Cricket V

Paxter

Well, it seems that I have grossly underestimated the batting talents of Elliot and Broom, who have guided NZ home fairly comfortably. I suppose it was a little hasty for me to question Elliot's inclusion in my earlier post - he hasn't really done anything but succeed in his ODI career so far - 216 runs @ 72 with the bat and 9 wickets @ 14 with an RPO of 4.02. Those are exemplary stats for a player just starting out in international cricket.

McCullum played a strange knock today - but a solid rather than frenetic start was probably just what was required in this game.

BTW: I know I'm starting to sound like a broken record here - but what is White doing in this team!! He didn't bat that badly tonight.....but why is a career batting average of 25 and a bowling economy of over 6 runs/over enough to get him into the team as an all-rounder in the first place?! I realise that he has a batting SR of over 90, but his bowling contribution needs to be far better if he is going to average below 30 with bat in hand.

Triskele,

[i]Which cricketer has scored the most first class centuries in history?
A: Sachin Tendulkar B: Ricky Ponting
C: Michael Slater D: Jack Hobbs
[/i]
Not being a student of the game's history I must admit I would have gotten this answer wrong, so I would have used a lifeline.

[b]WI v ENG:[/b] Man, Chris Gayle is a man in form. An imposing presence and not a little intimidating. Another century looms I think.

[b]Aus v NZ ODI:[/b] From the commentary some ordinary fielding from Australia and some measured batting by NZ. Glad Elliot chanced him arm when he came in, he showed similar form when he appeared against the Windies not long ago. Sydney on Sunday should be a cracker.

I was quite pleased to see McCullum batting slowly actually, it shows he can adapt to the situation. He's probably our most talented batsman after Taylor, but he's no Adam Gilchrist, and doesn't need to be.

Also, is there a good reason for the best ODI bowler in the world only getting 9 overs in, or did Clarke get his counting mixed up?

[quote name='Rimmer' post='1676094' date='Feb 6 2009, 06.46']ONE boundary in the last 10 overs of a one-dayer with wickets in hand. Has that ever happened before?[/quote]

I'm sure England must have managed it at some point. I wouldn't be surprised if they'd managed zero boundaries some time.

[quote]Which cricketer has scored the most first class centuries in history?
A: Sachin Tendulkar B: Ricky Ponting
C: Michael Slater D: Jack Hobbs

Not being a student of the game's history I must admit I would have gotten this answer wrong, so I would have used a lifeline.[/quote]

I was thinking about the question when watching the film. I didn't really know the answer, but I think I would have gone for Hobbs by process of elimination (I didn't think it was any of the others), and because the major first class records mostly seem to have been scored many decades ago - I remember there was an article when Mark Ramprakash passed 100 centuries last year that was speculating he might be the last player to do it due to fewer first-class games being played now.

[quote name='Rimmer' post='1677261' date='Feb 7 2009, 07.44']Also, is there a good reason for the best ODI bowler in the world only getting 9 overs in, or did Clarke get his counting mixed up?[/quote]

I think Clarke was banking on Bracken bowling the final over, it just turned out that there wasn't one. ;)

As for McCullum's batting...to be honest, I think the commentators place a bit too much emphasis on him. He is a great strokeplayer and a dangerous batsman, but the way some of the commentators talk about him, it's like he's up there in a league with Gilchrist, Dhoni, etc as far as keeper-batsmen are concerned. His average is too low to be considered that, and more often than not he gets out cheaply. That being said it seems like he's due to play a good innings soon.

I think he was better when he batted down at seven to be honest. He used to come in when we were in trouble and get nice quick 60s all the time. He still hasn't had a really good opening innings against a decent bowling attack; the only memorable one has been the crazy score in the IPL.

[quote name='Rimmer' post='1677320' date='Feb 7 2009, 08.13']I think he was better when he batted down at seven to be honest. He used to come in when we were in trouble and get nice quick 60s all the time. He still hasn't had a really good opening innings against a decent bowling attack; the only memorable one has been the crazy score in the IPL.[/quote]

It might not be a bad idea to put McCullum back down the order. Then there's no confusion about his role; he's there to play his shots and provide that lower order hitting power. When he opens, his mission seems to be to get NZ off to a flying start, but it's much harder to do that when you're against the new ball and playing against the fresh opening bowlers, and as an opener sometimes you have to trade flair for solidity (like he did last night). He could dominate the game in the middle overs better.

[url="http://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/5305402/south-africa-captain-smith-cleared-play"]Smith Declared fit for Test Series[/url]

[quote]In a statement released by Cricket South Africa on Friday, Smith said the team's medical team had told him he could resume playing.[/quote]

[quote name='Ser Stubby' post='1677666' date='Feb 7 2009, 13.34'][url="http://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/5305402/south-africa-captain-smith-cleared-play"]Smith Declared fit for Test Series[/url][/quote]

[quote]Outgoing team leader Dr. Sylvia Tsotele denied their recommendation was influenced in any way by Smith agressively brandishing a cricket bat during the final assessment nor by his repeated assertions that he was 'out of practice' and 'needed a good hit-out'.[/quote]

[quote name='Jeor' post='1677302' date='Feb 7 2009, 07.03']I think Clarke was banking on Bracken bowling the final over, it just turned out that there wasn't one. ;)

As for McCullum's batting...to be honest, I think the commentators place a bit too much emphasis on him. He is a great strokeplayer and a dangerous batsman, but the way some of the commentators talk about him, it's like he's up there in a league with Gilchrist, Dhoni, etc as far as keeper-batsmen are concerned. His average is too low to be considered that, and more often than not he gets out cheaply. That being said it seems like he's due to play a good innings soon.[/quote]

I'm not sure I agree with this. I mean, McCullum has been really excellent since he moved up the order - batting at number 6, 7 and 8 he averages only 16, 24 and 25 (respectively) and has a SR of roughly 80 in these positions. In contrast, he averages 32.6 when opening the batting and has a SR of over 90. That is quite a marked improvement IMO.

Let's compare that to Gillie's stats when opening the batting: he averages about 36 with a SR of around 95. Those stats when opening the batting are fairly similar to McCullum's. So really, I don't think there's much of an argument that McCullum should move down the order. Or at the very least, the statistics indicate that he is doing a much better job up the order (both in terms of runs scored and the rate at which he scores them).

I think I've been ruminating about dropping McCullum down because he's in a form slump; the only memorable one he has played that I can remember recently is that IPL opener that Rimmer mentioned. Looking back at his ODI record he hasn't made a half century in his last 10 innings, although admittedly before that he looks to have had a pretty good series against England.

Anyway, there are arguments to be had from both having him as an opener and having him down the middle order. He is undoubtedly an asset to both; as a lower order hitter, or as the aggressive top order batsman, and both areas need help. The NZ batting struggles to assert itself at the top of the order and also lacks a power hitter lower down. But I think given his form slump moving him down might help him; in a way it forces him to play his natural game by hitting out, whereas as an opener he has a choice and I think he sometimes seems a bit confused by it.

[quote name='Jeor' post='1677926' date='Feb 7 2009, 15.39']The NZ batting struggles to assert itself at the top of the order and also lacks a power hitter lower down.[/quote]

Of course, a fully fit NZ side would not have this problem because the explosive Ryder usually opens and the even-more-explosive Oram is the power hitter in the lower order. But you are quite right that, at the moment, they are lacking in both departments and McCullum would certainly help the situation at the end of the innings. But I still think that the NZ top order looks far too brittle without McCullum opening. He batted sensibly in MCG and got the innings off to a reasonable start - which is exactly what you want when you are chasing a moderate total on a slow pitch. If he wasn't there to calm things down at the top, panic may have ensued.

Wow, Ponting's been recalled. Lessens our chance of taking the series, but it shows that maybe Australia does in fact give a toss about playing us ;) It'd be quite funny if he gets a duck now.

Interesting stats Paxter - can't really argue with them; I had no idea he's done that much better opening.

As I type this England are 26/6! Still 48 runs after the Windies took a 76 run lead. What has happened to a once proud team that won the Ashes.....

Actually, they lost another wicket while I was typing this post, so its 26/7 :stunned:

That. is. pretty. freaking. HILARIOUS!

Man, the Windies have been waiting a long time for this, but England getting bowled out for 51?! That is just ridiculous.

btw, I'll be going out to the NZ Aus odi, in the 44 degree heat. Oh what fun.

Well, that was just unbelievable...if anything, I thought it might have happened the other way around. If things continue like they have been doing for England and Australia, it's going to be one mighty fine Ashes series...two teams scrapping it out street-style.

Archived