Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson

Werthead

I got my copy yesterday morning and finished it a few minutes ago. Absolutely adored it, but then I am a fanboy, sure the first part was slow, but you could tell it was building up to something, and I often find the journey towards something to be enjoyable.

Brahm, after the ending, you'll know all the plotlines make sense.

Because I'm a patriot!

Well, actually, I'm a tightass, and the shipping fees always make me wince.

www.bookdepository.co.uk

Free Worldwide Shipping, my friend. I seriously have no clue how everyone doesn't know and love these guys. Lifesavers and Wallet Breakers :P

Thrashalla, Book Depository was the first place I checked but unfortunately they listed it as unavailable. I normally get my books from there though.

Sucks to be you, then. (Well, to be your wallet). ;):D

Thrashalla, Book Depository was the first place I checked but unfortunately they listed it as unavailable. I normally get my books from there though.

Well, technically, it doesn't even come out in the UK until the first...so odds are the Amazonites lucked out with their pre-ordering.

I finished the book last night (well, 3:30 AM to be precise) and all I can say is : Wow.

The book does indeed have a slow start, but IMO the book doesn't drag at all (although in rereads there are certain ultimately pointless POVs that I may skip). The ending, though, is breathtaking. So many duels, so many unexpected deaths. Absolutely fantastic. The plot has advanced nicely, though my only disappointment is that there are some seemingly important storylines just brushed over and left unresolved. I also felt that the writing quality has picked up quite a lot. The book had a smoother flow to it than the previous couple.

But for those of you waiting for your book to arrive, you're in for a treat.

Just got it in. 4 days from the UK to Connecticut, USA. When it comes to mail they sure got their shit together.

Hmm... that means my copy may be arriving soon as well. It also amazes me how UK mail gets here so much faster than stuff sent from within Montreal.

Anyone read the 'new' edition of Gardens of the Moon? The new introduction to the series was pretty bizarre. It seemed to consist of Erikson alternating between damning the rest of epic fantasy as timid and safe (Cook excepted) and being very defensive about how some people don't 'get' GotM and drop out a third of the way into the book. I must admit that, again, if I wasn't already a reader I'd probably have been put off by that introduction.

Ugh. That's really disappointing to hear. :(

OTOH, Toll the Hounds is really, really good. The best opening to a Malazan novel since at least MoI (although I do like Karsa's odyssey at the start of HoC a lot). I'm about 220 or so pages in:

SPOILER: TTH
The drink-off between the Bridgeburners (seriously, anyone else want to punch the air when they just took out the idiotic assassins sent after them in the opening chapter; are guys who've faced off agaist Tiste Andii and Crimson Guard really going to be killed in a back-alley stabbing?) and Barathol's crew was great. The lethal, dangerous Cutter turning back into bumbling Crokus as he entered the Phoenix Inn again, the revelation of Traveller's true identity (HUGE surprise there, not) and, best of all, the discovery of the identity of the 'monstrous demon' leaving a swathe of destruction across the Lamatath Plain, no doubt accompanied by half the readers cheering and the other half groaning. Also a nice nod to the fans with the 'Hounds of Light' comment and some cool references to the events of TBH as well, such as the devastated face of the moon and the smashed-up Trygalle Trade Guild caravan being repaired.

Took me a few chapters to work out what the fabled 'new writing device' Erikson was employing for this book, and when I did I saw how subtle it was. Quite intriguing. I wonder if he can keep it up for the whole book?

:lol:

Gruntle and a bunch of the Mott Irregulars join the Trygalle Trade Guild to take Mappo through the warrens to Lether to find Icarium. That's a sitcom waiting to happen.

:lol:

Gruntle and a bunch of the Mott Irregulars join the Trygalle Trade Guild to take Mappo through the warrens to Lether to find Icarium. That's a sitcom waiting to happen.

Just wait till you finish. The ending is the imo, the most exciting epic Sword and Sorcery fantasy climax I've ever read.

I'd also like to say that I read these two series for two different kind of reasons. Malazan has the most amazing sense of wonder in the world and the worlds past. ASOIAF is hard to explain, but the realism and brilliant writing is what makes me enjoy it. However I could barely get through a Feast for Crows. I thought it was a huge letdown. Worse than anything i've read in Malaz. But a Storm of Swords remains the greatest epic fantasy novel I've ever read. Period.

Just killing time before the Euro 2008 finals, as I have free internet access in Warsaw. :)

Glad to see that people love the ending! It is quite a mindfuck, no doubt about it! ;)

Catching a flight to Helsinki tomorrow morning, so no boozing for Pat tonight. Oh no. . . :thumbsdown:

Patrick (who had a ball in Poland!)

Archived