College Football

Gold Storm

Huh, what does USC or Texas not winning their championship have anything to do with getting in the title game? You do remember 2001 and 2004 do you not? And 2 years ago Michigan was pretty much removed (rightly) from the game by voters who were cognizant of what putting them ahead of Florida would do.

OSU winning or not winning has nothing to do with USC making the title game. At worst USC shares the Pac 10 title with 1 loss each but loses the head to head matchup.

That being said I really doubt USC makes the title game. One team is going to be Alabama or Florida. That is guaranteed at this point. The other team to be in will go in this order. (given no more losses) OU, Texas, USC. Look at [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/BCSStandings"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/BCSStandings[/url]. OU already beats Texas in both human rankings. The only thing they lose in is computer. If they beat OSU decisively I am pretty sure they pass Texas, although it will be close. Regardless it doesn't change anything regarding the Big 12. Whomever comes out of their last game with the higher BCS record will win the south. It will either be Texas or OU. If TT had lost today then it would be down to hth matchup, which Texas would have won over OU. In absence of that it comes to the BCS rankings. The voters will decide which is more impressive, Texas' hth win or the bigger margin in OU's victories plus their superior OOC schedule.

USC is too much behind in both polls and computer rankings to come back without both teams above them losing. Penn State and TT are certainly done unless USC falls too to UCLA. Plus no voter will put them in there either unless forced. Everyone thinks Penn State would be crushed by Florida or Bama, and TT after beating Baylor at home by 7 is a paper tiger.

So to go again, order for that one spot:

1. Undisputed winner of the Big 12 title.
2. If the Big 12 south winner loses to Missouri, then the Big 12 south runner up.
3. USC

Aka: It's Florida/Bama vs OU/Texas unless OSU beats OU tonight. If that happens and than Texas loses to Missouri than USC gets in. If USC loses to UCLA, than Penn State gets in.

Edit: Need to change this last statement. Forgot about the hth between TT and Texas that would come out if OU lost. If OSU beats OU than yes TT gets in. However even with a TT win over Missouri Texas will stay in front of them. The title game would be Texas vs Bama/Florida.

There is no restriction that you need to win your conference to be in the BCS title game. All you have to be is BCS #1 or 2. [url="http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility"]http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility[/url]

[quote name='DVD ROTS' post='1603144' date='Nov 29 2008, 14.38']SJohn, glad you made it out of there OK. Was thinking of you when we flipped to the game yesterday. Sorry you couldn't pull it out; I have no real thoughts on Pitt either way, but I cannot root for Wannstadt.[/quote]

Thanks man, I think by the end of the game everyones buzz had worn off a bit so it wasnt as hostile as I expected. Plus, most West Virginia fans are also Steelers fans so once the game is over we're pretty much on the same side for the next 364 days.

Something that Ive noticed thats been bothering me, perhaps someone can enlighten me. I bought last years Fiesta Bowl on iTunes last year and I noticed as I watched it a while back that there was a wierd chirping noise in the background. I know our fans dont usually make that noise so I figured it was something they passed out at the game or something for the Fiesta Bowl. However, I've noticed the same noise in last weeks OU / TT game and again tonight in the OkSt / OU game. So anyone know what the hell that chirping noise is? An Oklahoma thing?

To clarify on their Title hopes

OU: Win tonight and hope they leapfrog Texas in the BCS standings. If they don't go to the Big 12 title game, hope Texas loses and they take their spot in the title game.

Texas: Either OU wins but not by enough to leap them in the average or OU loses, either tonight or next week in the title game. I don't see anyway in which the TT of this week leapfrogs Texas.

Texas Tech: Have OSU win, then crush Missouri and hope you pass all of OU, USC, Texas and the Bama/Florida loser. I don't see this happening.

USC/PSU: I honestly don't see any way for them to make it. If OU wins than either Texas or OU goes to the Big 12 title game. The key thing is the loser of that contest doesn't get hurt. They will stay in front of USC/PSU. If OU loses than TT and UT comes down to hth. TT wins that, and since Texas won't have a chance to lose anymore they can't be passed. Probably their best chance is for OU to lose badly, than the Big 12 south to lose badly and hope that the voters/computers punish them for it.

The computer rankings make it very hard for USC or PSU to pass enough Big 12 teams to get in the title game. The title game will be Big 12 vs SEC. It's just the actors left to be placed. And certain factors make it that TT is in a really tough situation. They will have to convince voters to push them in front of Texas even though in 2 straight weeks they got crushed by OU and barely squeaked by Baylor. To have a shot they would need to annihilate Missouri.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1603327' date='Nov 29 2008, 21.18']Huh, what does USC or Texas not winning their championship have anything to do with getting in the title game? You do remember 2001 and 2004 do you not? And 2 years ago Michigan was pretty much removed (rightly) from the game by voters who were cognizant of what putting them ahead of Florida would do.

[url="http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility"]http://www.bcsfootball.org/bcsfb/eligibility[/url][/quote]

I remember UGA being #2 in the nation then being voted #5 in the nation in the last polls by everyone b/c they did not win their conference and every sports announcer out there said they did not deserve to play in the NC game even though they may have been playing the best football in the nation at the time.

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1603346' date='Nov 29 2008, 20.47']I remember UGA being #2 in the nation then being voted #5 in the nation in the last polls by everyone b/c they did not win their conference and every sports announcer out there said they did not deserve to play in the NC game even though they may have been playing the best football in the nation at the time.[/quote]

You seem to be rewriting history. The last 5 BCS standings of 2007, from Nov. 4 through Dec. 2.

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/abcsports/BCSStandings?week=8"]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/abcsports/BCSStandings?week=8[/url]

At no point in the last 4 weeks was Georgia ever ranked higher than 4th in any of the Harris, Coaches or computer standings. For that matter the AP which has no say in the BCS title game last year never ranked them higher than 4th either. Georgia was never the number 2 team in the country during the regular season. They didn't make it to the SEC title game while VT won big over #11 BC and Oklahoma won big over #1 Missouri. (and LSU over Tennessee as well) That's what happens when you don't make the championship game for your conference. You lose ground to the team that do. It's just how it works.

On to current football. Crazy win by Oregon today. Nearly 700 yards of offense and 65 points on the Beavers? Ouch. Wish I could have seen that game.

Edit: I see you were angry about Georgia after last year in how they didn't stay right behind Ohio State after Missouri and WVU lost. However I think in that case OU was rather justified in jumping them after stomping the number 1 team in Missouri. I am a little surpised LSU leapfrogged them so well after just taking care of Tennessee. In the TT case I think if they had gotten to the title game and slaughtered Missouri they might have had a chance. But then again after the last two weeks I don't know. Good for them it would have been against the team they beat in Texas, not the team that slaughtered them in OU. Of course since OU now won big it comes down to UT or OU. I think both have their pluses. Right now though I'd have to give it to OU for both playing better recently and their much tougher OOC schedule.

crap Oregon state. I didn't want USC to win the Pac10 (we still haven't won it but now we're likely to) I wanted us to go to the Sugar Bowl and play either Florida or Alabama. :(

Now, in all likelyhood we'll have to play Penn State.

Balls.

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1603310' date='Nov 29 2008, 20.58']Bama vs. Florida is going to be a good one next week.[/quote]

Yes it is!

[size=7][color="#0000ff"]G[/color][color="#ff8c00"]O[/color] [color="#0000ff"]G[/color][color="#ff8c00"]A[/color][color="#0000ff"]T[/color][color="#ff8c00"]O[/color][color="#0000ff"]R[/color][color="#ff8c00"]S[/color]![/size]

[center]
[/center]

[quote name='TheHoundRules' post='1603631' date='Nov 30 2008, 07.22']You are right. I remember they were 4 but 2 teams in front lost and UGA did not jump up. They dropped or something like that. It is all the same. The reason was they did not win their conference. If it was a big deal last year, it should be this year.[/quote]

I think the reason is not that they didn't win the conference, but that they didn't have that one extra game to add to their resume. They were at 4 but their lead over the teams behind them was slight. And when the teams below them won big they got passed.

The difference this year is that a team like Texas or OU has a much stronger resume. Regardless if UT or OU gets to the Big 12 title game, if the team from the south loses than the team who didn't make the title game is going to be in the national championship game. There is virtually no difference between the two teams. There is also no team in position to jump up above the 2nd place Big 12 south team.

Edit: I don't think voters or poll people will care if a team won or didn't win their conference title. The only thing they've been shown to alter their votes on is to avoid rematches from the regular season. Georgia last year wasn't that, so I don't think you can blame it on that.

Also now that we know more of how things are going to shape up, it should be easy enough to get the bcs teams. Florida, Bama, USC, PSU, OU, Texas, Cinci, the ACC winner, Utah and one other. Maybe TT? Not sure.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1603803' date='Nov 30 2008, 13.16']Also now that we know more of how things are going to shape up, it should be easy enough to get the bcs teams. Florida, Bama, USC, PSU, OU, Texas, Cinci, the ACC winner, Utah and one other. Maybe TT? Not sure.[/quote]

Well if Oregon State had held on we'd have our 10 I think, but with them out I dont know who that 10th slot will go to. I doubt itll be Texas Tech, 3 teams from the Big 12 south is crazy... but maybe. Maybe Ohio State?

It seems pretty unlikely, but I'm still pulling for Missouri to fuck everything up and win the Big 12.

Also going to have to pull hard for the Bearcats. Its been such a sub-par year in the Big East: South Florida folded, Rutgers came on strong in the second half of the season but started 1-5, West Virginia is run by Gomer Pyle, overhyped Pitt started off their banner year by losing to Bowling Green, UCONN is mediocre, Louisville sucks, and Syracuse is Syracuse. The only thing that will salvage anything is if Cincy can win thier game and give the Big East 4 straight BCS wins..... which has me praying for an ACC pairing. Even that is a toss-up, but any of those other teams would likely kick the crap out of Cincy.

Interesting. Looking at the polls from today (only thing not out is the BCS) it looks like as long as Texas holds its advantage in the computers over OU that they should eek OU out. Look at these numbers:

Team A: 1412/1397
Team B: 1370/1396
Team C: 1401/1385

Team B btw is Texas. They moved up on both Florida and OU even though they had the least impressive win this last weekend. It shows me voters are taking account of the hth between OU and Texas and think Texas should be in the Big 12 title game. If this holds true in the Harris then Texas should be in the title game.

So we'll have
BCS: Bama/Florida vs Texas/OU
Rose: USC vs PSU
Sugar: Bama/Florida vs ?
Orange: Cinci vs ACC
Fiesta: Texas/OU vs Utah (although I heard the Sugar is interested in Utah)

The thing about the Big 12 south is no one really knows if they're legit or not. The only indication is OU. They beat handily both Cinci and TCU, both top 15 teams. No one else really played anyone.

It's like the ACC. Everyone goes on about how the conference sucks. But this last weekend there were 4 ACC/SEC games, all 4 being against bowl teams from the SEC. The ACC went 3-1. ACC starts to look better, don't they?

As for the 10th team there isn't a lot of options. One team I'd like to see in the mix is Georgia Tech. They'd be fun to watch against a Big 12 team like OU/Texas. It comes down to Boise State, Ohio State or Texas Tech. Ohio State probably travels the best, but it really comes down to whomever is picking. Lets say Florida loses, do they really want a OSU/UF matchup again? I think TT would be much more interesting, but if the Sugar takes Utah than I don't see how the Fiesta would want to commit to a Texas/TT or OU/TT repeat. Which sigh probably leaves us with OSU (or maybe Boise). I hate the Big 10, such crappy teams with such a crappy OOC schedules. And they still will get 2 teams out of 10.

Missouri would be fun to turn the apple cart over, but I don't see it happening.

As a fan of the Big XII I'm praying that Texas holds on to their ranking and goes to the Championship game, then the title game. I think Texas could do well against either of the two SEC contenders. Oklahoma, though...in addition to their reputation for screwing up in bowl games, I've got to have some serious doubts about their defense. After seeing what Oklahoma State was able to do, then imagining what Tebow would do against them...for the sake of the conference, Texas has to be our representative.

Also, I'm somewhat mad at Oklahoma for that last touchdown. That was a cheap shot. They could have taken a knee and won. Trying to score was unsportsmanlike.

As far as who the 10th BSC team should be, my argument would be for Boise State over Ohio State. 12-0 vs. 10-2. Ranked #9 vs. ranked #10. Won last several bowl games vs. been humiliated in last several bowl games. Shouldn't even be a question.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1603859' date='Nov 30 2008, 13.00']As for the 10th team there isn't a lot of options. One team I'd like to see in the mix is Georgia Tech. They'd be fun to watch against a Big 12 team like OU/Texas. It comes down to Boise State, Ohio State or Texas Tech.[/quote]

Won't be Texas Tech. No conference is allowed to send 3 teams.

Yeah you're right. (well technically not, but 3 teams from the same conference can only happen if two non conference winners are 1/2 in the BCS, which would be almost impossible to happen) So if Missouri wins they are going to eliminate completely from the BCS the team they beat. Which is funny. Especially funny is that the team that didn't make the Big 12 championship game would go to the national championship game.

So yeah Ohio State or Boise State. Which means it will be OSU. Bah to that.

As for the last touchdown, it was just a run. If OSU had actually tackled than it would have been over. I don't think they had to kneel.

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1603871' date='Nov 30 2008, 12.21']Especially funny is that the team that didn't make the Big 12 championship game would go to the national championship game.[/quote]

Remember Georgia last year? Missouri upsetting in the Big 12 game will open the door for USC to sweep in over a team (ala Georgia that didn't even win their DIVISION). That team won't be playing next weekend, USC will. in the event of a Missouri upset and a USC win, USC steps over the SEC loser and the Big12 loser and the Big12 South runner up to go to number two and go to the NC game

happened exactly like that. much consternation was made over not winning the division, additionally, that team, ranked four (like Oklahoma this year) didn't play the final weekend which hurt them in the computer rankings.

USC is not going to swoop in. I don't see how people just ignore the circumstances that made what happened last year possible. Go back to the links I gave to THR for the facts I'll be referring here.

1) Last year when Georgia got passed they were of medium strength in computer rankings (they were at .830 and dropped to .800 after the conference title games)
2) Teams that passed Georgia (VT and LSU) were pretty much tied with Georgia in computer rankings before that last weekend.
3) This year USC has awful computer rankings (currently .730)
4) The team that USC has to compete with (UT) has a .940 computer rankings, and is ranked higher in all polls.
5) USC is playing UCLA. UCLA sucks this year. Beating them will not get USC any credit. VT beat #11 BC and LSU beat #14 Tennessee. OU beat #1 Missouri.

I love USC just as much as the next guy. I'm a pac 10 supporter at heart. But they're not going to be in the title game no matter what happens. Texas is way too far in front of them for beating a crappy UCLA team to give them any help. Add in that the Pac 10 is considered to be down this year and the Big 12 is considered to be very strong and there is no way a 1 loss USC is going in there in front of a 1 loss Texas. It just isn't happening.

Repeat after me, there is no requirement that a team must win its conference to get in the title game. All it is is an extra week of games where teams get one more chance to prove themselves and make a play for votes. USC is way too far down in both polls and in computer standings (they are awful compared to the situation VT/OU/LSU were in last year) to make it up. Beating gimped UCLA means nothing because UCLA sucks. If they were playing Cal then maybe. But they're not.

Edit: Just go look at [url="http://www.bcsguru.com/"]http://www.bcsguru.com/[/url].

Arakasi - You are right about most, but I telling you that UGA was eliminated in some peoples eyes last year b/c they did not win their division. I heard people on ESPN say it. I had to listen to Herbstreit on the radio in Atlanta try to explain why not winning the conference should matter when he was all for a OSU vs. Michigan rematch the year before. I remember seeing a round table of the experts talking about who it should be. They started by saying that you first eliminate UGA b/c they did not win the conference. I think every year is different and this one is unusual with 3 - 1 loss teams in the division. They all have a case. There is still a lot of football to be played. It should be interesting.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1604040' date='Nov 30 2008, 19.05']I just realized that Oregon State is technically still alive for a Rose Bowl birth. All they need is for UCLA to beat USC. I would say the odds of that happening are about 1 in 75. Maybe a bit less.

Can anyone show me a starting QB worse than Kevin Craft anywhere in D-1? I realize that he was the Bruin's 3rd stringer before two other guys went down but Christ does he suck.[/quote]

I would say it is more like 1 in 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000.

Archived