Eastercon and Aetherica

Sophelia

Anyone thinking of going to either of these?

[quote name='Eastercon LX']Run by fans, for fans, [url="http://lx2009.com/"]Eastercon[/url] is the UK’s largest annual speculative fiction convention, covering science fiction, fantasy and horror. As a general convention it embraces SF in all its manifestations from the literary to art, film, television, live performance, comics and role playing games - find out more on the ‘What is Eastercon?‘ page. LX will be the 60th Eastercon and will take place over Easter weekend, 10-13 April, 2009 [in Bradford, UK]. There’ll be all sorts of different elements to keep you informed and entertained, such as:

Panel discussions, talks and lectures from experts, fans and combinations of the two
Workshops and demonstrations covering subjects from costuming to comic art
Live performances, both musical and dramatic
The British Science Fiction Association Awards Ceremony
The UK’s largest SF, Fantasy & Horror Art Show
Fannish shopping heaven: the Dealers’ Room[/quote]
Guests of honour:
Tim Powers (writer)
Jon Courtenay Grimwood (writer)
Dirk Maggs (writer and director)
David Lloyd (comic artist)
Bill and Mary Burns (fans)

Membership prices:
Adult attending £50
Concession (unwaged) £30
Young Adult (under 25) £30
Junior (under 17) £20
Child (under 12) £5
Infant (under 5) Free

[quote name='Aetherica']Aetherica is a new fantasy convention being held at midsummer, June 19-21 2009, at the Crowne Plaza Hotel in Chester. More details are available on the [url="http://www.aetherica.org/"]website[/url].

We are thrilled also to announce our Guests of Honour, Peter S. Beagle and Joe Abercrombie.

Current membership rates are:

Adult: £35 (until Nov 16)
Junior (under 18): £25
Infants (under 5): £5[/quote]

Aertherica looks very tempting to me, even if that bloody Abercrombie is going.
Always wanted to visit Chester and this is as good a reason if any, plus I think you can legally shoot a Welshman with a bow and arrow from the city walls. ;)

[quote name='Ser Sean' post='1579659' date='Nov 6 2008, 11.54']...plus I think you can legally shoot a Welshman with a bow and arrow from the city walls. ;)[/quote]

Seeing as they are totally imaginary you may even manage to hit one :P

Sorry folks, Aetherica's been cancelled. Just got the email. Poor economic conditions and unexpected issues with the venue, apparently.

That and some outrageous demands by one of the guests of honour. Baths of champagne, bed made of thousand dollar bills, puppies in the dressing room, carried to the venue on a golden palanquin, etc.

Anyway, shame, but there it is, these things happen. You might have to wait a little longer to see me make a dick of myself in front of a small to medium sized crowd.

[quote name='Joe Abercrombie' post='1584572' date='Nov 11 2008, 05.09']Sorry folks, Aetherica's been cancelled. Just got the email. Poor economic conditions and unexpected issues with the venue, apparently.

That and some outrageous demands by one of the guests of honour. Baths of champagne, bed made of thousand dollar bills, puppies in the dressing room, carried to the venue on a golden palanquin, etc.

Anyway, shame, but there it is, these things happen. You might have to wait a little longer to see me make a dick of myself in front of a small to medium sized crowd.[/quote]

Tis a shame...

I will give you one thing; you sure as hell know how to travel in style.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Joe Abercrombie' post='1584572' date='Nov 11 2008, 09.09']Sorry folks, Aetherica's been cancelled. Just got the email. Poor economic conditions and unexpected issues with the venue, apparently.

Anyway, shame, but there it is, these things happen. You might have to wait a little longer to see me make a dick of myself in front of a small to medium sized crowd.[/quote]

So Peter Beagle is a prat after all.

Archived