Yellow fever

Yagathai

[quote name='The Anti-Targ' post='1680878' date='Feb 9 2009, 22.20']Why would you inject colour or ethnicity into the question in the first place? Why not simpoly ask: "So what happened to the man who used to work here?" I'm sure they'll know who you are talking about.[/quote]

It's quite likely that there have been several men who've worked at the pharmacy in the past. I've seen other people come and go (and I can't really remember what they looked like but none were South Asian), this guy just stood out because he was usually the one to fill my order and he got me a discount card. Doesn't mean that other employees would know who I was talking about if I just said "the man".

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1680947' date='Feb 9 2009, 23.32']Multiple pretty girls LARPing. You're stretching your credibilty a bit here.[/quote]

This is not as crazy as it sounds. There are pretty nerd women. Look at the BWB gallery for instance. I don't think any of the female boarders LARP but expand your mind! It is not all pale teenage kids playing Vampire the Masquerade and talking with the voices and what have you.

Then again, the fact that I have done LARP seems to mark me as a chief nerd even among nerds, so I don't expect to be taken very seriously here. :P

[quote name='Eponine' post='1677609' date='Feb 7 2009, 12.13']You're right. I'm sure if I knew you, I would not hesitate to date you.

Uhm, I mean...

for that reason.

I overstated my case and I apologize. However, if I barely know someone (or just from an online profile), if they start in on "Japan this" and "anime that" right away without really talking about anything else, when they ask "so what are you doing this weekend", I always say "I'm busy".[/quote]
Bit of a throw back to earlier in the thread, but wanted to finish reading it all before I posted. I also think its wrong to lump appreciating anime in with this, I don't really see it as any different to other geeky subsets of entertainmnet (much like SFF).

That said, I'm now going to generalise against Japanophiles! Although I find the female ones more perplexing than the male ones. Not that I've got a problem with Japan, its got its pros and cons like everyone, and they certainly come out with some bizarre yet compelling and entertaining shit, but I find women that idolise traditional Japanese culture weird.

[quote name='Mack Kilimaro' post='1681023' date='Feb 10 2009, 16.35']This is not as crazy as it sounds. There are pretty nerd women. Look at the BWB gallery for instance. I don't think any of the female boarders LARP but expand your mind! It is not all pale teenage kids playing Vampire the Masquerade and talking with the voices and what have you.

Then again, the fact that I have done LARP seems to mark me as a chief nerd even among nerds, so I don't expect to be taken very seriously here. :P[/quote]
Sticks hand up.

we had roughly 4 reasonably hot women in the LARP I played years ago, it was great the organisers always managed to find time for us because of that one fact :)

Now if you want to see hot women roleplaying you should see my cousins group,4 hot women and I mean varying from hot to damn near uber hot in her group of six players and she is not what would be called ugly either. So yes there are indeed hot nerds out there.

Just a couple of points:

I was under the impression India, Sri Lanka etc was a subcontinent due to it not actually being part of the Asian continent until plate movement made it smash into Asia, creating the Himalayas. I may be completely wrong.

There don't seem to be many boarders resident in Africa.

I saw someone describe themselves as Jook Sing. I'm mat sully or something (don't know how to spell it) because I'm half Malay and can speak only a few words of the language. It's weird going back because I've always felt really alien in the culture, as well as feeling taller than usual. I mean I'm only 6"3 but I've been asked a few times whether I play basketball by people I've never met.

Also, in my experience, of my parents' friends in mixed race relationships, including my parents, it is almost always white male plus asian female.

[quote name='The Man Who' post='1681077' date='Feb 10 2009, 01.36']I mean I'm only 6"3 but I've been asked a few times whether I play basketball by people I've never met.[/quote]
For short people like me, anyone over 6' is in basketball-playing territory because the hoop isn't half a mile away for them. ;)

Not many boarders in Africa, no. Lack of ASOIAF distribution, maybe?

Is it possible to fetishise Asian women and men, but not through the lens of subservience? The cultural interest, language, beauty elements, etc in themselves are common elements to attraction to certain ethnicities.

[quote name='Angalin' post='1681094' date='Feb 10 2009, 10.02']For short people like me, anyone over 6' is in basketball-playing territory because the hoop isn't half a mile away for them. ;)

Not many boarders in Africa, no. Lack of ASOIAF distribution, maybe?[/quote]

I guess in most parts. In South Africa I've found that it is there at most decently sized bookshops, and there are a fair amount of people buying them but they don't seem to pop up here.

[quote name='Multaniette' post='1681171' date='Feb 10 2009, 12.35']it is zak. :D

the man who,

sri lanka is kinda an island so it's rather difficult for it to be a 'subcontinent'. :P[/quote]

Isn't Sri Lanka on the same tectonic plate or something? Or am I just pulling stuff out of thin air?

[quote name='Triskele' post='1681173' date='Feb 10 2009, 15.37']"Bryce, I think we have more important things than Sri Lanka to worry about."[/quote]

eh, actually [url="http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/from_our_own_correspondent/7862470.stm"]not[/url].

the man who,

it is indeed the same tectonic plate. it isn't considered part of the geographical subcontinent though since subcontinent, is by definition, not an island.

culturally speaking, south asia is the preferred term - i think.

Re: jok sing

As far as I can tell, that's a very Cantonese slang. I don't think I've encountered its analog in Mandarin.

Re: Zak

[quote name='zakalwe7' post='1681106' date='Feb 10 2009, 02.28']Is it possible to fetishise Asian women and men, but not through the lens of subservience? The cultural interest, language, beauty elements, etc in themselves are common elements to attraction to certain ethnicities.[/quote]

I think it's possible, in theory. In practice, I'd have to see it on a case-by-case situation. I have seen two or three such people, but those tend to be academic types who know more about Asian history than I do, so I think their fondness comes across as more genuine and less patronizing. That is not to say that all academics in Asian studies are non-patronizing (had one rather unpleasant encounter with one professor on Asian studies once at a social event...), of course. So, yeah, I have seen it done, just very rarely.

[quote name='zakalwe7' post='1681106' date='Feb 10 2009, 03.28']Is it possible to fetishise Asian women and men, but not through the lens of subservience? The cultural interest, language, beauty elements, etc in themselves are common elements to attraction to certain ethnicities.[/quote]

Sure it is. If you meet a woman and are attracted to who she is, and her culture, language, etc are one part of that- a common interest and a way you want to be more involved in her life, great.

If you've built up a fantasy where the woman is just an empty vessel for you to experience Asian culture, and any Asian woman could be dropped into the role without regard for who she is as a person, not so great.

And sure, people are shallow in other ways, like just wanting to date a beautiful woman and not caring what she's like as a person, but in my experience, dating a beautiful asshole/bore/idiot gets old very quickly, while a generic cultural icon who also happens to be a real person can be drained for all she's worth.

*cough* Does she mean your entire body is small and smooth and tiny or your [fill in the blank] is small and smooth and tiny? Because you certainly aren't small (although I haven't seen your [fill in the blank].[quote name='TerraPrime' post='1677161' date='Feb 6 2009, 15.52']"I love Asian guys! You are so small and smooth and tiny!"[/quote]

[quote name='Betara' post='1681441' date='Feb 10 2009, 10.15']*cough* Does she mean your entire body is small and smooth and tiny or your [fill in the blank] is small and smooth and tiny? Because you certainly aren't small (although I haven't seen your [fill in the blank].[/quote]

:lol:

No, he hasn't even seen me, other than the face pic I have on my profile. He saw that I am Asian, and that's like, the 5th line he blurted out. I think he was commenting the overall physique and not my penis.

Or maybe he was? I didn't stay to find out. He went on to my ignore list after that comment.

I did contemplate having a pic of my hairy legs and giving him nightmare over "ZOMG Oh noes!! Asians with body haaaaaair!!!!11!" Decided it's not worth the trouble. :P

[quote name='Jacen' post='1681947' date='Feb 10 2009, 13.46']Hard hitting news magnate The Onion has a [url="http://www.theonion.com/content/news/asian_teen_has_sweaty_middle_aged"]new revelation[/url] to add to our debate.[/quote]

:lol:

[quote]"It's not uncommon for Asian girls to be fascinated with these types of men," said Dr. Yasuhara, who found in a recent survey that three out of 10 Japanese teenage girls list Paul Giamatti as the most attractive American celebrity. "And it's easy to see why. Sweaty, forty-something Caucasians represent the epitome of mystery and wonder to Asian teens."

Added Yasuhara, "Plus, how can anyone resist those enormous, chafed thighs?"

Drawn by her curiosity, Nakajima has scheduled a vacation to St. Louis for early March. The trip—which falls on her 18th birthday—reportedly coincides with the American Society of Actuaries' annual convention, a four-day event during which Nakajima hopes to be seduced by "the heavyset man of [her] dreams."[/quote]

Don't steam up IP, it's just the Onion. :P

[quote name='GdMisfits' post='1681956' date='Feb 10 2009, 16.52']so if im attracted to asian girls and, i liked Howl's Moving Castle it means im a racist? i never knew...[/quote]

/sigh

:bang:

Archived