College Football

Gold Storm

I also pull for Buffalo (except when they're playing missouri) due to fez rock. that sounded like a remarkable game when I read about it on espn last night. you guys will be lucky to keep Turner Gill with all the coaching positions opening up this year. (Kansas State maybe?)

Tough loss for Virginia Tech though.

Bah. If it's not annoying enough watching your team completely piss away a game, having to do so while ESPN conducts about 20 sideline interviews with former players of the opponent is just wonderful.

By the way...any Clemson fans on here? Our DC Bud Foster interviewed for the head coaching position today. I'm wondering how seriously he's being considered for the position. I wish Bud the best of luck, and he deserves to be a head coach...but that might spell the end of VT being close to a BCS bowl team for the foreseeable future.

[quote name='HokieStone' post='1589869' date='Nov 15 2008, 02.15']Bah. If it's not annoying enough watching your team completely piss away a game, having to do so while ESPN conducts about 20 sideline interviews with former players of the opponent is just wonderful.

By the way...any Clemson fans on here? Our DC Bud Foster interviewed for the head coaching position today. I'm wondering how seriously he's being considered for the position. I wish Bud the best of luck, and he deserves to be a head coach...but that might spell the end of VT being close to a BCS bowl team for the foreseeable future.[/quote]

WVU shouldve offered him when they had the chance.

Thanks guys, I'm glad that the "Thunder of the East" (seriously that's the nickname) has a few more supporters.

I just found out that from the school newspaper that after Thursday's game Drew Willy now has the school record of total yards and TD passes, I'm gonna miss him next year. At least we still have Starks and most of our offensive line for another year so the offense shouldn't regress too much.

As for Gill leaving, god I hope not. I would wish him the best of luck in his new job if he did leave, and be very grateful for all that he's done for our program; but I don't yet think Buffalo football is strong enough to survive without him. In addition to being head coach, he's also the OC and the playcaller, and has a great relationship with the team. I don't expect him to spend the rest of his coaching career in Buffalo, but I do want him to stay a few more years, after all we did just give him a juicy new contract last offseason after Nebraska didn't take him. But he's got no roots or real ties to Buffalo, so eventually he's going to turn all the success he's had here into a coaching gig at a BCS conference school, the longer he waits the better though.

[quote name='HokieStone' post='1589869' date='Nov 15 2008, 02.15']Bah. If it's not annoying enough watching your team completely piss away a game, having to do so while ESPN conducts about 20 sideline interviews with former players of the opponent is just wonderful.

By the way...any Clemson fans on here? Our DC Bud Foster interviewed for the head coaching position today. I'm wondering how seriously he's being considered for the position. I wish Bud the best of luck, and he deserves to be a head coach...but that might spell the end of VT being close to a BCS bowl team for the foreseeable future.[/quote]

Will Furrer was at last Thursday's game in B'burg. He might have even had his number retired, but ESPN didn't talk to him once. Furrer was twice the QB Gino Torretta ever was. There is no justice.

Also, I wonder if Beamer would ever step down as head coach to let Foster take over, but stay on as special teams coach? Would that even work? If he could really let Bud run the team, I think it would be best. Our program is better for having both of them, but its becoming obvious that Foster is the better coach on the sideline. He could easily be the future of the team but the clock is ticking, and interviews like this scare me.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1590253' date='Nov 15 2008, 16.19']I read that WVU just got a commitment from an Elite 11 QB. Props to you S. John.[/quote]

Hell yea, [url="http://proxy.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/football/notebook?page=peprally/081114"]Eugene Smith[/url]. We needed that after Tahj Boyd de-committed on us. I wonder if Boyd is having 2nd thoughts now. He ditched WVU for Tennessee then Fulmer got canned the next week. Too late now.

Anyway, I'm not sold on Stew and his staff by a long shot but they have been able to put together what looks to be the best recruiting class we've ever had. And, all things considered, he isnt doing [i]that [/i]bad for his first year. We're 6-3, 2 of the three losses came in overtime and we're still in contention to win the conference. Certainly a lot better than Dickrod did in his first year at WVU (and Michigan it seems). While I could seriously write a dissertation on concerns I have about Stewart I think most of the issues are thigns that can be corrected or will smooth out with a little experience. Unfortunately, we're just going to have to be patient on this one. I'm thinking whether hiring Stew was truly a mistake or not won't be apparent until his third year.

Well, here we go. Stanford-USC rematch. Hopefully our guys will come out strong and motivated (especially after losing that heartbreaker last week)... but I bet theirs will, too, after last year... so we'll have to see.

[quote name='DVD ROTS' post='1590354' date='Nov 15 2008, 19.11']Well, here we go. Stanford-USC rematch. Hopefully our guys will come out strong and motivated (especially after losing that heartbreaker last week)... but I bet theirs will, too, after last year... so we'll have to see.[/quote]
I just turned it on. How did Stanford score?

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1590356' date='Nov 15 2008, 16.18']I just turned it on. How did Stanford score?[/quote]

Pretty good drive, actually. Started at the 20, drove all the way in 7 plays, including a 27 yard completion by Pritchard, and a 40-yard scramble by Pritchard. He got his first career start in the upset at SC last year, so maybe he just likes playing against them?

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1590421' date='Nov 15 2008, 18.19']It is a good game.

I see LSU is losing 24 to 3 to Troy. Not good.[/quote]

I saw that. A bright spot, now that the real USC has shown up. Goddamn. Had we done a better job in the first half on special teams, this might be a field-goal difference now, instead of two TDs. Oh, well.

Also, the 'SC cheerleaders look like plastic to anyone else?

ETA: gg.

[quote name='DVD ROTS' post='1590430' date='Nov 15 2008, 18.40']I saw that. A bright spot, now that the real USC has shown up. Goddamn. Had we done a better job in the first half on special teams, this might be a field-goal difference now, instead of two TDs. Oh, well.

Also, the 'SC cheerleaders look like plastic to anyone else?

ETA: gg.[/quote]
Unfortunately Sanchez was just shown clutching his neck and wincing in pain during a post game celebration when one of his teammates came up from behind him and embraced him. Probably nothing to worry about, but you don't have to read lips to know what was coming out of his mouth.

Good catch, VS Network commentating team.

:thumbsup: WOOOOT, my Beaves won a good game against Cal. Back and forth with a lot of big plays by both teams, but the Beavers found a way to win. This is the kind of game that Oregon State would have lost in the past, now they are grinding-out wins. The Rodger brothers have too be one of the greatest finds in Oregon State history, how the Texas school let them go I will never understand.

Then the Ducks go up big and then make it close against Arizona, just to give their fans heart attacks.

I'm stunned LSU came back and won. The stanford game was the only one this year I didn't watch. woke up too late to go to my buddies' place, and one of my roommates has sabotaged the tv, so I couldn't watch the tail end of the game. so I had that little doohickey play by play thing from ESPN up. happily as soon as I launched it, USC broke the tie and started scoring regularly, but I definitely was not pleased to see that score of 17/17 when I first woke up. :P

congrats Oregon State, I hope you win out, cause I want USC to play someone other than Ohio State or Penn State, even though it will suck to break our streak of pac10 wins. I'm thinking Stanford will also take down Cal next week, should be a very good game that the pundits probably won't be talking about.

My Missouri Tigers put the smack down on Iowa State, that's important cause two years ago we had a late season loss to them when it was their retiring head coach's last game, and because of that loss in particular, no one took Missouri seriously for most of last year. :P Looking forward to finding out who Mizzou will be playing in the big 12 championship game. should be a great chance for us to play spoiler and throw the NC into chaos.

Be interesting, if Texas Tech gets beat in the big 12 championship game (meaning they are 12-1, how far do they fall?, Missouri would rise to the top of the two loss teams, imo, and above some of the one loss teams) a two loss oklahoma wouldn't be a threat to rise into the championship game, so that narrows the possibility down to Texas, USC and Penn State if they win out. I wonder how close the oppurtunity to rise to number in the rankings will be? the rough bit is that Penn state beat Oregon state who beat USC, but Penn State had no other out of conference schedule to speak of, USC had a strong ooc schedule and middling conference competition. Texas played a down arkansas but otherwise had no ooc schedule but had a hell of a conference schedule. It all seems to wash out, I imagine the computer rankings will be very interesting. I really hope Michigan State beats Penn State just because it will clear things up quite a bit. :P another scenario starts with Oklahoma getting beat in the big 12 championship game making the competition: Texas, Texas Tech, USC and Penn state to try to rise to the number 2 spot. I don't think Texas can get into the Big 12 championship game at all, if Oklahoma beat Tech they'll get a big bump in the rankings that will push them past the team that beat them. chaos. and awesome.

I'm a bit bummed both USC and the Tigers are off next week. :(

[quote name='Triskele' post='1590879' date='Nov 16 2008, 15.36']If OU beats TT next week how are they going to decide who goes to the Big 12 Title Game between OU, TT, and Texas? They'll all have one loss to one of the others. The ultimate three way tie.[/quote]
Highest BCS ranking. No joke.

Polls were released today. No change in the Top 16, but Miami enters the poll along with Oregon(possibly setting up a huge Civil War game) and Maryland. As a Les Miles hater I wasn't thrilled to see LSU oddly move up 1 after last night's performance, but worse things have happened.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex[/url]

Archived