College Football 2008

Rhom

ESPN radio this morning reported that UW may be interested in going after Lane Kiffin (late of the Oakland Raiders). He did some good stuff as a coordinator in college before taking the Raiders job, he might not be a bad fit for the position.

Michigan State fans sure arent pulling any [url="http://www.lansingsportsrage.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1205:hey-little-sister&catid=21:msu-football&Itemid=78"]punches [/url]after joining the growing list of teams to kick Michigans ass. :lol:

Can't say I'm losing any sleep over how craptastic Michigan is this year. This is what we call a losing season. As it's thier first in recent memory, I'm enjoying watching thier reaction in a way that a parent enjoys watching his children open presents on Christmas morning.

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1570971' date='Oct 28 2008, 20.41']I got a ticket today to The Worlds Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party. Hell Yeah!!!! I leave Thursday morning to St. Simon's Island. We have a van and drive ready to take us to and from Jacksonville on Saturday.[/quote]

Hope you have a blast, if you are able to post by Wednesday, let us know how it was.

Lane Kiffen or Mora Jr. would be a good fit at U DUB, but they have too rebuild from the start, Ty did not do a good job in recruiting.

Florida is the real deal, they will beat GA, they have more playmakers on both sides of the ball and a far superior coach. Alabama are pretenders, they will not win the SEC.

IMO the top three teams in the country are Florida/Texas/USC, with USC the best defensively (there's a reason Vegas loves USC). Texas Tech has a chance to prove they can play some defense this weekend, if they win they deserve to be up there for consideration.

Still not buying Penn State, that game against OSU was boring and uninspired compared to the high powered offenses of Texas and Florida. I expected them to punch the Buckeyes in the mouth and instead they just slogged through it.

[quote name='Commodore' post='1570980' date='Oct 28 2008, 23.55']Florida is the real deal, they will beat GA, they have more playmakers on both sides of the ball and a far superior coach. Alabama are pretenders, they will not win the SEC.[/quote]

You think Meyer is far superior to Richt? Why? Meyer hasn't coached in a major conference for very long and they haven't gone head to head enough for me to draw a conclusion.

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1570995' date='Oct 28 2008, 23.57']You think Meyer is far superior to Richt? Why? Meyer hasn't coached in a major conference for very long and they haven't gone head to head enough for me to draw a conclusion.[/quote]

All the SEC offenses are anemic compared to Florida (and the Big 12), and that has alot to do with Meyer's abiilities as a coach and recruiter.

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1570971' date='Oct 28 2008, 23.41']I got a ticket today to The Worlds Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party. Hell Yeah!!!! I leave Thursday morning to St. Simon's Island. We have a van and drive ready to take us to and from Jacksonville on Saturday.[/quote]
Congrats on the ticket. Let me be the first to offer you condolences on your upcoming loss. :P

Have fun and try to avoid picking up a pair of souvenir jorts. It should be a blast. I am very jealous.

USC looks like they have a great defense because the Pac 10 is putrid this year. Pac 10 QBs are dropping like flies. Of course, this will be reinforced when USC plays an impotent Big 10 team in the Rose Bowl.

Well I haven't posted about Buffalo in a while thanks to being in England and therefore unable to see any of their games recently, also I was sorta disgusted by two of our losses. Luckily last night's game was on ESPNU, so I managed to see the Bulls beat Ohio 32-19. It sure wasn't a great game, but a win's a win, especially as we try to reach our first ever bowl game. I saw that we still suffer from a lot of the same problems as we always do: our Defense giving it their all and playing great the first half, only to fall apart somewhat in the second half giving up some hugely demoralizing drives, and a lack of a killer instinct, getting way to conservative on offense when we have the lead.

This isn't really too big an issue right now though, we're in the MAC East, everyone has got serious issues. It's the MAC West that's making the leap right now, go nationally ranked Ball State, go! We're 4-4 (MAC 2-2) and are currently tied for the division lead.

Two other fun notes: This is the first time we've been at or above .500 going into Nov. since entering 1-A. And counting last night's game, none of our final 5 games are on Saturday.

[quote name='SergioCQH' post='1571027' date='Oct 28 2008, 22.59']USC looks like they have a great defense because the Pac 10 is putrid this year. Pac 10 QBs are dropping like flies. Of course, this will be reinforced when USC plays an impotent Big 10 team in the Rose Bowl.[/quote]

Only one team USC has faced so far has a QB problem (Oregon). USC was even more dominant on defense against Virginia and Ohio State than against Pac 9 competition (WSU is now officially relegated).

The Pac 10 problems overall have been defensive, not offensive. Shutting down Pac 10 offenses is still an achievement.

[quote name='Commodore' post='1570980' date='Oct 28 2008, 23.55']Florida is the real deal, they will beat GA, they have more playmakers on both sides of the ball and a far superior coach. Alabama are pretenders, they will not win the SEC.[/quote]

Sounds a lot like what I heard before last years game. I am not so sure I understand the superior coach thing. Both are good. Meyer, superior????????

H von T - Good luck. I am bringing a box of tissues for Tebow so he is prepared during the post game news conference. I am sure he will start crying about how the loss hurts so much. :)

[quote name='S John' post='1570141' date='Oct 28 2008, 10.19']Michigan State fans sure arent pulling any [url="http://www.lansingsportsrage.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1205:hey-little-sister&catid=21:msu-football&Itemid=78"]punches [/url]after joining the growing list of teams to kick Michigans ass. :lol:

Can't say I'm losing any sleep over how craptastic Michigan is this year. This is what we call a losing season. As it's thier first in recent memory, I'm enjoying watching thier reaction in a way that a parent enjoys watching his children open presents on Christmas morning.[/quote]
:rolleyes:

Pitt plays Notre Dame this weekend, I'm actually going to be forced to pull for Pitt. There is an article all about this on ESPN, but I'll summarize a bit:

The Gator Bowl, normally reserved for the Big East #2, is able to take Notre Dame instead as long as they come within 2 wins of the Big East #2. The BE commisioner made this deal with the Gator Bowl, tacking ND on with the Big East, in order to secure the tie-in when Miami, VT, and BC left the conference.

ND is sitting at 6 wins, all they have to do is get one or two more wins and theyll be within striking distance of whoever comes out second in the Big East. The next bowl tie-in down for the BE is the freaking Mineke Car Care Bowl. So we could end up with a situation where a 7-5 Notre Dame is picked over a 9-3 WVU, USF, or UCONN. A loss to a Big East team Saturday might help curb the chances of that happening. For the love of God, we need to stop pandering to these bastards. Any situation that causes me to pull for Pitt is a bad one.

Mizzou had 2 bad days at work and came home to beat the dog.

Kansas got waxed and very well could lose again before they see Mizzou in the final game of the season. Wether they do or not, Mizzou is in the driver's seat to take the North. Then they can get another shot at Texas....and get their asses handed to them again (or a shot at TT, or OK, or OKST again). The only chance they have is to get their defense on track. Right now they're terrible, but showed signs of improvement against a weak Colorado team. It's not easy to shut anyone out. Doing that was a big win in itself. Missouri has shown in the past 2 years that they don't play well if they get behind early.

Some people around here were all worked up after the Texas thrashing, but they need to chill. It's not easy getting a national championship, no one can ever expect to have it handed to them. It would be a huge victory just to win a conference championship. If they play like they're supposed to, they'll get another chance to do just that.

NC
Penn State
Texas

Rose Bowl
Oregon State
Ohio State

Fiesta Bowl
Oklahoma
Boise State

Orange Bowl
ACC champ (who the fuck can call this?)
West Virginia

Sugar Bowl
Florida
USC

Alabama gets left out by virtue of being ranked under USC since neither win their conferences USC gets the one open at large bid. Boise State (or Utah) get in earning the top twelve automatic bid they are eligible for. obviously an Oklahoma Alabama game would be awesome, as would an Oklahoma USC rematch or an Oklahoma Boise state rematch. :) But I want to see USC play the SEC. even though we're not that great against mobile QBs. :P

[quote name='lockesnow' post='1573074' date='Oct 31 2008, 04.17']NC
Penn State
Texas

Rose Bowl
Oregon State
Ohio State

Fiesta Bowl
Oklahoma
Boise State

Orange Bowl
ACC champ (who the fuck can call this?)
West Virginia

Sugar Bowl
Florida
USC[/quote]

IIRC, the Fiesta Bowl has flat-out stated that if things work out where Oklahoma will be going to the Fiesta Bowl again they are going to try to work a deal where OU goes to either the Rose or Sugar Bowl and the Fiesta Bowl will get one of those teams.

Faelar

Archived