BWB Europe Meet-up 2006

zakalwe7

Sounds reasonable. :) Various places in Germany were also mentioned but nobody seemed particularly interested in any. Although I think people can vote for other cities not in the above list if they want. I suppose you don't have to give your top 4 choices either. One is fine.

Also if we are voting, might be best to vote on a date too. The dates that seem to work are the last 2 weekends in April and the first 2 in May. Same thing, 1 to 4. If nothing else, we can ensure those weeks work for everyone.

[Euro-Con in Copenhagen 2007] was talked about at WC. Not sure did GRRM mention it, or whether we were saying that GRRM should attend. Was Ran going to do something? Or...there were people from Denmark saying they were going to try to get GRRM to attend. Maybe.

Interesting. Is this a real option? In that case I would assume that those who live in the vicinity (and that would include me) should start getting busy in 2006 if anything is to be organised. I would be sceptical if it is realistic to get Mr Martin to attend on such short notice, but in that case a major Eurocommie presence would have to be expected.

So is Padraig just speculating wildly, or is there some substance to these claims?

Interesting. Is this a real option? In that case I would assume that those who live in the vicinity (and that would include me) should start getting busy in 2006 if anything is to be organised. I would be sceptical if it is realistic to get Mr Martin to attend on such short notice, but in that case a major Eurocommie presence would have to be expected.

So is Padraig just speculating wildly, or is there some substance to these claims?

Ran discussed it with me during WorldCon at least. I'm hoping there may be some validity to it, since WorldCon in 2007 will be held in Japan, meaning few people will be able to attend.

Copenhagen is somewhat easier to get to.

I just remembered that Copenhagen just won Eurocon 2007 during this years WC, hence they haven't had a lot of time to finalise their guests. So it probably isn't too late for GRRM to get involved.

Previously I was thinking that GRRM has already scheduled a couple of conventions for 2008...so a 2007 addition didn't look very likely. And of course, he hasn't got any appearances in Europe scheduled for the next 3 years. That's not good. :)

Regarding EuroCon I remember we talking about it - but any meeting there would be dependent on the organizers of euroCon wanting to invite GRRM, and I don´t think we know everybody involved there, but if anybody there is interested who knows... My guess would be that GRRM visiting might be more workable if when it is in a country where his books are published, where there might be publishers wanting to publicize his books as well. N o clue about Denmark but damn *our* editorial market.

And my vote all round

Lisbon

Barcelona

Venice

Amsterdam

I can talk to the Eurocon organisers. (Not that I know them personally. But I'm a geek. And so are they. Sounds easy.) I have checked their organisation forum, and as far as I can see they are miles from having a guestlist. So there certainly should be room for GRRM.

But the main question is really if the man would be interested at all. I would assume he has better things to do than appearing at cons in strange countries where the cuisine is less than remarkable.

I suggest Grimsby Town in the UK (England) Im here and theres lots of fish and chip shops, its cold, theres a ebach and its looking out towards the sea. What more could anyone want :P

Downfall being it stinks of fish to newcomers. Ok so maybe not grimsby but had to advertise my Town somewhere around here :)

Lodengarl and I were having a discussion that touches tangentially on this Eurocon subject. I am of the opinion that our gatherings have gotten big enough and fun enough that we can do them even when GRRM is not on the guest list. Lodey isn't quite so sure.

I agree with you on that, Bronn.

It would be fantastic if George could make it, but i'm sure we could still have a good time if he couldn't get there.

Having said that, I think we should really try and get George over for the Eurocon!

That would be great HappyEnt. :) These things always need somebody to take the initiative. And don't rule out GRRM's interest. He did Eurocon a few years ago in the Czech Republic. And i'm sure he has done it a few other times also. It is the principle convention in Europe after all and he knows he has a lot of fans here. And its not like he is planning to appear in Europe otherwise. He does around 5 cons a year, so Europe can't be ignored. :)

One problem is that it could clash with something else he has planned. I can't find the dates its on.

But if the Eurocon organisers realise that it could get a bunch of extra members if they get GRRM...they they are bound to be interested also. ;)

Bronn, its different in the US because GRRM regularly appears at conventions. So if one is going to organise a gathering, one might as well take advantage of GRRM's schedule. Thus next year there will be a big gathering in LA and a smaller one in Boston. And i'm sure there will be talk about getting together in Ohio before May next year. But for Europe we have this years WC, before that we had the 2002 Eurocon and we probably will have to wait another 2 or 3 years for him to pop over here again. So we have to use our own initiative. Thus we have Eurocommie 2006 sans GRRM, but LAcon 2006 with GRRM. ;)

Archived