MLB Thread

The Wedge

[quote name='The Wedge' post='1395486' date='Jun 12 2008, 06.06']Ahh, for the days of NBC's Saturday Game of the Week with Scully and Garagiola. Those were always fun.[/quote]

I preferred Garagiola with Kubek. Scully works best flying solo.

[quote name='The Wedge' post='1395543' date='Jun 12 2008, 09.46']I love it when they build up your hopes and dreams.

;)[/quote]

Yah. But if they crash and burn in October again, at least I have the rest of this month and three more until I have to cry. For now, I ride the roller coaster going, "WHHEEEEEEEE!" :P

[quote name='El Jax Campeador' post='1395534' date='Jun 12 2008, 10.41']Hey! Who are your teams all stars?

Cubs should see:

Soriano, Fukudome and Soto in the starting line up (though Soriano probably won't play).

Lee, Ramierez, Zambrano and Dempster should be named to the team (either one could actually start).

Theriot, DeRosa, Marmol and Wood are all dark horses who should be there (Hell, DeRosa is polling number 2 in the fan voting. Damn you Chase Utley, best player in baseball!).

Now that's all my opinion, but when was the last time the Cubs had some many worthies? Hands down the best Cubs team in forever.[/quote]
None of your three should be starting. In the NL it should be (reserves in parentheses):

C- Brian McCann (Martin and Soto)
1b- Berkman (Pujols or Gonzalez )
2b- Utley (Uggla)
3b- Chipper (Wright and actually Cantu if Chipper is out)
SS- Hanley (Reyes and Tejada)
OF- McLouth, Ludwick, Braun (Bay, Soriano, Burrell, Dunn
SP- Volquez, Webb, Lincecum, Dumpster, Hamels, Sheets, Santana
RP- Lidge, Wood, Marmol, Rauch, Wagner

Didn't check to be sure every team is in there...hmm...I think they are.

They seriously need to change the all-star game to the Great Baseball Popularity Contest with the catchphrase "Let fans show off their ignorance!"

[quote name='Cristiano Bronnaldo' post='1395548' date='Jun 12 2008, 08.48']I preferred Garagiola with Kubek. Scully works best flying solo.[/quote]
Kubek! That's right. I forgot Kubek worked with Joe.

You are correct all around there.

[quote name='Săptămânăpaug' post='1395577' date='Jun 12 2008, 10.03']None of your three should be starting. In the NL it should be (reserves in parentheses):[/quote]

First of all, I said it was opinion. So it doesn't mean I don't recognize where there are plenty of people that should be there. Also, the question was who you wanted from your team, heart on the sleeve kinda question, than who should be there. Besides, aren't you an AL guy, Week? :P

Second, ignorance is bliss in this game, otherwise the American League wouldn't constantly (it seems) be starting nothing but Red Sox and Yankees. Fan voting is what it is. They get some wrong, they get some right. If there wasn't the whole "the winner get homefield advantage in the WS!" crap, then fan voting wouldn't sting as much as it should at times.

[quote name='El Jax Campeador' post='1395620' date='Jun 12 2008, 11.27']Second, ignorance is bliss in this game, otherwise the American League wouldn't constantly (it seems) be starting nothing but Red Sox and Yankees. Fan voting is what it is. They get some wrong, they get some right. If there wasn't the whole "the winner get homefield advantage in the WS!" crap, then fan voting wouldn't sting as much as it should at times.[/quote]
It is the Sox/Yanks vs the NL and it makes me sick. Manny should start or maybe be the top reserve with Hamilton, Bradley, Quentin starting. Youk should be backing up Mourneau. Then Papelbon will be in it and Beckett should maybe be one of the last starters on there. Pedroia and Tek as starters is just embarrassing. Jeter shouldn't be on the team, well maybe as a reserve because SS is so shallow in the AL. Mo probably should be on it.

[quote name='Săptămânăpaug' post='1395683' date='Jun 12 2008, 10.57']It is the Sox/Yanks vs the NL and it makes me sick. Manny should start or maybe be the top reserve with Hamilton, Bradley, Quentin starting. Youk should be backing up Mourneau. Then Papelbon will be in it and Beckett should maybe be one of the last starters on there. Pedroia and Tek as starters is just embarrassing. Jeter shouldn't be on the team, well maybe as a reserve because SS is so shallow in the AL. Mo probably should be on it.[/quote]

I don't think Beckett deserves to be in there, nor does Jeter.

Hell, I don't think anyone from the Yankees deserves to be there except Mo.

[quote name='Mexal der Mann' post='1395687' date='Jun 12 2008, 11.01']I don't think Beckett deserves to be in there, nor does Jeter.

Hell, I don't think anyone from the Yankees deserves to be there except Mo.[/quote]

Thus the fans of the east coast maybe, just [i]maybe[/i], open the door for the NL to win this year. Beacuse, even when the fan voting in the NL is off, at least there's still some good players there. Soto over McCann? Either one is going to work. They've got Utley and Berkman right (and first base is so stacked in the NL right now when you consider Prince and Howard have scuffled some and are probably the ffth and sixth best firstbasement right now). There's a ton to choose from in the outfield, so that'll work itself out fine. And the NL pitching might just be a better than the AL this year, but time will tell there.

It does. Can't really argue it either. But there's a change in the wind. Especially if NL teams learn to use the talent they have in more cohesive ways. :P

And how much fun is the Cubs game going to be today? Throwback day! Celebrating 60 years of the Cubs on WGN. 1948 uniforms for both teams, which means the Boston Braves for Atlanta. Zambrano vs. Hudson? Worst road record vs. best home record? Break out the Old Style it's gonna be fun! :P

Little surreal watching the the Cubs braodcast right now. 1948 camera angles, no replay, typewriter background noises during the broadcast. Oh, and it's all in black and white for the first couple innings. Nice.

[quote name='Mexal der Mann' post='1395687' date='Jun 12 2008, 09.01']Hell, I don't think anyone from the Yankees deserves to be there except Mo.[/quote]

That is a little strong in that ARod has been lights out since returning from the DL. He's pretty close to Crede's numbers and ahead of pretty much everyone else even with the missed time.

I was just thinking about the Broadcast bit and I see you guys already got a page or two on it. Cool. In either case, considering what I had to suffer through last year, the Farmer/Stone pairing is awesome. Both smart, insightful, and always interesting. The play by play ain't terrible either. Singleton had no business in a booth. Its nice to have two people with comfortable, professional broadcast voices up there again. Even Sox fans have liked and respected Stone since his Cubs days. Glad to have him back on the air regularly. And ANY team that has Ron Santo in the booth has absolutely no place to bitch about Hawk 'n' DJ.

Hadn't heard of the Ventura possibility. Got to say, longtime fan of the guy. Became my favorite Sox player after the REAL Pudge retired/forced out. (btw, made a game a few weeks back where they had a tribute to Carlton Fisk, welcoming back to the team/healing any remaining rifts sort of thing. Had him, Ron Kittle, and I think Bo Jackson riding out on the field in Harley's. Pretty cool.)

[quote name='Il Chiarimento' post='1396050' date='Jun 12 2008, 14.29'](btw, made a game a few weeks back where they had a tribute to Carlton Fisk, welcoming back to the team/healing any remaining rifts sort of thing. Had him, Ron Kittle, and I think Bo Jackson riding out on the field in Harley's. Pretty cool.)[/quote]

Apropos of nothing except your mention of Ron Kittle, I thought I'd take a moment and share a memory from the first baseball game that I ever went to. I believe it was 1988 or 1989 and I was 5 or 6 years old. The dad of a family that was friends with my parents was taking his son to an Orioles game at Memorial Stadium and they had an extra ticket and thought I'd want to go too.

We had seats on the third base side of the field, right in the front row right around where third base was, and just next to the visitor's dugout - you could see down inside. We were playing the White Sox that day. Being as it was my first baseball game in my life I was [i]so[/i] excited and I basically talked non-stop through the whole first three innings, chattering about anything and everything that came into mind - the stadium, the plays, whatever. Between the third and the fourth innings this White Sox player comes over and yells up at me, "Hey, kid! Why don't you shut the hell up and buy me a beer?"

He turned and walked off - and on the back of his jersey I saw his name - KITTLE. I was mortified and I didn't say a word for the entire rest of the game. But I will never forget Ron Kittle, even if I know nothing of his baseball career other than on that day he decided to tell me to buy him a beer.

Ron Kittle is popular (My sister's favorite player back than) here cause he's a local boy 'done good'. He's from NW Indiana, even worked in the steel mills for a few years, and started his playing career pretty late. (think he hit the bigs at 26) His first season saw big power, good average, All-Star, and Rookie of the Year accolades. He never quite matched that, but he helped us to the playoffs that year and in Chicago, such timely (we hadn't been since '59) heroics can write your paycheck for the rest of your life whether you play again or not. (ask any of the '85 Bears) He also had a habit of putting home run balls on the roof of old Comiskey, which is awesome. Always liked the guy myself, though I have heard a story or two that he's occasionally unlikable. Though I got to say, your story is awesome. Hell of a way to welcome a kid to the sport. :)

Anyway, Kittle still lives in the area. Was active with an Independent league team (managing/owning or something), not sure if he still is. Shows up on the occasional radio show. And I'm sure he lends his name for money like the best of them. You won't find too many in my area who have a bad word to say about the guy.

Kittle was managing the Schaumburg Flyers a while back when they first formed the team, IIRC. Not sure if he still is.

Plus, his dad Hub Kittle was the ancient pitching coach for the 1982 World Champion St. Louis Cardinals.

Hub. Not enough kids get a sweet nickname like Hub these days.

[quote name='The Wedge' post='1396143' date='Jun 12 2008, 15.26']Kittle was managing the Schaumburg Flyers a while back when they first formed the team, IIRC. Not sure if he still is.

Plus, his dad Hub Kittle was the ancient pitching coach for the 1982 World Champion St. Louis Cardinals.

Hub. Not enough kids get a sweet nickname like Hub these days.[/quote]

Hub Arkesh? I wouldn't want to use the nickname "Hub" after that either... :P

And Kittle hasn't managed the Flyers in a while now. Heading out to a Flyers game next month. Fun baseball that.

[quote name='El Jax Campeador' post='1396172' date='Jun 12 2008, 14.42']Hub Arkesh? I wouldn't want to use the nickname "Hub" after that either... :P[/quote]
Sports talk radio = Minus 30 IQ points.

Keep it off the a.m. dial when the game's not on, Jax.

[quote name='The Wedge' post='1396202' date='Jun 12 2008, 15.54']Sports talk radio = Minus 30 IQ points.

Keep it off the a.m. dial when the game's not on, Jax.[/quote]

:lol:

Why? Haven't you heard? Punk is dead.

ETA: HEY! HEY!

ETA2: Man, the Braves just cannot win on the road. :lol: How you liking Jimmy Ballgame now, Cal?

Archived