College Football

Gold Storm

[quote name='S John' post='1597735' date='Nov 22 2008, 18.08']Hahaha, I could kiss a 'Cuse fan today. 20 point underdogs and beat Notre Dame @ Notre Dame. I think the Irish can go ahead and forget about snatching our Gator Bowl spot since theyve now lost to two Big East teams this year, one coming against the [i]worst [/i]team in the Big East. Oh man, that game almost makes me happier than the WVU win.[/quote]

With ND out of the picture it may come down to WV vs Nebraska in the Gator Bowl. That would be a nice match up!

[quote name='S John' post='1597593' date='Nov 22 2008, 13.41']Anyway, otherise it was a huge day for White. He broke Donovan McNabb's record for most Big East touchdowns and broke the all time rushing record for a QB.[/quote]

Do you happen to know why all of the commentators were saying, "Well, Pat White isn't Heisman material, of course..." Why the heck not? Yes, there are a lot of good candidate this year, yes WVU has 3 losses, but the man is awesome. Why would it go without saying that he isn't worthy of even being mentioned in the Heisman race?

(I'll take an answer if anyone has one, but mostly I felt the need to rant).

In other news, wonderful day for the Utes, a team I rather like. They should end up in the BCS. If they don't, and the Pac-10 gets two teams, then I'm crying foul.

Northwestern beat Illinois!! Holy moly.. I really didn't think we were going to win that one. 9 wins! I never thought it would happen so soon. I can't believe we're eligible for a New Year's Day bowl though I'm not too optimistic as our fans aren't notorious for traveling. But if we do, I'm definitely going to be there. This game was also the last for our rivalry game trophy, the Sweet Sioux Tomahawk since the NCAA is trying to stop using American Indian imagery. I find that odd considering Illinois's team is named the Illini.

So Iowa finishes 8-4, those four losses by a total of 12 pts. I wish they'd figured out the QB situation a little earlier. Might've flipped one or more of those losses if Stanzi had been getting all the reps from day one. Oh well.

All I want for Christmas is for Shonn Greene to come back next year.

[quote name='WarGalley' post='1598063' date='Nov 23 2008, 08.22']I can't believe we're eligible for a New Year's Day bowl though I'm not too optimistic as our fans aren't notorious for traveling.[/quote]
The Hawks travel well, finished the year positively (beat Penn St, beat Minn 55-0), have the nation's leading rusher and are only one game behind Mich St and NW in the standings, so I'm thinking/hoping the bowl people pick Iowa over one or both. Whatever the case, for both our teams' sakes, let's hope Ohio St sneaks into a BCS game since that'd put the Capital One Bowl back in play.

[quote name='L'Sana' post='1597912' date='Nov 22 2008, 23.46']Do you happen to know why all of the commentators were saying, "Well, Pat White isn't Heisman material, of course..." Why the heck not? Yes, there are a lot of good candidate this year, yes WVU has 3 losses, but the man is awesome. Why would it go without saying that he isn't worthy of even being mentioned in the Heisman race?[/quote]

Well I agree with you. If the Heisman is supposed to be for the best player, the guy who means the most to his team, the guy whose abilities can change a game at the drop of a hat, a guy who can basically will his team to victory.... Then White should be one of the top candidates in consideration..... for four years in a row now.

But I don't even know what the Heisman is supposed to be anymore. I'm inclined to believe that White never had a chance, no matter how many records he breaks because he plays for WVU, because he plays in the Big East. Its going to take a long, long time for the new Big East to get any respect no matter how many BCS games we win. The perception is that we suck, and it seems that there is nothing we can do to change that except maybe win a NC, which is probably harder to get to for a Big East team than for anybody. West Virginia has a rabid, but [i]small [/i]fan base. I think thats what it comes down to sometimes, they dont have to pander to us. You won't find many West Virginia fans that arent either current or ex West Virginians or alumni of WVU, while you might find a bandwagoner of Oklahoma or Michigan anywhere in the country.

14-3 over Duke. [b][i]Duke![/i][/b] Stunning...and not in a good way. I guess we didn't lost to them, unlike UVA. But I sat in the 2nd coldest game at VT in the last 20 years to watch that. Yeesh. For the record, I was at the coldest game...in 1991 against Cincinnati.

Next up UVA, for two prizes...a trip to the ACC Championship Game, and the chance to deny UVA their 6th win (and bowl eligibility).

Then if we win that, it's a rematch with either BC or FSU in the title game. Stupid Maryland...I would've rather played them again.

And if we manage to win that, I'm not sure who'd we face in the Orange Bowl. The OB has the final pick of the BCS teams...so probably either the Big East champ, or the non-BCS team (Utah, Boise State, Ball State?)

[quote name='HokieStone' post='1598462' date='Nov 23 2008, 21.41']14-3 over Duke. [b][i]Duke![/i][/b] Stunning...and not in a good way. I guess we didn't lost to them, unlike UVA. But I sat in the 2nd coldest game at VT in the last 20 years to watch that. Yeesh. For the record, I was at the coldest game...in 1991 against Cincinnati.

Next up UVA, for two prizes...a trip to the ACC Championship Game, and the chance to deny UVA their 6th win (and bowl eligibility).

Then if we win that, it's a rematch with either BC or FSU in the title game. Stupid Maryland...I would've rather played them again.

And if we manage to win that, I'm not sure who'd we face in the Orange Bowl. The OB has the final pick of the BCS teams...so probably either the Big East champ, or the non-BCS team (Utah, Boise State, Ball State?)[/quote]

Pretty sure that it'll be Cincinnati in the Orange Bowl. Only way its not Cincinatti is if they lose to Syracuse next week. On one hand I'd rather it be WV becuase I think we'd represent the conference better than anyone, more big game experience and probably more raw talent than anyone. But on the other hand we can't seem to get it together this year and if a Big East team is going to take an ass-whipping in a BCS game I'd rather it not be us.

[quote name='Eponine' post='1598484' date='Nov 23 2008, 22.32']HokieStone, are you going to be at the UVA game next weekend?[/quote]

Yup, I'll be there. I'm kinda pessimistic about it because of how the season has gone so far, and I'm thinking we can't keep beating UVA every year....but if anything, they were even crappier than us this past week. We'll see.

[quote name='HokieStone' post='1598681' date='Nov 24 2008, 08.25']Yup, I'll be there. I'm kinda pessimistic about it because of how the season has gone so far, and I'm thinking we can't keep beating UVA every year....but if anything, they were even crappier than us this past week. We'll see.[/quote]

I'm still trying to get tickets. I think we could have kept beating UVA every year for a long time, gotten so much better than them it wouldn't even be a real rivalry anymore, if we had done something about our offense. I'd be ok with losing this game if it means we get rid of Stinespring.

Florida Florida State strikes me as a very interesting game, but I think I'd only give it a 10% shot at an actual upset, maybe 15% at the outside. otoh, Florida not covering is probably closer to 25-30% imo.

I think the Oklahoma/Oklahoma St game is going to be absolutely killer, the game of the week, sort of what the pundits were predicting for the Texas TEch/OKlahoma game I think is what we'll get this week. I'm still in favor of Oklahoma winning at this point, but I can feel my pick wavering and I might change it before the weekend.

The kansas/mizzou game is really early which is annoying. Apparently the bars in KC, Manhattan and Columbia complained that the game last year was too late and no one stayed to drink in KC and by the time they'd driven their hourish back home noone went to the bars to celebrate/commiserate in the expected numbers. At least according to my dad, who is notoriously unreliable on these things. Still I kind of love the idea that the game is earlier so that more celebrating can be done in the respective home city by the returning throngs. The level of rhetoric is more subdued this year, still it's not going to be an easy game for Missouri to win.

and I got a ticket to the big 12 championship game, it'll be the only college game I attend this year. I am rooting hard for the tigers to upset any of those fuckers from the south, I don't care who they are, I just want to upset the fucking applecart.

I realize I took a long smoke break from this party, but I knew that OU was going to lay it on Texas Tech. No disrespect to them, but the 2 weeks leading up to the game reeked of last year's MU visit to Norman and last year's Big 12 title game. OU gets a big chip on their shoulder when "upstart" teams get a lot of chattering around them. They feel the Big 12 is theirs, and they will lay it on any team who gets more talk than them. Yes, they tend to botch things up in the bowl games, but the Big 12 is theirs. You could see it on Stoops' face during and after the game. Did you hear his post-game comments? Humble? What an asshole. They tend to lay an egg each year. I hope it's not this week against Oklahoma State. Or maybe I do? Anything to wipe that smug look off his face. I would love for Mizzou to be the ones to do it if OU leapfrogs Texas somehow. A tall order for Mizzou, but they have to do it sometime if they're going to compete for a conference title.

I find it funny no one is talking about what happens if Oklahoma loses this week. I think it will be a closer game than last week. If they lose, it becomes a 2-way tie again, and Texas Tech wins the tie-breaker for beating Texas. So.....Texas Tech goes to the Big 12 Championship game. Either way, Texas has to root for Oklahoma to win (or a longshot Baylor win), and they better hope it's not a convincing win, or they may get passed by the team they actually beat.

Heading to KC for the Mizzou/Kansas game this weekend. Not as much riding on this one, but it's still the oldest rivalry west of the Mississippi. I wasn't at all suprised they lost to Nebraska. I think it will be interesting seeing how Nebraska does next season, with their improved play, and Mizzou losing a lot of key players at the end of the season.

[quote]not safe to leave a meth lab unattended[/quote] Good one, by the way.

Fez, I'm not suprised Buffalo has come on strong. I was at the Buffalo/Mizzou game and they played with a lot of attitude. The game wasn't close in the end, but it was for quite awhile. They kept forcing turnovers, and never laid down. Congrats on a good season!

[quote name='Smiler' post='1600261' date='Nov 25 2008, 15.06']I find it funny no one is talking about what happens if Oklahoma loses this week. I think it will be a closer game than last week. If they lose, it becomes a 2-way tie again, and Texas Tech wins the tie-breaker for beating Texas. So.....Texas Tech goes to the Big 12 Championship game.[/quote]

Now that I have finally come out from under my couch and rejoined society....(Good grief, that was embarrassing!)

I am hoping for exactly the scenario above. It would top it off if the Aggies upset Texas (sorry, Sergio)... but yeah.. probably not gonna happen.

*fingers crossed*

I cannot wait for Saturday to get here. I want the Gators to absolutely destroy Florida State. As long as Meyer can keep the team focused I think Florida's offense should score at least 42 on the Semenholes. Our DL lost two tackles against the Citadel, but I think we have enough depth that that won't matter too much. FSU's OL isn't that great and Ponder's been an erratic QB. And then comes Alabama, but I'll worry about them later.

I was surprised that Georgia opened up as 8.5 point favorite over Ga Tech. Georgia's defense will need to play disclipined, assignment football against GT's offense and they have been the exact opposite all season. Stafford should be able to put up some points and I think Georgia will win, but it will be by less than a touchdown.

I'm almost sorry I turned down the opportunity to see the Crapple Cup last Saturday. A friend of my girlfriend's offered us tickets and a place to stay, but I didn't want to drive 6 hours each way to see the two worst teams in the country play. Maybe if it had been in Seattle, but Pullman's practically in Montana.

Go Beavs!

From Forde's article:

[quote]Snowballs for no fewer than six new coaches who have seen the honeymoon end rather abruptly. Bust of the busts: Rich Rodriguez at Michigan, which plummeted from 9-4 to an all-time worst 3-9. But don't forget Bobby Petrino at Arkansas (4-7 after the Razorbacks went 8-5 last year). And Mike Sherman (taking Texas A&M from 7-6 last year to 4-7). And Paul Wulff at Washington State (from 5-7 last year to 2-10). [b]And Bill Stewart (West Virginia going from 11-2 to 7-3). [/b]And Larry Fedora, who is 5-6 at Southern Miss after replacing Jeff Bower, who rolled out 14 straight winning seasons.[/quote]

Now, I grumble about Stewart as much as anyone, but in fairness he is 7-3 [i]with three games left to play[/i]. It is possible that he goes 9-4 or even 10-3. Not exactly what I wanted for Christmas, but not deserving of a snowball either. Pitt game will be a slug fest (I'll be there), and USF has had our number, but those are both winnable. USF game is in Morgantown, in December, and is Pat White's final home game... I feel confident that we'll get them this time.

Bowl speculation is the Sun Bowl for WVU if we win out, Gator looks to be interested in taking a Big XII team. Sun bowl is a Pac-10 tie-in, correct? While I'm hoping that Cincy stumbles and gives us a shot at the Orange, I wouldnt mind playing a Pac-10 team. Maybe get a Pac-10 notch on the old musket after taking out the SEC, ACC, and Big XII in 3 consecutive seasons.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1600396' date='Nov 25 2008, 15.33']That game was awesome. There was something so amusing about watching those two teams play a "great game." And the fact that UW absolutely blew it. It took everything going perfect for WSU to win. So the great irony is that WSU actually can claim that they are the best team in Washington when no one doubts that they are by far the worst team in the BCS...much worse than UW...despite pulling this one off. It has to be so painful for Husky fans...I like it.[/quote]

How bad is Washington's offense? They were only able to score 10 on WAZZU a team the third string Oregon State team scored on at will. They lost last year on a last second bomb and they got tied this year on a last second bomb. You would think that the Dawgs coaching staff would have watch the tape from last years game and prepared themselves for the deep bomb.

[quote]Sadly, Jaquizz Rodgers is most likely out. He badly sprained his shoulder early against U of A. He is by far the most important player for OSU. He turns losses into gains as much as any player I can remember. Our O-Line has done a great job pass blocking but when it comes to run blocking it's really been Quizz making them look better. Beavers D needs to step it up. The Ducks have an incredible opportunity to ruin OSU's chances at a dream season.[/quote]

I think he will be out, but Riley is very good at finding ways and players to fit into his system to pullout the win. Last years Civil War the Beavers were missing Bernard their biggest offensive weapon and only RB last year. Riley will game plan James on the Fly sweep and Francis and McCants.

Archived