College Football

Gold Storm

[quote name='SergioCQH' post='1604043' date='Nov 30 2008, 19.13']What an infuriating end to the season for Texas fans to watch two teams you beat playing for the conference championship.

OTOH, it will be fun to see OU lose its FIFTH straight BCS game.[/quote]

Beat TTech and this wouldn't be an issue. Every team in the Big 12 and SEC had their destiny in their own hands. Win out and you played for a NC. If you drop one or more and your fate is in the hands of the machine overlords.

[quote name='Ken Stone' post='1604073' date='Nov 30 2008, 19.57']Beat TTech and this wouldn't be an issue. Every team in the Big 12 and SEC had their destiny [b]in their own hands[/b]. Win out and you played for a NC. If you drop one or more and your fate is in the hands of the machine overlords.[/quote]

+1

Go Gators!

In case anyone cares. In case of a 3 way tie in the SEC, this is how they decide it.

The Southeastern Conference tiebreaker says that in the event of a three-way tie, the team that is rated the highest will be the division champion unless it lost to the second-highest rated team, and that team is within five places in the BCS standings. You can bet emphasis is added. And you can bet that the Big 12 will revisit this rule after the season.

From an article by Maisel on ESPN.

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1604020' date='Nov 30 2008, 17.43']Arakasi - You are right about most, but I telling you that UGA was eliminated in some peoples eyes last year b/c they did not win their division. I heard people on ESPN say it. I had to listen to Herbstreit on the radio in Atlanta try to explain why not winning the conference should matter when he was all for a OSU vs. Michigan rematch the year before. I remember seeing a round table of the experts talking about who it should be. They started by saying that you first eliminate UGA b/c they did not win the conference. I think every year is different and this one is unusual with 3 - 1 loss teams in the division. They all have a case. There is still a lot of football to be played. It should be interesting.[/quote]

Well you can take what Herbstreit says in one of 2 ways.

1) He made the call on Michigan, and then when both them and OSU got smoked he realized the error of his ways and went back to a traditionalist approach.

2) He is a big 10 homer and you really shouldn't trust anything he says.

I go with 2. :P

As for last year, I think it was tough because there were so many 2 loss team vying for that spot. This year despite the 3 way tie in the Big 12 south its a bit simpler. You easily have Bama/Florida as one of the teams. Than there is a grand total of 5 teams for the other slot, 3 from the Big 12 south, USC and PSU. (Sorry Utah and Boise State)

When you factor in the strengths of those 3 conferences you pretty much have to say that one of the teams is from the Big 12 south, even if Texas gets in with an OU loss to Missouri. The division (and conference) is just too strong to overlook. I love the Pac 10, but right now they have 2 strong teams (USC + Oregon, oh I wish they hadn't had so many QB issues this year. That cost them 2 wins, the Boise St. and Cal games anyway) and 3-4 weaker ones. Big 10 has no rep right now, and they beat almost no one OOC. No one is taking them seriously until they change their ways. Thus it has to be the Big 12. They are by far the strongest conference in college football. To not have them represented in the title game would be a joke.

[quote name='SergioCQH' post='1604043' date='Nov 30 2008, 19.13']What an infuriating end to the season for Texas fans to watch two teams you beat playing for the conference championship.

OTOH, it will be fun to see OU lose its FIFTH straight BCS game.[/quote]

I actually think this is what is going to happen. I think Oklahoma plays really well against familiar competition, teams that they can sucessfully bully. They definitely intimidate thier conference opponents, except for Texas.

I felt that in the first quarter of yesterdays game, Oklahoma State was able to come out and get after Bradford and it was working. You can't give him any time or he'll burn you, but I'm certain that he can be rattled. Watch last years Fiesta Bowl, he looked like a deer in headlights against a fast agressive D. I think 'Bama would play them close, but I think Florida would beat OU pretty solidly. Florida has a stout D and just as much firepower on O.

[quote name='S John' post='1604174' date='Nov 30 2008, 22.33']I actually think this is what is going to happen. I think Oklahoma plays really well against familiar competition, teams that they can sucessfully bully. They definitely intimidate thier conference opponents, except for Texas.

I felt that in the first quarter of yesterdays game, Oklahoma State was able to come out and get after Bradford and it was working. You can't give him any time or he'll burn you, but I'm certain that he can be rattled. Watch last years Fiesta Bowl, he looked like a deer in headlights against a fast agressive D. I think 'Bama would play them close, but I think Florida would beat OU pretty solidly. Florida has a stout D and just as much firepower on O.[/quote]

The Big 12 needs to be careful about its BCS bow berths or at least recognize the position they're in, which is similar to 2006. It looks like Texas should win the Fiesta against any opponent they play (assuming the CCG goes as planned), but god forbid they lose and the OU-Florida beatdown takes place.

On the flip side every Big 10 fan should be rooting for this outcome.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1603971' date='Nov 30 2008, 14.15']USC is not going to swoop in. I don't see how people just ignore the circumstances that made what happened last year possible. Go back to the links I gave to THR for the facts I'll be referring here.

1) Last year when Georgia got passed they were of medium strength in computer rankings (they were at .830 and dropped to .800 after the conference title games)
2) Teams that passed Georgia (VT and LSU) were pretty much tied with Georgia in computer rankings before that last weekend.
3) This year USC has awful computer rankings (currently .730)
4) The team that USC has to compete with (UT) has a .940 computer rankings, and is ranked higher in all polls.
5) USC is playing UCLA. UCLA sucks this year. Beating them will not get USC any credit. VT beat #11 BC and LSU beat #14 Tennessee. OU beat #1 Missouri.

I love USC just as much as the next guy. I'm a pac 10 supporter at heart. But they're not going to be in the title game no matter what happens. Texas is way too far in front of them for beating a crappy UCLA team to give them any help. Add in that the Pac 10 is considered to be down this year and the Big 12 is considered to be very strong and there is no way a 1 loss USC is going in there in front of a 1 loss Texas. It just isn't happening.

Repeat after me, there is no requirement that a team must win its conference to get in the title game. All it is is an extra week of games where teams get one more chance to prove themselves and make a play for votes. USC is way too far down in both polls and in computer standings (they are awful compared to the situation VT/OU/LSU were in last year) to make it up. Beating gimped UCLA means nothing because UCLA sucks. If they were playing Cal then maybe. But they're not.

Edit: Just go look at [url="http://www.bcsguru.com/"]http://www.bcsguru.com/[/url].[/quote]
So you're saying West Coast teams shouldn't get the same preferential treatment that other teams received in the past because some damn computer is hating on them all biased and shit?

;) :cheers:

Pretty good college football weekend...

VT beats UVA for the 5th straight time (9 out of 10 now, I believe). I should have posted these before the game, but here's Colin Cowherd's rants on UVA football - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RidU6ILUQNE"]Rant part 1[/url], [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zKxcXfKYgY&feature=related"]Rant part 2[/url]. The only bad thing about beating UVA [i]again[/i], is that their AD declined to exercise the "rolling" option on Al Groh's contract...so now he's only down to 3 years (he originally had a 5 year "rolling" contract, but I think he lost the 5th year after we beat him last year...or was it two years ago...it's hard to keep up). So please, UVA, keep Coach Groh there for a long long time. Just check out [url="http://www.dontfirealgroh.com/"]his facebook page[/url] (although it's not up to date).

ACC beats SEC in 3 out of 4 games (although I was hoping FSU would keep it closer against UF).

[url="http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/West%20Virginia%20Burning%20Couch.jpg"]WVU loses[/url].

Clemson has apparently decided on Dabo Swinney as their head coach. Which means it won't be Bud Foster (still sweating other head coaching openings, though).

So now we play BC in the ACCCG. Again. After losing to them in the regular season. Again. I feel pretty good about it, off the cuff...as I think we actually outplayed them for 75% of the game earlier this season, and they lost their starting QB last week. Of course, they still won against Maryland with their 2nd-stringer, although I didn't see the game...so I'm not sure how good he looked. Still, if anyone can gameplan for a newly-starting QB, it's Bud Foster.

Of course, there's the big question of our pathetic offense against BC's defense...which is stout, and led by Frank Spaziani, who may be the 2nd best DC in the ACC after Foster (gotta include FSU's Mickey Andrews on that list, though he may be past his prime). Bryan Stinespring showed why he may be the worst OC in 1-A again this weekend by only putting up 17 against UVA. Possibly the worst call all season...4th and goal from inside the 1 yard line, and he calls a QB run, with our "Wild Turkey" formation. This is where we put in our 280lb TE, Greg Boone, as the QB (he was a QB recruit out of HS). Great call, there's no doubt Boone will be able to drive forward for the few inches needed. Except the call is for him to run [i]from shotgun[/i]. Boone is stopped 3 yards from the goal line. Way to take 4th and inches and make it 4th and 5, Stinespring you moron.

Anyway, if we win, then we're off to likely play Cincinnati in a matchup that has Orange Bowl officials cringing. Don't know much about Cincy other than they won the Big East...which doesn't tell me much. Ah well, I won't worry too much about them until we make it past BC. If we don't....then I have no idea where we'd go. Gator? [s]Peach[/s] Chik-Fil-A? Who knows?

OU is a team that is very powerful when they are on a roll. They always finish every season well, but they often get upset early in the season or get blown out in bowl games because they're rusty and cold.

Well crap... its 24 years and still counting for UK vs Tenn. The scroll on the bottom of the screen on ESPN last night said that Monte Kiffin will be joining his son at UT next season. That should raise a few eyebrows and send notice that UT's defense is for real.

One question... Florida is currently number 4. Everyone is making the assumption that they will leap Texas if they beat Alabama. Has anyone actually run the numbers? Many of the poll voters switched their votes from Oklahoma to Texas, but OU still jumped Texas this weekend. Is it possible that Florida could beat Bama and [i]not[/i] leap Texas? Which would leave us with the rematch for the title game? (And a whole lot of pissed off SEC fans...)

Some people are worrying about that. But I don't think it is a legitimate concern. If Florida wins over Bama they'll probably move to number 1 in most people's polls. Even if the computers don't like them as much as Texas (which is possible, they are 6th, Texas is 2nd atm) they should win enough in both polls to be on top. Plus beating an undefeated team is going to help their computer rankings a bunch. I expect Florida if they beat Bama to take at least 1/3 of their number 1 votes, if not more. Texas won't pick up any of them.

Edit: Also Bama is behind Texas in 4 out of 6 computer rankings. Thus Texas can't gain in those 4 ratings, they can in 2. Florida however can gain in all 6.

Redeyedghost: Great game, and congratulations to the Jayhawks. We were at the game, about 6 rows from the top. Cold, cold, cold. It will probably go down as one of the most classic MU/KU games, with the snow, the comebacks, etc. It was only appropriate we would get beat by the same thing that has killed us all year, terrible pass coverage. 4th and 7.....unbelievable. The only consilation for me was that it happened this year, and not last year. I actually knew we were in trouble when we came out with the gold jerseys. Special jerseys don't seem to work out well for anyone. I will say they looked much more badass in person than they did on tv. They weren't as bright in person. Maybe we'll pull em out for next year's Gold Rush. I really want to get the games back to the campuses. Unfortunately, they committed to Arrowhead for 4 more years. It just brings a different crowd. Idiots from both sides. It's like amateur hour or something, an excuse to get trashed and be a complete dumbass. I'm all for lighting it up and everything, but c'mon! The loss didn't hurt too bad because:

Scenario 1: MU beats KU, loses to OU in championship game = mediocre bowl game for MU
Scenario 2: MU loses to KU, loses to OU in championship game = mediocre bowl game for MU
Scenario 3: MU beats KU, wins Big 12 championship game = Fiesta Bowl
Scenario 4: MU loses to KU, wins Big 12 championship game = Fiesta Bowl

Either way, it's Fiesta Bowl or bust...and it looked like for the first half Mizzou was thinking the same.

Sergio: Texas was screwed.....I mean SCREWED. A 45-35 win on a neutral field should not get overlooked, no matter what part of the season it happened in. You could say Texas Tech has the same argument, but the difference is they got blown out by OU, where Texas lost on a last second play in a tough away game. This is where I like the SEC tie-breaker better. I'm on a mission for some Texas justice this weekend. Mizzou needs to play like they have nothing to lose (which they don't), and punch OU right in the mustache. Plus.......they have to get their f#cking secondary worked out!!!! It's the end of the season, for sh!t sake!

So Sergio, once in your life, be a Mizzou fan.

I think the SEC rule is not exactly a cure either. What if the 3 teams were like 3/4/5 in bcs rankings, with 3 beating 4, 4 beating 5 and 5 beating 3? So according to that 3 should get in? Doesn't make sense either.

While many people did try to make it a 2 way debate between UT and OU, it never was. It was always a 3 way debate because all teams lost 1 game in the Big 12. Thus since each won one and lost one between eachother you can toss that out and just look at overall resumes. OU is the team with the best OOC schedule and strongest set of wins. Wins over TCU and the Big East champ can't be overlooked.

I do agree with Sergio that OU will lose in the title game. Than again I think Texas would lose too. :P It might be better in some ways if UT doesn't go. They will likely win the Fiesta bowl and thus will probably win the AP, or at least share it.

[quote name='Smiler' post='1604545' date='Dec 1 2008, 09.32']Sergio: Texas was screwed.....I mean SCREWED. A 45-35 win on a neutral field should not get overlooked, no matter what part of the season it happened in. You could say Texas Tech has the same argument, but the difference is they got blown out by OU, where Texas lost on a last second play in a tough away game. This is where I like the SEC tie-breaker better. I'm on a mission for some Texas justice this weekend. Mizzou needs to play like they have nothing to lose (which they don't), and [b]punch OU right in the mustache. [/b]

So Sergio, once in your life, be a Mizzou fan.[/quote]

I completely agree. I am rooting for Mizzou. I hope I never hear that damn Boomer Sooner song again as long as I live. :angry:

My Red Raiders will be lucky to get into the TidyBowl the way they have been playing the last two weeks. Grrrrrr....

Count me in as a Missouri fan this weekend. I just can't pull for Oklahoma, I just don't have it in me.

Missouri is about to single-handedly decide who I pull for in the NC game. If Oklahoma rolls them, as I think is likely, then I will be forced to pull for the winner of 'Bama and Florida. However if Missouri can beat them and Texas goes, I'll pull for Texas in the interest of not seeing the SEC win the National Championship 3 years in a row and having to hear that lame SEC chant they always do.

I've never understood why the Sooners don't get as much backlash as the Buckeyes. I would rank Texas over Oklahoma even though I think this year's Sooners team is better than most of their teams in the last few years.

Oklahoma State is the best 3 loss team in the country imo.

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1604699' date='Dec 1 2008, 12.18']I've never understood why the Sooners don't get as much backlash as the Buckeyes.[/quote]

Me neither, though I guess its becuase the Sooners didn't blow two NC's in a row and the big 12 is probably tougher than the Big 10. I think some of the resentment over Ohio State was the perception that they got to the NC 'without playing anybody.'

Anyway, heres some food for thought. Last four BCS bowls under Stoops:

Bowl games:
2008/01/02 Oklahoma 28 - West Virginia 48 [b]L[/b] (Fiesta Bowl)
2007/01/01 Oklahoma 42 - Boise St 43 [b]L[/b] OT (Fiesta Bowl)
2005/01/04 Oklahoma 19 - USC 55[b] L[/b] (Orange Bowl)
2004/01/04 Oklahoma 14 - LSU 21 [b]L [/b] (Sugar Bowl)

'Big Game' Stoops indeed.

[quote name='S John' post='1604757' date='Dec 1 2008, 12.06']2005/01/04 Oklahoma 19 - USC 55[b] L[/b] (Orange Bowl)[/quote]

They shouldn't have been in that game anyway. But hey, I'm not still bitter or anything...

Whomever gets into the BCS title game will get obliterated by Florida, so it doesn't really matter who it is. I mean, it's remotely plausible that Alabama could win the SEC title game, but I don't see it happening, because Florida, while having one loss, has better players. Caveat: if Percy Harvin doesn't play at all, I'd say it's closer to a coinflip, with Florida slightly favored.

USC...gah, don't get me started. I'm pretty sure any above average team could be "playing great football" if their last seven opponents were a combined 31-50, including the two worst teams in the entire FBS. The Pac-10 isn't "considered" down this year, it IS down. Of course, I'm of the opinion that it was never that far up, but whatever. It is definitely down this year, for whatever reason(s), just like every conference except the Big 12 is down.

Actually, funny note about that: the ACC only has two teams that aren't bowl eligible. That's the best of any conference, I believe, which is sort of funny when you hear everyone rail against them. To be fair, though, it is a pretty medicore conference, where a 3-loss team is the best one, but still, only two non-bowl eligible teams is pretty good for a conference widely regarded as terrible.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1604756' date='Dec 1 2008, 13.04']I think Oregon and GT both have good claims to that. I'd actually rate GT highest, but I think the Holiday Bowl will be Oregon vs OSU so we should see how it matches up.[/quote]

I haven't seen Oregon play but the scores make them look solid. I didn't realize GT has 3 losses, but yeah that's definitely a contender.

Archived