Cricket 3

IheartTesla

[quote name='Hereward' post='1471560' date='Aug 7 2008, 16.25']Nine down now. This reminds me of the traditional England victory at the Oval in dead Ashes rubbers.[/quote]
A clever tactical ploy by their opponents to give England false confidence so that they wont take necessary far-reaching measures to improve the team? And simply remain beatable? :P

[quote name='Sir Thursday' post='1472806' date='Aug 8 2008, 22.53']I find it amusing to think that he would have got about 5 times the flack if he'd got out on 96.

Sir Thursday[/quote]

Same with me. It's amazing that for all the complexity of the game of cricket we place so much importance on arbitrary events (e.g. when individual/team scores pass 50, 100, 150 etc.).

Good innings from Pietersen, though. He has certainly led from the front in this test match. Things looking good again for English cricket...but for how long?

Good to see Collingwood amongst the runs as well. He deserves a good time of it after that terrible decision he got in the innings before he was dropped. Then again - it's England's own fault for not agreeing to experiment with the review system (which seems to be working well in the SL vs. India series [e.g. the Tendulkar dismissal]).

Another side-note: how many times has Cook gotten a good start and then squandered it this Summer? I've lost count.

On Cook - All the SA series at least, through one wasn't his fault for the appalling caught behind that came off his thigh guard.

On Collingwood - I admit it I was so so so wrong out of him being out of form, that hundred really has regained his confidence.

On Broad - Bowling was erratic, please please bat well to vindicate me :P

[quote name='SirRots' post='1472910' date='Aug 8 2008, 23.51']On Broad - Bowling was erratic, please please bat well to vindicate me :P[/quote]

No such luck. A failure for Broad.

As Jeor said pre-match - there's only room for one all-rounder in the England team. Expecting someone to make regular contributions at no 8 in order to justify their selection is a joke. Strange decision to include Broad ahead of Shah or even Bopara IMO.

And BTW why the hell is Ambrose playing again?

[quote name='Paxter' post='1472816' date='Aug 8 2008, 15.00']Another side-note: how many times has Cook gotten a good start and then squandered it this Summer? I've lost count.[/quote]

I don't understand what's happened with Cook. For the first half of his career, he was pretty good at converting half-centuries to full ones - I think he did it about 50% of the time, but since then he's managed a single century from about 8 or 9 50s, frequently getting out to some pretty stupid shots. As with so many of the England team, the talent is there but the mentality seems to be wrong.

[quote name='Korax' post='1473616' date='Aug 9 2008, 17.27']I don't understand what's happened with Cook. For the first half of his career, he was pretty good at converting half-centuries to full ones - I think he did it about 50% of the time, but since then he's managed a single century from about 8 or 9 50s, frequently getting out to some pretty stupid shots. As with so many of the England team, the talent is there but the mentality seems to be wrong.[/quote]

And he's done it again, Cook falling to Ntini in that 50-70 run bracket that he keeps scoring in but failing to convert. In any case, England should still win fairly comfortably - a nice end to the series for them so that they at least have some momentum heading in to the one-dayers.

Meanwhile, in the other test series going on at the moment, Sri Lanka have been absolutely brilliant in beating India. Now that they have Mendis (who broke the record for most wickets in a debut three-match series) [i]and[/i] Murali they look nearly impossible to beat in their home conditions. The scary thing about Mendis is that he took those wickets against the best players of spin bowling on the planet. Just think what will happen when he plays the other test nations in sub-continental conditions! IMO he looks a dead certainty for 300+ test wickets. Great to see such great talent emerging from Sri Lanka.

• 2 weeks later...
Great win by England against South Africa - Pietersen is 2 from 2 now (both in terms of awesome innings and successful captaincy). Is anyone revising their predictions about the wisdom of appointing him as captain (I know I certainly am)? The next one-dayer will be the big test. England got off to a good start against NZ and then blew it - maybe they'll do the same here.

Meanwhile, India have got their act together against SL and look to be in a good position with only two games left to play.

Any predictions for the Aus vs Bangladesh series? ;)

Side-note: thank God the adminstrators finally woke up and postponed the Champions Trophy. Pakistan just isn't safe at the moment.

[quote name='Brady' post='1493335' date='Aug 25 2008, 12.56']Apparently Trescothick has admitted to ball tampering during the 2005 Ashes. Anyone know more about it?[/quote]

Only what was on Cricinfo (i.e. that Tresco admitted to using saliva from Murray Mints to help the ball retain its shine). I'm not sure what the ICC can do to stop this from happening though.

[quote name='Paxter' post='1493363' date='Aug 25 2008, 15.53']Only what was on Cricinfo (i.e. that Tresco admitted to using saliva from Murray Mints to help the ball retain its shine). I'm not sure what the ICC can do to stop this from happening though.[/quote]

Ahh, doesn't sound like anything major then, all I heard was 'ball tampering' which can mean a whole lot of things. He might be fined or something like that.

[quote name='Brady' post='1493335' date='Aug 25 2008, 05.56']Apparently Trescothick has admitted to ball tampering during the 2005 Ashes. Anyone know more about it?[/quote]

He sucked sweets in order to shine the ball.

Heh, it doesn't really bother me. I know it's technically against the rules but I think it's a minor infringement at best, and it's not as if Australian players haven't bent or outright broken the rules plenty of times before.

You can bet your ass a lot of Aussie cricket fans will make a big deal about it though. The 2005 Ashes series is still a scar on the collective soul for a lot of [s]us[/s] them.

[quote name='Brady' post='1494333' date='Aug 26 2008, 07.26']Heh, it doesn't really bother me. I know it's technically against the rules but I think it's a minor infringement at best, and it's not as if Australian players haven't bent or outright broken the rules plenty of times before.

You can bet your ass a lot of Aussie cricket fans will make a big deal about it though. The 2005 Ashes series is still a scar on the collective soul for a lot of [s]us[/s] them.[/quote]

I agree with Brady on this one. I read the story yesterday and my first thought was - could it really have made that much difference?

Archived