Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson

Werthead

I'm not too sure. 800 pages of S-L-O-W buildup and then a good ending? But then 9/10. Hmm.

Pat's ratings generally make very little sense and his reviews of Malazan books are terrible - he spends 90% of the review giving a huge plot summary and finishes without saying much of anything about whether the book is actually any good. It's just a bunch of fanboy worship and gloating.

Of course I'm a Malazan fanboy too, which makes writing reviews of these books extra hard.

I have to agree with you on that, Ken. That being said, it'll be a book I'll read soon after its release, although likely the US release rather than the UK one.

I have to agree with you on that, Ken. That being said, it'll be a book I'll read soon after its release, although likely the US release rather than the UK one.

you could try and get an ARC from Tor - I know they sent them out recently.

I shall. But right now, I have a backlog of books I need to review first, so I might just wait until just before the release date and request a finished copy. Still need to mail in my checklist to them, as it's been a month since I received it :P

Man I've emailed Tor to ask them about their review copies policy etc., but they didn't even deign to answer :/

I wouldn't expect one - I occasionally get a book out of them, but certainly not a response :P

That's odd, I often get a response, but that's because I have personal dealings with one of their publicists. Still, I'd suggest emailing Transworld, since it's part of Random House. If you're in one of their databases, you're in them all. I got a review copy of Esslemont's book that way last year.

Pat's ratings generally make very little sense and his reviews of Malazan books are terrible - he spends 90% of the review giving a huge plot summary and finishes without saying much of anything about whether the book is actually any good. It's just a bunch of fanboy worship and gloating.

Of course I'm a Malazan fanboy too, which makes writing reviews of these books extra hard.

I do not have any issues with most of Pat's reviews. Except the Malazan ones. I think he must be the world's biggest fan of both Erikson and Esselmont. :lol:

Given that, I am sure it is impossible for him to try to be objective. :lol:

Amazon must love me.

They've sent me a hardcover copy of Toll the Hounds :smoking:

Now, excuse me while I put out the bear traps. The damned postman won't be claiming my mailbox is full this time around :ninja:

I've preordered this one from England, and its shipped, but to be honest, I kind of wish I had just waited and bought it here. After reading Pat's review, my anticipation has died down a lot, especially since I don't really see how most of the plotlines fit into the overall plots of the series. Anyway, hopefully Erikson can prove me wrong.

Another year, another Erikson book, another bloody struggle to try and find out if and when it gets released in Australia, before finally breaking down and ordering it from Amazon UK.

Given this certitude, why don't you just skip the frustrating struggle part and immediately order from Amazon UK? ;)

Archived