"Twilight" by Stephanie Meyer - A YA vampire novel

potsherds

[quote]Meh, is this insistence on having a child no matter what, even when it would kill the mother some sort of Mormon thing?[/quote]

No. I have friends who had to make that choice (who are LDS) and they chose the life of the mother since it was likely the childbirth would kill her. Luckily both were fine. I would hate to think of being in that situation where you had to make that choice.

Oh yes, I heard that Card has a lot of horrible shit like this in his books, didn't he also written about gay man who got turned around to the light by having wife and kids? I stopped reading him awhile ago and I do not plan to resume.

SPOILER: BD
[quote]placenta-eating boyfriend? I surely hope so.[/quote]

No, it's not just that. He probably slurps up some of this, but hey, cats do it too. I am not sure if
he actually eats any of the uterus, there was a debate about it among fans :rofl: , but the thing is, a baby needs to be cut out of Bella, so her lovers cut her apart, but the half-vampiric baby has a increadibly thick sack, and it can only be cut with vampiric teeth. So Edward lowers his head into cut open bleeding abdomen of his love and starts chewing :ack:

Few charming quotes:
SPOILER: beauty of new life

It was not just a scream, it was a blood-curdling shriek of agony. The horrifying sound cut off with a gurgle, and her eyes rolled back into her head. Her body twitched, arched in Rosalie's arms, and then Bella vomited a fountain of blood.

Bella's body, streaming with red, started to twitch, jerking around in Rosalie's arms like she was being electrocuted. All the while, her face was blank - unconscious. It was the wild thrashing from inside the center of her body that moved her. As she convulsed, sharp snaps and cracks kept time with the spasms.

Another shattering crack inside her body, the loudest yet, so loud that we both froze in shock waiting for her answering shriek. Nothing. Her legs, which had been curled up in agony, now went limp, sprawling out in an unnatural way.
"Her spine," he choked in horror.

Sounds like exactly the book for kids, all right.

[quote name='Angalin' post='1470286' date='Aug 6 2008, 17.04']Pots - suggest "Sunshine", by Robin McKinley. Also vampiric, but actually well-written.[/quote]
I did, actually. I love that book. :)

Trencher, aren't you banned by now? Can you stfu about Mormonism, pretty please? You've obviously got no clue what ultra-conservative religious culture in America is like.

Thanks for the quotes y'all. That poor woman really has to be off her rocker.

[quote name='potsherds' post='1476139' date='Aug 11 2008, 23.07']I did, actually. I love that book. :)

Trencher, aren't you banned by now? Can you stfu about Mormonism, pretty please?

Thanks for the quotes y'all. That poor woman really has to be off her rocker.[/quote]

??? Why would I be banned? I didn't bring the subject up. I'm sorry you think I should be censored. How tolerant of you. :lol:

[quote]You've obviously got no clue what ultra-conservative religious culture in America is like.[/quote]

Apparently you think it's about sparkling vampires?

After eading the first 60 pages of this bookI desperately wished some Jihadists would stop by and raze Forks,Washinton to the ground. Then I realized that some had finally made the hack, blantent theft rehashing of the first season of Buffy the Vampire slayer, you know with out the depth of character, we have all been wishing for. Then I hated myself for reading what I did.

Also the comic on the review site was great, does any one know who made it?

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Mathis Bright' post='1476228' date='Aug 11 2008, 21.33']After eading the first 60 pages of this bookI desperately wished some Jihadists would stop by and raze Forks,Washinton to the ground. Then I realized that some had finally made the hack, blantent theft rehashing of the first season of Buffy the Vampire slayer, you know with out the depth of character, we have all been wishing for. Then I hated myself for reading what I did.

Also the comic on the review site was great, does any one know who made it?[/quote]

Which comic?

Anyway, from the reviews that I've read, I get the impression that Edward Cullen doesn't have much of a personality beyond his sparkling good looks. Basically he seems to be a blank slate on which people can project anything. Like these fine people did [url="http://oxymoronassoc.livejournal.com/462027.html#cutid1"]right[/url] [url="http://oxymoronassoc.livejournal.com/462772.html"]over[/url] [url="http://oxymoronassoc.livejournal.com/468348.html#cutid1"]here[/url].

Growing Up Cullen FTW!

Also, for some hilarious laughs, and honest to God this is actually true, this is a paraphrase of what Robert Pattison (the poor guy playing Edward) actually said about Eddy: "The more I read about this guy the more I hated him. I played him as a manic-depressive who hates himself. Plus, he's a 108-year-old virgin so he's obviously got issues."

[quote name='Joanna Nox' post='1501025' date='Aug 31 2008, 09.39']Growing Up Cullen FTW!

Also, for some hilarious laughs, and honest to God this is actually true, this is a paraphrase of what Robert Pattison (the poor guy playing Edward) actually said about Eddy: "The more I read about this guy the more I hated him. I played him as a manic-depressive who hates himself. Plus, he's a 108-year-old virgin so he's obviously got issues."[/quote]

:rofl: That quote is awesome.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1501080' date='Aug 31 2008, 12.28']:rofl: That quote is awesome.[/quote]

I love it. The full quote:

"When you read the book, it's like, 'Edward Cullen was so beautiful I creamed myself.' I mean, every line is like that. He's the most ridiculous person who's so amazing at everything. I think a lot of actors tried to play that aspect. I just couldn't do that. And the more I read the script, the more I hated this guy, so that's how I played him, as a manic-depressive who hates himself. Plus, he's a 108-year-old virgin so he's obviously got some issues there."

Latest in the Meyers soap opera:

Apparently she was rewriting the first book in the series from the sparkly vampire's POV. Someone leaked the first several chapters to the internet, so the author put on her website that she is now not going to write the book because her feelings are so hurt.

In other words, a trusted person she gave a rough draft to leaked the book, so now she is going to punish her fans for that? (At least that is the end result, is it not?)

Another compelling reason (along with the disgusting spoilers from book four) for me to avoid the Twilight series at all costs. :leaving:

[quote name='duchess of malfi' post='1501208' date='Aug 31 2008, 22.29']Latest in the Meyers soap opera:

Apparently she was rewriting the first book in the series from the sparkly vampire's POV. Someone leaked the first several chapters to the internet, so the author put on her website that she is now not going to write the book because her feelings are so hurt.

In other words, a trusted person she gave a rough draft to leaked the book, so now she is going to punish her fans for that? (At least that is the end result, is it not?)

Another compelling reason (along with the disgusting spoilers from book four) for me to avoid the Twilight series at all costs. :leaving:[/quote]

There's a pretty loud rumour she did it on purpose because she didn't really want to write the book. :D

[quote name='Cruella_Da_Oz' post='1473627' date='Aug 9 2008, 05.03']

No, it's not just that. He probably slurps up some of this, but hey, cats do it too. I am not sure if
he actually eats any of the uterus, there was a debate about it among fans :rofl: , but the thing is, a baby needs to be cut out of Bella, so her lovers cut her apart, but the half-vampiric baby has a increadibly thick sack, and it can only be cut with vampiric teeth. So Edward lowers his head into cut open bleeding abdomen of his love and starts chewing :ack:
[/quote]
That would be funny if it weren't so incredibly disgusting. It seriously makes me wonder what she was trying to achieve with this book.

[quote name='potsherds' post='1476139' date='Aug 11 2008, 22.07']I did, actually. I love that book. :)[/quote]
Me too :D

[quote name='Zap Rowsdower' post='1501022' date='Aug 31 2008, 08.27']Anyway, from the reviews that I've read, I get the impression that Edward Cullen doesn't have much of a personality beyond his sparkling good looks. Basically he seems to be a blank slate on which people can project anything. Like these fine people did [url="http://oxymoronassoc.livejournal.com/462027.html#cutid1"]right[/url] [url="http://oxymoronassoc.livejournal.com/462772.html"]over[/url] [url="http://oxymoronassoc.livejournal.com/468348.html#cutid1"]here[/url].[/quote]
:rofl: Those are all quite plausible, actually. Though I bet the author was less than pleased about Pattinson's dissing of her romantic hero.

[quote name='duchess of malfi' post='1501208' date='Aug 31 2008, 15.29']Apparently she was rewriting the first book in the series from the sparkly vampire's POV.[/quote]
It's [i]terrible![/i] I could only read one page. "[X]'s mind was a shallow pool with few surprises."

Don't forget, Eddy's REALLY creepy when he describes Bella, and I swear, it's Oh My God Get This Fucker Away From Me creepy. When Bella's angry at him, he describes her anger as being like "a furious kitten" and "a kitten convinced it was a tiger" and being completely amused. Ew ew ew! Let's not even get into his nighttime habits :uhoh:

Archived