Feast and Problems

The Kreb

I know it's a long ways off, but I'm concerned about season four of the prospective series. Can the show truly survive a season without half of its principle cast? I really hope they merge Feast and Dance together for season four. To me, it is the only solution.

It would be, indeed, very natural for them to figure out how to revisit all the characters in those books within the same season(s). So I'd guess AFfC and ADwD will lose the tight thematic and geographic focus that the books have when converted to the screen, if we get there.

Doing both together seems like a good idea. Although the actors would probably appreciate some time off to do a film or theatre that the season break would bring.
They could also do something a bit different in that they could mix and match the AFFC and ADWD. For example keep the Cersei, Sansa and Jaime chapters (and abridged Brienne chapters) and throw in all the wall chapters from ADWD. Tyrion could probably run through both series (we can drop in on him travelling for AFFC) - keeping people relatively happy. As for ADWD that could be kept intact as it's own series with it focusing on Dany and those seeking/courting her. I'd put Arya in ADWD and split the seasons by Westeros bound and non-westeros with Sam and Tyrion acting as in betweens.
If the show does it's job well, Tyrion should be a favourite so we need him in all seasons.

Then again, shows like the wire were able to withsatns having major characters relegated to the background for long stretches. I think the main challenge would be to make AFFC work on screen, as I reckon a lot of it could be covered relatively shortly if the iron isles and Dorne chapters cut to the chase (could be done in 8 episodes easily).

[quote name='siyrean' post='1669451' date='Jan 31 2009, 14.57']put feast and dance together, split it in half... cut season 3 and add the end to season 4 to fill it out.[/quote]
Why would you cut Storm of Swords? It's the best book in the series so far.

[quote name='Lady Blackfish' post='1669600' date='Jan 31 2009, 23.14']Not cut it out, but move some of it to season 4. It would sort out some chronology issues too maybe, though of course you have to keep the season's arc still satisfying.[/quote]

Which parts of ASOS do you think happen during the time frame of AFFC? The only ones i can think of are maybe some of Arya's story and posibly Dany.

This is really a moment where Happy Ent's uber-timeline is needed, but I can't remember which thread I saw it in last. His argument was that the way GRRM structured ASoS with timelines all over the place (although you don't really realize it at first) made for a great book with a thundering conclusion, but some of it overlaps with AFfC (and, by extension, ADwD). If the producers get the series that far, they may keep the books' titles for each season but do some serious shifting around for storyline cohesion.

[quote name='Adelle Tully' post='1671755' date='Feb 2 2009, 19.23']Since the book itself was published as two books, would it not just make more sense to make ASOS two seasons long? I thought we were doing roughly a season a book...[/quote]
In the US, it was published as a single volume as was intended.

A season and a half sounds about right for aSoS. Where would that leave you with a crankin' sesaon finale for season 4, though? I'm sure there'll be some events in ADWD but not much happens in the first half of AFFC. Probably Euron's Kingsmoot would make the most badass ending, and Arya going blind.

Archived