College Football

Gold Storm

[quote name='Billy Clyde' post='1610091' date='Dec 5 2008, 07.51']On topic... the natives just up I-65 from me in Louisville are getting quite restless. When Mike Teel throws 6 touchdown passes in the first half... you can really tell that there's something not quite right with the Cardinals' football team. This was UofL's first losing season since 1997. Kragthorpe will be around next year, but I fully expect to see that job becoming available sooner rather than later.[/quote]

Yea, there really might be something to that Petrino guy. U of L really nosedived when he left, even when they still had Brian Brohm and some killer recievers last year. Two years ago Louisville really seemed like a program on the upswing that had a lot of potential... now not so much. It's pretty bad when Syracuse has your number, theyve beat U of L twice in a row now. Gotta gove some credit to Rutgers though, what a turnaround. A 1-5 start to end up 7-5, thats craziness. I was actually at the game in New Jersey where they edged out UCONN to start thier 6-0 run. I'm really glad West Virginia played them before they caught fire, they played us pretty close as it was.

[quote name='lockesnow' post='1609917' date='Dec 5 2008, 00.40']I'd suggest the big12 but other than Oklahoma, none of the teams are willing to schedule real non-conference opponents (the SEC schedules plenty of real non-conference opponents). and I doubt Oklahoma is willing to play USC again unless forced to.[/quote]

ehhh, Nebraska just got done playing a home and home with USC last year. Now we are in the midst of a home and home with Virgina Tech.

Texas did a home and home with Ohio State. Other teams in the Big 12 and SEC (and even Big 10) do schedule home and homes sometime. The difference between those conferences and the ACC/Big East/Pac 10 is the latter will schedule those matchups plus 1-2 more real games. (to be in the hunt for the national title in those conferences as a one loss team they need to have a superior schedule to offset the championship game) If a Big 12/10/SEC schedules a tough game you're pretty much guaranteed that is the only tough game they'll set up.

:cry:

what a horrible year. i've never really liked the way that auburn's boosters constantly stick their nose in our sports business. we've already had 5 recruits decommit as well. i think we'll be fine but it sure is a hard pill to swallow.

apparently, tubs is going to remain at auburn for the next year, not as a coach but working "closely with the president".

[quote name='Arakasi' post='1610353' date='Dec 5 2008, 11.11']Texas did a home and home with Ohio State. Other teams in the Big 12 and SEC (and even Big 10) do schedule home and homes sometime. The difference between those conferences and the ACC/Big East/Pac 10 is the latter will schedule those matchups plus 1-2 more real games. (to be in the hunt for the national title in those conferences as a one loss team they need to have a superior schedule to offset the championship game) If a Big 12/10/SEC schedules a tough game you're pretty much guaranteed that is the only tough game they'll set up.[/quote]

Yeah, Oklahoma State is completing a home & home with Georgia in 2009.

And I don't know how someone can say that Oklahoma is willing to schedule real nonconference competition. Stoops has made clear on many occasions that he would prefer a powderpuff nonconference schedule since strength of schedule doesn't count for nearly as much as it used to in the current BCS format. He'd also rather do away with the conference championship game.

Faelar

huh, well I agree with Stoops, Conference championship games (and conferences over ten teams in size) are a dumb idea.

but a lot of people don't like my ideas, for instance I'd say an eight team playoff should be the six conference champs and the two conference champs from two of the other conferences with the best records (I suppose in a year like this you'd have to revert to a ranking tie breaker). no one gets a second slot, no at large. settle it on the field, not in an inherently biased ranking system. And Notre dame doesn't get any special "in," they'd have to join a conference to play for the title. Noone wants to see an eight team playoff with three big 12 teams, three SEC, and Two Big 10 teams every year.

Oh and I forgot about Nebraska's scheduling, hopefully they'll stay forgotten. :)

[quote name='lockesnow' post='1610417' date='Dec 5 2008, 13.26']huh, well I agree with Stoops, Conference championship games (and conferences over ten teams in size) are a dumb idea.

but a lot of people don't like my ideas, for instance I'd say an eight team playoff should be the six conference champs and the two conference champs from two of the other conferences with the best records (I suppose in a year like this you'd have to revert to a ranking tie breaker). no one gets a second slot, no at large. settle it on the field, not in an inherently biased ranking system. And Notre dame doesn't get any special "in," they'd have to join a conference to play for the title. Noone wants to see an eight team playoff with three big 12 teams, three SEC, and Two Big 10 teams every year.

Oh and I forgot about Nebraska's scheduling, hopefully they'll stay forgotten. :)[/quote]

I agree with your ideas. But its impossible for the SEC and Big 12 to do round robins as they are now and still have an ooc schedule, you'd have to re-arrange those conferences. You could maybe take 4 from each and create a new conference. Put ND and Penn State in the Big East, then all BCS conferences would be either 8 or 10 teams. Then theres room for OOC games and for a round robin and would eliminate the need for at-large nonsense. The winner of all those conferences + the best non BCS team and we have our playoff. Never gonna happen that way, but I think itd be sweet.

Edit: Ah crap I forgot about the ACC having 12 teams.. back to the drawing board. I guess maybe you could take 2 ACC teams and put them with the remaining SEC, then everyone would still be 10 or 8.

[quote name='S John' post='1610426' date='Dec 5 2008, 13.37']I agree with your ideas. But its impossible for the SEC and Big 12 to do round robins as they are now and still have an ooc schedule, you'd have to re-arrange those conferences. You could maybe take 4 from each and create a new conference. Put ND and Penn State in the Big East, then all BCS conferences would be either 8 or 10 teams. Then theres room for OOC games and for a round robin and would eliminate the need for at-large nonsense. The winner of all those conferences + the best non BCS team and we have our playoff. Never gonna happen that way, but I think itd be sweet.

Edit: Ah crap I forgot about the ACC having 12 teams.. back to the drawing board. I guess maybe you could take 2 ACC teams and put them with the remaining SEC, then everyone would still be 10 or 8.[/quote]

Long live the SWC!

[quote name='Billy Clyde' post='1610524' date='Dec 5 2008, 15.15']Long live the SWC![/quote]

Well, a sorta half SWC half SEC west is what I'd suggest. Have TT, UT, A&M, Baylor, then add LSU, Arkansas and the 2 Mississippi teams. Re-form the old Big 8 with the rest of the Big 12 teams. Since LSU, Arkansas and the 2 Mississippi teams have been taken out of the SEC, pick two of either GT, Miami, FSU, and Clemson from the ACC. Now the SEC and the ACC both have 10, and the Big 12 is now split between two eight team conferences. Take Penn State out of the Big 11 so that they go back to being 10 teams, put PSU and Notre Dame with the Big East.

So youd end up with a 10 team ACC, 10 team SEC, the Big 10, the Big 8, an 8 team SWC/SEC west hybrid conference, the PAC 10, and a 10 team Big East. That makes 7 BCS conferences instead of 6 without kicking any current BCS team out [i]and [/i]forces ND to join one. Each conference plays a round robin, conference champions go to the playoffs, leaving one at large spot for a non- BCS or an exceptionally awesome runner-up. Problem solved.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1610567' date='Dec 5 2008, 15.54']S John - Is there any chance you'll go to El Paso if WVU goes to the Sun Bowl. I'm going to be there for Oregon State. We could go over to Juarez and dodge gunfire together.[/quote]

Hadnt put much thought into it honestly, but that sounds like a hell of a time. I've got enough connections with WVU types that I could get tickets, but transportation might be an issue. We've got one more game before I buy tickets to any bowl, I don't think many Mountaineer fans will be making [i]that [/i]mistake again. :lol:

I think we could be looking at the Meineke Car Care Bowl in Charlotte :|. I think you all are more likely going to be playing Pitt... who I think you'll beat.

[quote name='FezRock' post='1609625' date='Dec 4 2008, 15.33']Doesn't really matter though, because tomorrow Ball State's undefeated season is gonna go down in flames. GO BULLS!

Its our first winning season in I-A, first MAC championship game, first... yadda yadda yadda. So many firsts, I can't even keep track of them all. All I know is that its been a fantastic season, and hope we can continue to build on it in the years to come. Com'on BCS schools, be idiots and don't offer Turner Gill a job (not that i'm positive he'd leave Buffalo anyway, despite it being the 'common sense' thing to do if he gets the right offer).[/quote]

Hey Fez, it looks like your Bulls are going to knock Ball State out of the ranks of the undefeated :cheers: they have been playing great all night.

AH-HA! Its 4:30am local time just got back from a fantastic night out, I see ESPN.com and BAM! VICTORY!

Buffalo came to Ford Field to chew bubblegum and kick some ass, and they ran out of bubblegum.

Who are we?

BUFFALO!

[quote name='FezRock' post='1610904' date='Dec 5 2008, 20.36']AH-HA! Its 4:30am local time just got back from a fantastic night out, I see ESPN.com and BAM! VICTORY!

Buffalo came to Ford Field to chew bubblegum and kick some ass, and they ran out of bubblegum.

Who are we?

BUFFALO![/quote]

:D

Congrats, Fez. First MAC title, that's awesome.

[quote name='FezRock' post='1610904' date='Dec 5 2008, 23.36']AH-HA! Its 4:30am local time just got back from a fantastic night out, I see ESPN.com and BAM! VICTORY!

Who are we?

BUFFALO![/quote]

Fez, Congrats. A great game. I watched it at a bar tonight. The hit at the goal line, the fumble, and the return was great.

MAC Champs. I never thought I would be excited about Buffalo, but I was really pulling for them b/c of you.

good job Buffalo, Missouri needed one of their wins to look stronger. :) I was mad when the commentators scoffed that Missouri didn't put you guys away without a blip, I was saying, They're a damned good team you blindered biased imbeciles, get you head out of the SEC's ass or off Tebow's cock and pay attention to the whole field, not just the teams you babysit.

[quote name='SergioCQH' post='1611010' date='Dec 6 2008, 06.29']Missouri, you either need to win, or get crushed. Please don't play it close and get beat at the end. I have studying to do.[/quote]

I would prefer they win, but please don't break my heart at the end. Win or get crushed. Yes.

*wanders off grumbling about frikin' stoopid OU*

[quote name='LacyinTX' post='1611063' date='Dec 6 2008, 09.24']I would prefer they win, but please don't break my heart at the end. Win or get crushed. Yes.

*wanders off grumbling about frikin' stoopid OU*[/quote]

Doesn't matter too much really in the Red Raider's sake. If Missouri wins them and UT go to BCS bowls. If OU wins its them and UT. In no scenario does TT get to go due to the 2 team rule.

Archived