Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson

Werthead

All right, so I'm two hundred pages in and enjoying it so far. But I'm only a casual Malazan fan, really (ie, I read each book, discuss them for about two weeks and then never give them much thought until the next one arrives) so there's a lot of stuff that I've forgotten from past books- so I thought I'd ask some questions here. I'll spoiler them, since they do give away some stuff about the first two hundred pages:

SPOILER: Toll the Hounds

1. How did Clip and co. get to Genebackis? Last I remember, Clip was the douchey Tiste Andii with Fear and the gang and then Trull Sengar defeated him. So why is he there and why was he seeking the Dying God? And who is Nimander again, and what did he do to his sister Phaed?

2. Why does Traveller/Dassem want to kill Hood? Whats the deal with him and Mael that Shadowthrone was talking about (and in what book did it happen)?

3. Baruk says that a Tyrant might arise again in the city, and Kallor is clearly intent on that goal. But didn't Cutter hear about there being a tyrant in Darujhistan in the Bonehunters, and isn't that the main reason he decided to return to the city?

4. How did Spite meet up with Cutter? Whats her relation to Rake?

5. Have we met the kids Snell and the other one (with an "h") before?

6. And finally, what exactly happened between Rake, Silchas Ruin and Andarist again? They're all brothers, right? I vaguely remember something like Ruin betraying Rake in Midnight Tides... Am I making this up?

Thanks in advance to whoever answers any of these questions. Sorry to do this, but I find it nearly impossible to keep track of nearly anything in this series.

SPOILER: A few answers

1. Nimander and crew are the grandchildren of Anomander Rake, left on Drift Avalli to protect the Throne of Shadow. They're the Tiste Andii equivalent of teenagers. In house of Chains, with Andarist, Cutter, Apsalar and Traveller, they repulsed a Tiste Edur assault, and a lot of them died. They ended up with Tavore somehow and travelled with her to Lether. Clip came and collected them at the end of Reaper's Gale. They arrived on Genabackis by using Kurald Galain to travel. Nimander is Rake's son (I think), and his sister Phaed was a psychopath that he played a hand in murdering, to prevent her from killing Withal's wife.

2. Dassem was sworn to Hood. Something went wrong, Hood betrayed him and tried to take his daughter, who Dassem placed in an Azath House beyond Hood's reach. Why he's decided *now*, as opposed to years ago, is something I don't really know, maybe related to ROTCG.

3. Cutter was warned that the Tyrant was returning to Darujhistan. It seems like the Tyrant is still alive since being driven out centuries ago.

4. She rescued Cutter and crew from the sea in Bonehunters. Her relation to Rake - she's the daughter of Draconus, and the sister of Lady Envy, who was once Rake's lover.

5. Nope. Harllo was conceived during MOI, when Stonny was raped by a Seerdomin at the Siege of Capustan. Harllo is named after a character from MOI though, a caravan guard that Stonny and Gruntle knew, who was killed.

6. They're brothers, all sons of Mother Dark, and each apparently led a faction of Tiste Andii after Mother Dark turned her back upon them. What happened between them we don't know exactly, though some of it is revealed in Toll. Ruin was betrayed by Scabandari Bloodeye, Father Shadow, in the Midnight Tides prologue, and his followers were slaughtered.

I just went and purchased this book. Boy the UK hardcover + shipping + exchange rate really makes it prohibitively expensive. At least in terms of pages:money ratio I am getting a better deal than in the past :smoking:

Thanks, Brady! Those answers really help in making sense of whats going on.

Though, I thought the book took place 2-3 years after MOI... Isn't Harllo five though? Meaning that it'd essentially be about 6 years since Capustan?

Yeah it seems like about 6 years have passed since MOI. It threw me for a bit of a loop too.

There's a clue, later on, that TTH doesn't follow straight on from Reaper's Gale like you'd expect, there's more of a gap. I think that accounts for the time difference.

Events in Return of the Crimson Guard fill in that time period, although there's nothing in TtH that spoils the story of RotCG, and a hell of a lot happens in RotCG.

Edit: Apparently Return happens after TtH, I really should re-read it again.

I was tempted to read the horrible spoilers of doom but thankfully I avoided the temptation. I still need to buy the new books and read them but I definitely will do so. Er like this year.

I'm about 300 pages in so far and enjoying it. The book did take me a bit to get into just because of the million different PoV changes and the fact that I forgot who some of these people actually were.

But now I'm caught up and wrapped up. I want to read, not work.

Paran does not appear, and his connection with the hounds is not explained.
Thanks.

Gigei: no Paran is maybe good, but for some reason, I don't care at all what super demi gods all the other characters might be, but I still want to know about his hound transformation thing. Weird I know, especially after Reaper's Gale Bonehunters (though the bit with Apsalar had potential, meh). Knowing Erikson, it will never be satisfactorily explained, I guess.

I've never liked anyone in Paran's whole family lol. I don't hate them but I'm not really interested in them.

I hate Karsa.

I still want to know about his hound transformation thing

No idea about it. ;)

Silchas Ruin appears in a flashback. So is Andarist.

Ah flashbacks, where would we be without them?

Quick Ben is one of my favorite characters. His ass-kicking of Korbal Broach and Bauchelain remains one of my favorite Malazan moments. And I miss that bastard Kalam too.

Quick Ben is just too much at this point. I came to this conclusion in Reaper's Gale, when Silchas Ruin was going to dragon attack Lether, and then Quick Ben just said "nuh uh" and Silchas Ruin said "Okay" (I'm pretty sure those are the exact words Erikson used). Is there anything this guy can't do?

Archived