MLB Thread

The Wedge

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1380374' date='Jun 2 2008, 16.10']Bah, Joba should be able to put them away in less than 50 pitches.[/quote]

Impossible. I would expect him to strikeout every player and you can't do that in less than 81 pitches!

[quote name='Mexal der Mann' post='1380376' date='Jun 2 2008, 12.13']Impossible. I would expect him to strikeout every player and you can't do that in less than 81 pitches![/quote]
Joba could do it.

[quote name='Mexal der Mann' post='1380381' date='Jun 2 2008, 13.15']Indeed he could. I bow to you :bow:[/quote]
And I of course bow to Joba. That means you're only two steps away from the Chosen One!

[quote name='Săptămânăpaug' post='1379161' date='Jun 1 2008, 12.31']Has he hit 600 yet? No. Griffey will game the same coverage, if not more. I've also seen plenty about the Rays (I'd be happy with more though) and ESPN continually talks about how the Rays are legit and how ridiculous it is that the stands are still empty.

And please, don't even begin to hate on the coverage of Lester's no hitter. That was a huge story, not only because it is a great accomplishment in and of itself but also because of everything that Lester has been through in the last year.[/quote]

*sigh*

Someone didn't have their sarcasm meter on high enough did they?

Joba? Who is that again?

[quote name='El Jax Campeador' post='1380550' date='Jun 2 2008, 14.26']Joba? Who is that again?[/quote]
How dare you, sir!?! Joba is the greatest player in the history of baseball!!! Unless of course you count Jay Bruce. Jay Burce is soooo dreamy. I wonder what would happen if Joba and Bruce Almighty ever met up. It would undoubtedly be the greatest moment in the history of the world!!!!!

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1380556' date='Jun 2 2008, 18.34']How dare you, sir!?! Joba is the greatest player in the history of baseball!!! Unless of course you count Jay Bruce. Jay Burce is soooo dreamy. I wonder what would happen if Joba and Bruce Almighty ever met up. It would undoubtedly be the greatest moment in the history of the world!!!!![/quote]

If only James Loney didn't play on the West Coast! Damn you, ESPN! :P

[quote name='El Jax Campeador' post='1380558' date='Jun 2 2008, 14.36']If only James Loney didn't play on the West Coast! Damn you, ESPN! :P[/quote]
Damn right. And Blake DeWitt. Last time I checked DeWitt had better numbers across the board than Fukudome, but you'd never know it from the way ESPN covers the sport.

As I'm in the NYC area, I'll have the game live. I'm willing to keep a running diary of Joba's antics (excellence?) if anyone's interested - actually, scratch that. I will probably be struck speechless and immobile witnessing this brilliant first act in the impending opus of his career.

I expect that when the sun rises this morning he will already be standing on the mound, staring at home plate, waiting.

This is the biggest thing to happen at Yankees stadium (the Pope's visit pales in comparison); the honor of a dynasty rests on his porcine form; how poetic that the Yanks get to ride the sloping shoulders of Joba into a bright and shiny future.

[quote name='Sal Paradise' post='1380616' date='Jun 2 2008, 19.22']As I'm in the NYC area, I'll have the game live. I'm willing to keep a running diary of Joba's antics (excellence?) if anyone's interested - actually, scratch that. I will probably be struck speechless and immobile witnessing this brilliant first act in the impending opus of his career.[/quote]

It'll be moot if he gets shelled from being so shocked at being a starter in the first inning though, eh?

[quote name='El Jax Campeador' post='1380705' date='Jun 2 2008, 18.30']It'll be moot if he gets shelled from being so shocked at being a starter in the first inning though, eh?[/quote]
Why do you hate Joba so much Jax? Why? He is teh most awesome person of all times!!!!!!

I don't hate. I play devil's advocate. :P

And you're all just lucky that the greatest AAAA player of ALL TIME is back down in the minors at the moment or Mr. Felix Pie would be stealing ALL of Joba's thunder. Fuck Yeah!

[quote name='El Jax Campeador' post='1380705' date='Jun 2 2008, 20.30']It'll be moot if he gets shelled from being so shocked at being a starter in the first inning though, eh?[/quote]

I don't think he'll be shelled in the first inning.

Realistically, I see him pitching 5 innings, striking out 6, walking 3 and giving up 2-3 runs. I think that'd be a pretty solid first start.

[quote name='Mexal der Mann' post='1380723' date='Jun 2 2008, 18.59']I don't think he'll be shelled in the first inning.

Realistically, I see him pitching 5 innings, striking out 6, walking 3 and giving up 2-3 runs. I think that'd be a pretty solid first start.[/quote]
What, we're not playing any more?

Realisically then, I see Joba going no more than four. The first time that lineup turns over Joba's gonna be in trouble.

[quote name='El Jax Campeador' post='1375118' date='May 29 2008, 08.57']"Major" cities without a MLB franchise, some of which have other major sports franchises:

San Jose[/quote]
[quote name='The Wedge' post='1375212' date='May 29 2008, 09.34']San Jose is basically going to have the A's when they move down to Fremont.[/quote]

Officially, San Jose is "Giants territory," which is why the A's are forced to move to Fremont instead of San Jose in the first place. Also, the San Jose Giants (A) play here. Also, also, it takes about the same amount of effort to get to a SF Giants/ SJ Giants/ Oakland A's game from most places in the South Bay.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1380731' date='Jun 2 2008, 22.06']What, we're not playing any more?

Realisically then, I see Joba going no more than four. The first time that lineup turns over Joba's gonna be in trouble.[/quote]

It's possible but we're talking about the Jays. They've been somewhat hot lately but even still, that lineup isn't all that good. It's the pitching that's keeping them competitive.

But I'm not sure. I don't think he'll get hit all that hard. He does have real good stuff. It should be interesting to see how his curve/change up work out.

Im actually very interested in Joba's transition. Hes the best young player on the largest franchise in pro sports so its organically a pretty big story considering hes 22, been a tremendously successful ametuer, tremendously succesful minor leguer and tremendously successful in a very difficult role in the MLB. He does have 50 mlb innings without any gimmicky stuff that would lead us to believe his success is anything but great stuff.

That said i would tend to guess Joba will not be injury free. It is hilarious when i hear he has flawless mechanics, because he doesnt. Ive seen frames of his motion in pinstripes and its not great. He is too quick with his kick, shows signs of the his elbow is good, below the shoulder not bent close to 90 degrees, he is pretty square when he plant his left leg, his external rotation is fine, but his followthrough is terrible. Likely he has been corrected before but refuses to make the change. If you watch his right leg, it doesnt come through with the release. He obviously generates that power by throwing with his whole frame but he doesnt use his whole body to ease the stress on his deceleration muscles. He also has a very straigt left leg at impact which isnt ideal and decreases the amount stress that that leg can take off the elbow/shoulder. When he gets tired these problems will increase. Obviously the Yankees know all this stuff, which leads me to believe that Joba is not receptive to tweaking his mechanics.

Consider also he is being force rushed into stretching his arm out, all without working through it in the minors. The move is the right move, but they are doing it way too quickly. Id be surprised if he makes it the next 40 starts withoiut a significant DL stint.

The Cubs are amazing.

I've never heard his mechanics are flawless. I remember the last game I watched him play, they specifically pointed out how inconsistent his mechanics were.

I don't know enough about mechanics to judge what you just said but that would suck if he's putting too much pressure on his arm.

So are the Cubs just playing like a cat with a hobbled mouse tixt its paws?

Spotting teams runs and then coming back to win like clockwork. It's only June, but if they keep hitting on all cylinders, I think Cub Nation* will be in full effect quite soon.

Ahh, the bandwagon. It's a beautiful thing until too many folks jump onboard and the axles break at just the wrong moment....

....untill that moment, this is going to be rough on my old ticker.

[size=1]*I have yet to hear this term, but suspect it will be coming along shortly. Does everyone now have to pay the Red Sox a royalty for this whole "(insert your team's name here) Nation" crap? I was annoyed when I saw "Cardinal Nation" flash on the Busch Stadium scoreboard during the '06 WS and I'm a Cardinal fan. [/size]

Archived