College Football

Gold Storm

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1602672' date='Nov 28 2008, 19.12']Some great games today, PITT WVU, LSU Arkansas, and Nebraska Colorado all went down to the last minute. The kicker for Nebraska made a go ahead 57 yard FG in the last minute of the game, he will never have too buy a drink or a meal in Lincoln again. :cheers:[/quote]
There have been some great games on today. The BSU vs. Fresno St. is good so far. Tomorrow should have more of the same.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1602672' date='Nov 28 2008, 19.12']Some great games today, PITT WVU, LSU Arkansas, and Nebraska Colorado all went down to the last minute. The kicker for Nebraska made a go ahead 57 yard FG in the last minute of the game, he will never have too buy a drink or a meal in Lincoln again. :cheers:[/quote]

There have been rumors floating around since Henery (NE Kicker) was a true Frosh that he would routinely boot 60 yarders in practice, but of course he's never had to do it in a game. Really was an incredible kick and game.

Kentucky has their first real chance to beat Tennessee in over 20 years when they play later today. But Tennessee is going to be fired up to send Phat Phil Phulmer out with a win. Really upsetting to me because I figure if we don't get it done today... Kiffin won't take long to get UT to start eating our lunch routinely once again.

Oh and since I know he barely reads the BBall thread... SJohn!!!!!!!! WVU. Kentucky. Huggy Bear. Gillispie. Vegas. 10:30 EST. ESPN2. Don't get so drunk watching football that you can't watch the roundball. :cheers:

I'd talk smack, but Kentucky had 34 turnovers in their win last night if I'm not mistaken. :blush:

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1602962' date='Nov 29 2008, 10.11']I may be the only person around who thinks this is a bad hire. UT will be looking for another coach in 3 or 4 years.[/quote]

Mark May thought so too with the SEC having 4 coaches with NC titles under their belt. I'm not sure about the hire myself. All I know is that my own personal list would have Cinci's coach at the top.

[quote name='S John' post='1600398' date='Nov 25 2008, 15.35']Bowl speculation is the Sun Bowl for WVU if we win out, Gator looks to be interested in taking a Big XII team. Sun bowl is a Pac-10 tie-in, correct? While I'm hoping that Cincy stumbles and gives us a shot at the Orange, I wouldnt mind playing a Pac-10 team. Maybe get a Pac-10 notch on the old musket after taking out the SEC, ACC, and Big XII in 3 consecutive seasons.[/quote]

Assuming USC and OSU win out, the Pac 10 team likely to fill that slot would be Cal. I'd enjoy that matchup. Cal would have a hard time adjusting to a scrambling-type QB but I think that their offense would be able to keep pace. 44-40 and who knows who wins.

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1602962' date='Nov 29 2008, 11.11']I may be the only person around who thinks this is a bad hire. UT will be looking for another coach in 3 or 4 years.[/quote]
I agree with you. I don't understand why a program with the stature of Tenn would hire a guy with no experience as a head coach in college. Tenn should have asked Florida fans how well that worked out for us. Kiffin better be a hell of a recruiter, because he is going up against some big names in Richt, Saban, Meyer, and Spurrier. Tenn doesn't have great high school football and has to recruit nationally. Kiffin might be able to turn Tenn around, but his hiring doesn't make nervous as a fan of one Tenn's biggest rivals.

[quote]I agree with you. I don't understand why a program with the stature of Tenn would hire a guy with no experience as a head coach in college. Tenn should have asked Florida fans how well that worked out for us. Kiffin better be a hell of a recruiter, because he is going up against some big names in Richt, Saban, Meyer, and Spurrier. Tenn doesn't have great high school football and has to recruit nationally. Kiffin might be able to turn Tenn around, but his hiring doesn't make nervous as a fan of one Tenn's biggest rivals[/quote]

I don't know much about Tenn., and I really care one way or another about how they do, I don't think Buffalo has ever played them. But I do hope Kiffin does well, he got a raw deal with the Raiders, and I'm glad he got a second chance. Also the idea of Al Davis watching with impotent rage as the Raiders continuing to suck while the guy he fired has success elsewhere appeals to me.

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1602972' date='Nov 29 2008, 10.37']Assuming USC and OSU win out, the Pac 10 team likely to fill that slot would be Cal. I'd enjoy that matchup. Cal would have a hard time adjusting to a scrambling-type QB but I think that their offense would be able to keep pace. 44-40 and who knows who wins.[/quote]

Yea I'd have liked that match up too, looks like the toilet bowl for us though. Damnit, I hate losing to Pitt. I'll have to make my rounds on the WV message boards later to read up on the latest Stew bashing. The end of the game was a little fuzzy from where I was sitting, from up there it looked like the refs threw a pass interference flag but Pitt stormed the field anyway and then they never explained what happened, game was over.

I can't even speak today from yelling. The crowd had to be close to 50/50, there were Mountaineer fans everywhere. Pitt definitely doesn't have a very big fan base. We caught a lot of hell going into the game and the stands were a freakin war zone. Chants of 'Eat Shit Pitt!' answered with 'go home mountainqueers!' I think we mocked each others chants more than actually used our own. I will say though, we didn't catch nearly as much shit coming out of the game as I thought we would. Had we won I don't think we would have been quite as gracious in victory, especially after all those damn 13-9 signs.

ETA: I should explain that there wasn't really an away section, everyone was all mixed together, definitely a unique game experience.

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1602927' date='Nov 29 2008, 05.33']UGA vs. gt is going to be messy. It has rained all night and expected to rain all day. Maybe the rain will help slow down that damn triple option crap.[/quote]

As I read this, Georgia fumbled the kickoff return, and GTech scored a touchdown. Eek.

SJohn, glad you made it out of there OK. Was thinking of you when we flipped to the game yesterday. Sorry you couldn't pull it out; I have no real thoughts on Pitt either way, but I cannot root for Wannstadt.

Box score for that game is odd. Both teams have 350-400 total yards of offense. GT's is 90% rushing yards, Georgia is 90% passing yards. Very odd indeed. The 2 point conversions are fun too. GT made up in the third quarter what they blew in the first.

Edit: WTF? 420 total yards, 19 total passing. 1/6 in passing. GT at this point isn't even bothering to try to look like they're 2 dimensional. The dawgs aren't stopping them though.

Congrats to fucking assholes at GT. Man, I am going to hear about it at work from some people. The Paul Johnson hire scared me. They will only get better when he gets his people in there.

UGA needs to fire Willie Martinez. They have gotten worse since he took over. Points per game against has gone up every year.

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1603182' date='Nov 29 2008, 16.04']That looked like a hell of a game. I never thought GT would put up 45 on the Dawgs. Damn I wish I could have watched that one.[/quote]

I thought they would. Just about everyone has scored on us. I just figured that we would score 50 something. It was a good game to watch. Exciting.

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1603178' date='Nov 29 2008, 15.54']UGA needs to fire Willie Martinez. They have gotten worse since he took over. Points per game against has gone up every year.[/quote]
Richt should hire Crooms to replace Martinez.

I thought GT would cover the spread, but I didn't think they'd actually win. Today could be upset Saturday. So far Mizzou and Georgia have gone down. Fl/FSU is close and the field is ridiculously wet.

Just thought of something.

What if, OSU comes back and wins, Oklahoma St wins, TT loses to Mizzou in the Big 12 championship.....who plays for the National Championship game.

One will be the Florida/Alabama winner. Texas would be eliminated b/c they did not win their division or conference. USC would not get in b/c they did not win their conference. Would TT be back in it? Penn State?

Archived