me. I wouldn't put something like that past Aerion, but he was too far down in the succession to reasonably expect to ever get the throne, while Valarr was so high in the succession that all he had to do was wait; he was guaranteed to get it if he didn't die first (which he did, as it happened, but that wasn't predictable).

I think it's more about Maekar doubting his own motives...he was jealous of his brother, did he subconsciously want to kill him? In this, as in other ways, Maekar seems very like Stannis.

Archived