College Football

Gold Storm

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1611424' date='Dec 6 2008, 21.26']Well, I'm pulling for Mizzou but I'm ready to declare a Sooner victory. Time to switch over to the Mountaineer game..[/quote]

Unfortunately I need to head out soon, but Id love it for Pat to get out just one more time. especially against USF, who is the only team that has consistently shut him down.

So far our short yardage game (or lack of one) is killing us yet again. The defense has been playing shitty, Grothe has had all damn day. If it wasnt for Glover single handedly creating and recorvering a fumble [i]and [/i]snagging an interception it would be 21-10 USF right now. I just hope we can come out in the second half like we did in the Auburn game and shred em up. I can hope at least

I've seen a number of big 12 games this year. I've seen their big 4 qbs in action. They are good, but not as great as their numbers would indicate. Their wide recievers are wide open usually and their OLs are rarely threatened. Look at the game tonight. Bradford has all day back there to pass. Tebow this afternoon had a much better performance against a far better defence. He actually had to pass to recievers who were covered! *gasp* That first and last td throw he had were amazing throws that were right where they needed to be for a td.

I am also not sure I agree with people here about Florida's d line being the mvp today. They certainly weren't doing well during the 3rd quarter. Tebow had to do a ton with Harvin gone. Huge number of throws and runs. Tebow for repeat Heisman I'd have to say.

[quote name='Smiler' post='1604545' date='Dec 1 2008, 08.32']Redeyedghost: Great game, and congratulations to the Jayhawks. We were at the game, about 6 rows from the top. Cold, cold, cold. It will probably go down as one of the most classic MU/KU games, with the snow, the comebacks, etc. It was only appropriate we would get beat by the same thing that has killed us all year, terrible pass coverage. 4th and 7.....unbelievable. The only consilation for me was that it happened this year, and not last year. I actually knew we were in trouble when we came out with the gold jerseys. Special jerseys don't seem to work out well for anyone. I will say they looked much more badass in person than they did on tv. They weren't as bright in person. Maybe we'll pull em out for next year's Gold Rush. I really want to get the games back to the campuses. Unfortunately, they committed to Arrowhead for 4 more years. It just brings a different crowd. Idiots from both sides. It's like amateur hour or something, an excuse to get trashed and be a complete dumbass. I'm all for lighting it up and everything, but c'mon! The loss didn't hurt too bad because:

Scenario 1: MU beats KU, loses to OU in championship game = mediocre bowl game for MU
Scenario 2: MU loses to KU, loses to OU in championship game = mediocre bowl game for MU
Scenario 3: MU beats KU, wins Big 12 championship game = Fiesta Bowl
Scenario 4: MU loses to KU, wins Big 12 championship game = Fiesta Bowl

Either way, it's Fiesta Bowl or bust...and it looked like for the first half Mizzou was thinking the same.[/quote]

Agreed, Smiler, great game. I would have loved to be playing tonight, but damn OU is just sick. I totally agree about Arrowhead, it's been a completely different environment, and I'm pissed that they've agreed to play the next 4 games there.

At least you guys will get a better bowl game then the freaking "only on the motherfuckin NFL network Insight Bowl". Why the fuck is a bowl game on the NFL network :tantrum: Stupid Big 12.

So how much will Florida beat OU by? 21?

The Big 12 has like 5 of the top 8-9 rated QBs in the country. And it is really more than that because a couple of those are from teams like Tulsa. So you can either believe that the Big 12 really does have 5 historically great QBs that are all putting out stellar years at the same time. Or you can think that the Big 12 is just a bit weak on defense. Seeing the games I'd have to lean towards the later. Bradford tonight had eons of time in the pocket to throw to open receivers.

There is no way you can tell who would win between Fla and OU, there is just nothing to base that comparison on.

Same could be said for USC and Texas.

All of these 1 loss teams and only two get chosen, it's a total travesty. I no longer have much interest in college football other than betting.

How hard is it to make an 8 team playoff using the current bowls, it's simple and only a couple extra games to play at most.

I think UF will win more because of OU's penchant for choking in BCS bowl games. They're going to spend the next month thinking WE'RE THE BEST TEAM EVAH! OMG!!11!!1! 5 GAMES IN A ROW WITH 60+ POINTS! UF will come into the game better prepared and the game will be over at the half.

FWIW, I think UT-UF would be a much better, more competitive game.

I also hate that the voters tomorrow will vote differently this week than they would have 6 weeks ago. 6 weeks ago OU would have moved to #1, and Texas to #2 - but now at the end of the season we can't have two teams from the conference 1-2 because that would undermine the BCS so they'll just slot UF in at #2. In no way am I advocating an OU-UT championship game, I just think it's bs that they'll vote differently in the final week than they do the rest of the year.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1611568' date='Dec 7 2008, 03.53']I think UF will win more because of OU's penchant for choking in BCS bowl games. They're going to spend the next month thinking WE'RE THE BEST TEAM EVAH! OMG!!11!!1! 5 GAMES IN A ROW WITH 60+ POINTS! UF will come into the game better prepared and the game will be over at the half.

FWIW, I think UT-UF would be a much better, more competitive game.[/quote]

Heh, funny you put it that way becuase thats exactly how I feel about it. I think Oklahoma is going to be in a world of trouble when they play a defense that knows how to cover the pass. I've watched a lot of Big 12 games this year and those quarterbacks are great, they really are, but thier recievers are wide fucking open [i]all the time[/i].

I've said this in earlier posts: Oklahoma blows people out becuase they are bullies, they intimidate thier conference opponents. Thats why Oklahoma keeps losing these bowl games, they have an overly high opinion of themselves and everyone theyve played along the way (cept Texas) has shared that opinion and allowed themselves to buy into it. So then they go to a bowl game to play a solid team that is removed from that... and Oklahoma loses. I'm telling you, Bradford can be rattled. West Virginia did it, Florida can do it too. I expect them too.

Florida will not be intimidated by them, they'll get after Bradford, they'll cover thier recievers, and I think they'll beat 'em. Everyone is going to be so fucking surprised that the Oklahoma juggarnaut went out like a bitch in the BCS, but I'm not going to be surprised at all when that happens. I think Texas is the much better choice for the Big 12. I'm not that intersted in seeing the SEC win three in a row, but I want Oklahoma to get stomped so bad that I'm willing to set it aside. I'll be pulling for the Gators.

I think Florida will win. They have a much stronger defense and a more explosive offence. They also have superior coaching. There are some coaches if who you give them a month to prepare are deadly. Meyer and Caroll are two examples of this. All OU really has as an advantage is they have a little stronger O-line/power game. I don't think it will be enough to make a difference given what they lack in other regards.

[quote name='S John' post='1611579' date='Dec 7 2008, 01.35']Heh, funny you put it that way becuase thats exactly how I feel about it. I think Oklahoma is going to be in a world of trouble when they play a defense that knows how to cover the pass. I've watched a lot of Big 12 games this year and those quarterbacks are great, they really are, but thier recievers are wide fucking open [i]all the time[/i].

I've said this in earlier posts: Oklahoma blows people out becuase they are bullies, they intimidate thier conference opponents. Thats why Oklahoma keeps losing these bowl games, they have an overly high opinion of themselves and everyone theyve played along the way (cept Texas) has shared that opinion and allowed themselves to buy into it. So then they go to a bowl game to play a solid team that is removed from that... and Oklahoma loses. I'm telling you, Bradford can be rattled. West Virginia did it, Florida can do it too. I expect them too.

Florida will not be intimidated by them, they'll get after Bradford, they'll cover thier recievers, and I think they'll beat 'em. Everyone is going to be so fucking surprised that the Oklahoma juggarnaut went out like a bitch in the BCS, but I'm not going to be surprised at all when that happens. I think Texas is the much better choice for the Big 12. I'm not that intersted in seeing the SEC win three in a row, but I want Oklahoma to get stomped so bad that I'm willing to set it aside. I'll be pulling for the Gators.[/quote]
You are wise. and I agree completely. Oklahoma (and Nebraska when they are up) are the big bullies of the Big12, they've got everyone else intimidated except texas. that's why it's exciting to see teams like Texas Techn, MU, and Kansas having big up years for the first time, they're starting to stand up for themselves.

rankings predictions for later today

1. Florida
2. Oklahoma
3. Texas
4. Alabama
5. USC

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1611115' date='Dec 6 2008, 11.36']Doesn't matter too much really in the Red Raider's sake. If Missouri wins them and UT go to BCS bowls. If OU wins its them and UT. In no scenario does TT get to go due to the 2 team rule.[/quote]

Yes, I realized that. I just wanted OU to lose for the sake of losing. But they didn't so that's that. Texas got screwed... but that's that as well. (Sorry this post is late. I have been really busy *gasp* working at work.)

Archived