Dany's Boy

Adelle Tully

[mod] OK, now this thread is just getting obnoxious. How someone's uncle was crippled is nobody's business. Laughing at gay people [i]because they are gay[/i] is not acceptable. Please remember how your comments will come across to others before you hit "post" button, because even if you don't mean to be prying or homophobic, your comments might be construed as such by others. [/mod]

[quote name='Branfangd' post='1631651' date='Dec 27 2008, 17.18']That was the original Point He merely stated that we can't assume just because Bran's a cripple doesn't mean he is sterile /unable[/quote]
Thank you, Branfangd, that was indeed my point. The discussion made me curious, so I looked around a bit at some of the health/medical sites. Regarding paraplegia, to cut and paste:

[quote]The extent of the paralysis depends on the level of the spinal cord at which the damage occurs. For example, damage to the lowest area of the cord may result only in paralysis of the legs, whereas damage farther up on the cord causes possible loss of control over the muscles of the bladder and rectum as well or, if occurring even higher, may result in paralysis of all four limbs and loss of control over the muscles involved in breathing.[/quote]
So what really matters isn't whether or not someone was in a car accident, took a bullet to the spine, or was "hurled off of an abandoned part of a medieval library tower," but how high up the spine the injury was, as well as whether the spinal cord was partially or completely (through its entire diameter) damaged. My guess would be that, for a particular injury, someone would likely end up having both incontinence and impotence, or neither. It certainly doesn't tell us anything definitive, but perhaps the lack of any mention of Bran's incontinence bodes well for his eventual ability to procreate. Of course, GRRM may just not have bothered to mention something as unpleasant as incontinence -- we all know how he shies away from depictions of anything physically unpleasant or gross (joking!), and it being a fantasy world and all, GRRM can give Bran any mix of physiological problems he wants.

Besides physiological arguments, another possible argument in favor of Bran's sterility is the fact that he has such extraordinary magical ability. Magic in Westeros tends to be associated with sterility, abstinence, or horrifying levels of sexual deviance--never with normal sex. Examples:

Melisandre
The sorcerer who castrated Varys
Qyburn
Euron
Jaqen
Marwyn

In other words, no one who practices a lot of magic ever ends up happily married with 2.5 kids. This seems to be one of the prices that you have to pay for the ability to wield magic. For this reason, I believe that Bran/Dany is unlikely.

Guest Other-in-law
[quote name='Rinso' post='1634824' date='Dec 31 2008, 08.47']Is there data that Qyburn, Euron, Jaqen or Marwyn participated in unnatural or horrfying sex / activity connected with sex? You are right about Melisandre and the sorcerer who castrated Varys, but otherwise?[/quote]
Qyburn also has a particular need for [i]women[/i] in the creation of his unbeatable necromantic champion...women who are 'used up' in the process. It has overtones of Stannis' fires burning low after the creation of shadowbabies, whatever the precise details.

Euron is widely believed to have molested his own brother Aeron, and possibly Urrigon as well; thence the scream of a rusty hinge.

(ETA: also a nitpick from upthread; Bran was tossed from the First Keep, not the Library Tower.)

• 4 weeks later...
This is my first post. I finally got caught up with everyone and joined the forum. I'm going with Bran. He had that dream with the three eyed raven telling him to fly and didn't Jojen Reed call him something like the wolf with wings? I'm guessing he will be one of the Dragon riders. If Dany doesn't marry him he will at least be one of the trusted she is looking for. Jon would be a good call but he is the commander of Night's Watch and he takes that seriously.

I am glad to hear I'm not the only one who thought of the R+L=J. It would make sense for Ned to hide his sister's child as his own to protect it from Robert. Wasn't Rhaegar loved by everyone? At the same time, the whole reason Ned joined Robert was because Rhaegar kidnapped Lyanna. I do believe wise Master Aemon would have sensed the dragon in Jon too. I also believe in omens and the 6 dire wolves found were for Ned's 6 children. The albino for his bastard. So, I'm torn with that. Thanks for the Renly/Loras revelation. Didn't see it but it makes perfect sense.

Back to the topic, I think Bran is one of the two people Dany is looking for but who is the other one? Is it a Martell, a Greyjoy, or maybe it's the Maid of Tarth? The Dragon has three heads!

Couple things,

It was said that it is circular to say Jon is the son of Lyanna because of the blue flower in the wall of ice and that the blue flower in the wall of ice is Jon because he is the son of Lyanna. That statement is true, taken alone. However, the House of the Undying vision came out in ACOK in 1998. I'm 99% sure people on this board were discussing R+L=J in 1997. The point is R+L=J was a theory before the House of the Undying vision was released. The further point is that there is a whole lot more than just the blue flower in the wall of ice to support R+L=J. So, it really goes like this, "Jon is the son of Lyanna because of the blue flower in the wall of ice ... and a [i]whole lot[/i] of other stuff, therefore, the blue flower in the wall of ice is Jon." I'm no logician so if that's still circular then "oh well". It works for me.

I'm 99% sure 99% of the board believed Renly and Loras were homosexual partners before George confirmed it.

I think Lord O' Bones has it right. She will end up with no one whether that is due to her own death or the death or her lover.

[quote name='Jon Targaryen' post='1660483' date='Jan 24 2009, 02.35']Couple things,

It was said that it is circular to say Jon is the son of Lyanna because of the blue flower in the wall of ice and that the blue flower in the wall of ice is Jon because he is the son of Lyanna. That statement is true, taken alone. However, the House of the Undying vision came out in ACOK in 1998. I'm 99% sure people on this board were discussing R+L=J in 1997. The point is R+L=J was a theory before the House of the Undying vision was released. The further point is that there is a whole lot more than just the blue flower in the wall of ice to support R+L=J. So, it really goes like this, "Jon is the son of Lyanna because of the blue flower in the wall of ice ... and a [i]whole lot[/i] of other stuff, therefore, the blue flower in the wall of ice is Jon." I'm no logician so if that's still circular then "oh well". It works for me.

I'm 99% sure 99% of the board believed Renly and Loras were homosexual partners before George confirmed it.

I think Lord O' Bones has it right. She will end up with no one whether that is due to her own death or the death or her lover.[/quote]

Lol. I'm in that 1% that was stupid enough to completely miss both theories all together. Shows how pereceptive I am.

[quote name='Hammy' post='1660772' date='Jan 24 2009, 05.49']Lol. I'm in that 1% that was stupid enough to completely miss both theories all together. Shows how pereceptive I am.[/quote]
I was under the impression that the discussion was over how many people believed Renly and Loras before George confirmed it, not before they came to the boards. I have no clue what percentage believed it before finding the boards. But most people that had found the boards and seen the theory believed it, before George confirmed it.

• 2 years later...

The sun will rise in the west and set in the east, the seas will go dry and mountains will blow in the wind like leaves. Her womb will quicken again, and she will bear a living child. Then Khal Drogo will return and she will spend the rest of her life with him.

She should get together with either Jon if hes Rhaegar's son or one of Bittersteel or Daemon Blackfyre's descendents. Anyone who is either Targaryen or Targaryen bastard so the Targaryen dynasty can continue. No one seems to want this but me. I for some reason really want the Targaryens to return.

I agree after they have resolidified their dynasty by marrying a Blackfyre or Jon. Then the Targaryens can marry kings of foreign countries like sensible European monarchies. Within a few generations they will be so inbred that they will still be able to ride dragons anyway:P

Fun fact: until Elizabeth Bowes Lyon the last Queen Consort to be from the United Kingdom was Katherine Parr. Untill Camilla or Catherine Middleton become queen the last Queen Consort of England to be English remains Katherine Parr (as Elizabeth Bowes Lyon was scottish)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived