MLB Thread

The Wedge

[quote name='The Wedge' post='1381300' date='Jun 3 2008, 06.03']Does everyone now have to pay the Red Sox a royalty for this whole "(insert your team's name here) Nation" crap?[/quote]
I think that actually started with the Raiders. Maybe even JT the Brick.

[quote name='Mexal der Mann' post='1381347' date='Jun 3 2008, 06.40']And btw, I hear "Nation" used a lot more in football than I do in Baseball.

Raider Nation, Redskin Nation, ect.[/quote]
See now, I don't get Redskins Nation. Or Red Sox Nation or Cubs Nation, for that matter. Raider Nation makes sense because they are popular all over the country while [i]still having a crap fan base at home[/i]. Unlike those other teams.

[quote name='The Wedge' post='1381576' date='Jun 3 2008, 08.44']why should ESPN even care? They have poker tournaments to show, dammit![/quote]
One of the TV shows in GTA IV is a hilarious mock up poker show. I lol'ed.

Uh... Go Giants! Still not in last place!

[quote name='Mexal der Mann' post='1382299' date='Jun 3 2008, 16.29']Joba looks ugly. According to the gamecast, it doesn't look like he's getting some calls but I don't know. I can't watch the game :(

Either way, 38 pitches, 1 run, 1 hit, 3 walks is ugly.

Hopefully now that he's gotten through that first inning, he'll settle down some.[/quote]
Why is it that the Yankees are on tv EVERY FUCKING DAY except the one day I might actually be interested in watching?

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1382335' date='Jun 3 2008, 19.54']Why is it that the Yankees are on tv EVERY FUCKING DAY except the one day I might actually be interested in watching?[/quote]

No shit man.

They were on last night against the Twins but not tonight when Joba pitches :( It's cause ESPN and Fox have set days where they show games and Tuesday isn't one of them.

I watched most of it. All joking aside, Joba wasn't that bad. Our mocking dialogue was more interesting than his performance.

He threw hard, seemed pretty accurate following the first inning.

Of course, he wouldn't be Joba without obviously repressing a minor tantrum at being pulled upon reaching the limit of his pitch count. The final shot the network provided was him sitting on the bench, sweaty, staring straight ahead while his teammates patted his shoulder in congratulations. No joke, he looked like a sulking bulldog.

[quote name='Sal Paradise' post='1382371' date='Jun 3 2008, 20.13']I watched most of it. All joking aside, Joba wasn't that bad. Our mocking dialogue was more interesting than his performance.

He threw hard, seemed pretty accurate following the first inning.

Of course, he wouldn't be Joba without obviously repressing a minor tantrum at being pulled upon reaching the limit of his pitch count. The final shot the network provided was him sitting on the bench, sweaty, staring straight ahead while his teammates patted his shoulder in congratulations. No joke, he looked like a sulking bulldog.[/quote]

I think that's a combination of being pulled and pitching poorly. I know he didn't pitch all that bad cause he wasn't really hit, but he did walk 4 people in 2.1 innings. He was wild. It happens. But I did see he topped out at 99 mph and that's nice. I wanted to see more from his curve/changeup but mostly all I saw on the gamecast was fastballs and sliders.

Anyway, I think he'll be ok.

2.1 innings...they better hope they get a lot from their next few starters or their bullpen could be in bigger trouble than it already is.

Also, 4 walks in 2.1 innings is awful. If Pedro did it, I'd say it is awful. They better hope he at least goes 4-5 next time out, they really could be hurting the team by overtaxing the bullpen.

[quote name='Săptămânăpaug' post='1382379' date='Jun 3 2008, 19.17']2.1 innings...they better hope they get a lot from their next few starters or their bullpen could be in bigger trouble than it already is.

Also, 4 walks in 2.1 innings is awful. If Pedro did it, I'd say it is awful. They better hope he at least goes 4-5 next time out, they really could be hurting the team by overtaxing the bullpen.[/quote]

They called up a starter from Triple A today to be a long reliever. They'll be fine.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1382392' date='Jun 3 2008, 20.24']Did Joba reach his set pitch limit? Because 60 pitches in 2.1 innings is terrible.[/quote]

Yes. He had as many balls as strikes. You don't walk 4 people in 2.1 innings by throwing a small amount of pitches.

[quote name='Mexal der Mann' post='1382399' date='Jun 3 2008, 16.25']Yes. He had as many balls as strikes. You don't walk 4 people in 2.1 innings by throwing a small amount of pitches.[/quote]
You're right, Joba does have a lot of balls!!! I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. Back on track: 60 pitches in 2.1 innings while walking four batters is a faily terrible outing in my opinion.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1382402' date='Jun 3 2008, 20.28']You're right, Joba does have a lot of balls!!! I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. Back on track: 60 pitches in 2.1 innings while walking four batters is a faily terrible outing in my opinion.[/quote]

It could have been far worse. He could have given up 4 runs in the first inning on 3 hits.

Meanwhile, Josh Hamilton just jacked another home run. That guy is insane.

He is doing all of this on a body with a ton of mileage on it. Must be an unbelievable athlete. Think of his potential production if he hadn't spent years punishing himself.

(sidenote: did anyone see that Sports Illustrated had a cover feature on Hamilton in the latest issue? Leave it to them to address a story literally a year after it broke.)

[quote name='Sal Paradise' post='1382411' date='Jun 3 2008, 20.34']Meanwhile, Josh Hamilton just jacked another home run. That guy is insane.

He is doing all of this on a body with a ton of mileage on it. Must be an unbelievable athlete. Think of his potential production if he hadn't spent years punishing himself.

(sidenote: did anyone see that Sports Illustrated had a cover feature on Hamilton in the latest issue? Leave it to them to address a story literally a year after it broke.)[/quote]

No I didn't see that.

But yea, his story is pretty insane. I can't believe he's playing as well as he's playing. It really is unreal.

[quote name='Sal Paradise' post='1382411' date='Jun 3 2008, 19.34'](sidenote: did anyone see that Sports Illustrated had a cover feature on Hamilton in the latest issue? Leave it to them to address a story literally a year after it broke.)[/quote]

It was a pretty good article. But yeah....all this Hamilton love over the past week is getting to be too much. Just like every other story (Joba, Ortiz, whatever), they are overdoing it. He's leading in all of the triple crown stats, so all of a sudden everyone wants to interview him and go over his story for the casual sports fan. Definitely getting tired of hearing about it.

ETA - That said, I do agree that his comeback is pretty amazing.

ESPN has created a new statistic in order to quantify Joba's greatness (or maybe to pass his start off as anything but dismal): the well hit pitch. From now on W's and L's no longer matter, nor do K's and BB's, and ERA is a joke stat. The only stat that matters is the WHP. Joba currently has the lowest WHP in the majors! All hail king Joba!

[quote name='Mexal der Mann' post='1382299' date='Jun 3 2008, 19.29']Joba looks ugly. According to the gamecast, it doesn't look like he's getting some calls but I don't know. I can't watch the game :(

Either way, 38 pitches, 1 run, 1 hit, 3 walks is ugly.

Hopefully now that he's gotten through that first inning, he'll settle down some.[/quote]

Where's your Joba NOW? :P

Archived