College Basketball

RedEyedGhost

[quote name='Rhom' post='1721197' date='Mar 16 2009, 13.12']I printed a blank bracket and wrote down all the mascots for the teams on it... tonight, I will sit down with my girlfriend's five year old daughter and get her to pick an entire bracket. I want to see how bad she beats me!

:rofl:[/quote]

It would almost be worth it for you to plug that into the board's pool, but I think everybody would be pretty pissed losing to a 5 year old :lol:

[quote name='Triskele' post='1721214' date='Mar 16 2009, 15.19']What are the actual odds that UK will fire Gillespie? I get the feeling that it has been a bad hire so far but I would think one more year could be in order.[/quote]

I think slim to none.

Next year he has Daniel Orton, John Hood, and GJ Villarino coming in and most seem to think that AJ Stewart and DeAndre Liggins will be sent packing. Other rumors are that Patrick Patterson and Jodie Meeks will test the NBA waters, but will be likely to return. If all that happens and the team [i]still[/i] fails to produce, then I think Gillispie is gone after year three.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1721196' date='Mar 16 2009, 15.11']WVU -> MSU -> Louisville is an extremely tough road for such a young team. If WVU is hot from 3 in the first half, then we won't make it out of the first weekend.[/quote]

Thats a big 'if' though. WVU is really young and therefore inconsistent. We've been hot the last few weeks, which is great, but I wouldnt be shocked at a sloppy game. Dayton has beaten a few good teams this year too, so no gimmies. We're also getting a little bit of love from sports writers right now, which is usually our cue to blow it.

That said, when we're on I think we could potentially beat anybody. Thats what makes picking so hard. Its like 'well, if we beat Kansas then why couldnt we beat Michigan State?' Then, 'If we beat MSU, then we've already played Louisville close twice this season, Huggins would be tough to beat a third time... maybe we could take them out too!' Next thing you know I've got WVU in the Final Four. :lol:

Its hard to strike a good balance between homerism and reality. Last year I played it too safe and not picking WVU to beat Duke actually cost me the win in one of my brackets. But I have to be careful not to over-compensate. :P

[quote name='Rhom' post='1721282' date='Mar 16 2009, 14.02']I think slim to none.

Next year he has Daniel Orton, John Hood, and GJ Villarino coming in and most seem to think that AJ Stewart and DeAndre Liggins will be sent packing. Other rumors are that Patrick Patterson and Jodie Meeks will test the NBA waters, but will be likely to return. If all that happens and the team [i]still[/i] fails to produce, then I think Gillispie is gone after year three.[/quote]

Hopefully Meeks AND Patterson come back, but this years draft is so weak on big men that I can see Patterson staying in (and I have no hope that Aldrich will be back next year for us, he's lottery this year whereas next year's draft looks deeper and he could actually slip if he comes back).

What's the scholly situation that 2 two players would be shown the door? I do think it would be foolish to give up on Liggins so early, but if he's having academic troubles it may be worth getting a less talented player that is in risk of missing semesters (and somebody that can grasp the game and Billy's O and D schemes).

[quote name='S John' post='1721316' date='Mar 16 2009, 14.33']That said, when we're on I think we could potentially beat anybody.[/quote]

KU is exactly the same way. When we're rolling, we're [i]scary[/i] good. When we're not clicking... we lose to UMass and Texas Tech.

[quote]Its hard to strike a good balance between homerism and reality. Last year I played it too safe and not picking WVU to beat Duke actually cost me the win in one of my brackets. But I have to be careful not to over-compensate. :P[/quote]

I know we [i]can[/i] beat anybody, but I don't believe we can string that many good games together.

Oddly enough that makes this the most stress free tournament I've had in awhile now. The past 7 years expectations have been so high, that a final four or championship was expected. I'm still on cloud nine from last year, so as long as we don't choke in the first round, everything else is gravy.

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1721318' date='Mar 16 2009, 16.35']What's the scholly situation that 2 two players would be shown the door? I do think it would be foolish to give up on Liggins so early, but if he's having academic troubles it may be worth getting a less talented player that is in risk of missing semesters (and somebody that can grasp the game and Billy's O and D schemes).[/quote]

Well... we have three freshmen coming in and one senior graduating. Late last year, Gillispie signed a guy named Donald Williams to a scholarship who never got on the court once. The rumor is that the agreement was for one year. So that leaves us still needing to "find" one more scholarship. Most of the year, the assumption was that it was likely to be AJ Stewart.

As the year took a major nosedive and rumors of inner turmoil amongst the team dynamic started to come to the surface, a disgruntled DeAndre Liggins and a beligerant AJ Stewart are the two names that come up the most in less-than-polite conversation about the state of the team. This is why most pundits think they may be gone.

Gillispie is continuing to recruit other players and may run off some others in an effort to pursue that ever elusive "team chemistry."

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1721322' date='Mar 16 2009, 16.41']Oddly enough that makes this the most stress free tournament I've had in awhile now. The past 7 years expectations have been so high, that a final four or championship was expected. I'm still on cloud nine from last year, so as long as we don't choke in the first round, everything else is gravy.[/quote]

Hey, in 1996 Kentucky lost Tony Delk, Walter McCarty, Jared Prickett, and Antoine Walker. In 1997, we were riding high on the backs of Ron Mercer and Derek Anderson until a blown knee ligament sidelined Anderson. We were [i]far[/i] from the most talented team that year (not to rub salt in the wound... but that would be Kansas ;) ) but we made a run to the national title game before being upset by Bibby and Simon's Arizona team. I think Kansas has more gas in the tank than most people give them credit for... and if you'll recall, I've been saying so since before the season started.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1721339' date='Mar 16 2009, 17.00']Don't forget Wayne Turner. I loved that guy.[/quote]

Oh I'm not forgetting the Turner Burner. I was also in love. You'd be hard pressed to find someone as quick as him on the court. He was the "Y" in Kentucky during a timeout of one of the games I went to this year and the crowd went nuts.

The [url="http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2009/03/16/usbwa-names-meeks-second-team-all-american/"]USBWA has released their AA teams.[/url] Its some serious BS in my book. Jodie Meeks made second team which is certainly well deserved... but where the hell is Ty Lawson on that list? The ACC player of the year gets left off but St. Tyler the Anointed One rides his hype machine all the way to first team?!!? Bologna.

:bs:

[quote name='RedEyedGhost' post='1721322' date='Mar 16 2009, 16.41']so as long as we don't choke in the first round, everything else is gravy.[/quote]

Yea, I kinda feel the same way. As long as we beat Dayton I'll feel pretty good about this year. With such a young team we've had a good year, wouldn't be any shame in losing to the defending champ. We've already exceeded expectations and next year looks pretty bright.

[quote name='Rhom' post='1721338' date='Mar 16 2009, 14.58']Well... we have three freshmen coming in and one senior graduating. Late last year, Gillispie signed a guy named Donald Williams to a scholarship who never got on the court once. The rumor is that the agreement was for one year. So that leaves us still needing to "find" one more scholarship. Most of the year, the assumption was that it was likely to be AJ Stewart.

As the year took a major nosedive and rumors of inner turmoil amongst the team dynamic started to come to the surface, a disgruntled DeAndre Liggins and a beligerant AJ Stewart are the two names that come up the most in less-than-polite conversation about the state of the team. This is why most pundits think they may be gone.

Gillispie is continuing to recruit other players and may run off some others in an effort to pursue that ever elusive "team chemistry."[/quote]

If Lance Stephenson decides to come to KU, and Sherron and Cole both magically end up staying we're going to need to "find" a scholarship as well. The speculation on the net is that Tyrone Appleton is a "weird dude" and "doesn't fit in with the rest of the team", and that he would end up transferring. I would feel awful if this happened without it being completely his idea. He's a juco transfer, and would has to sit out for a season before playing his final season. If Tyshawn Taylor hadn't become available, then Tyrone would have seen decent playing time this year, but that's the reality of playing at KU. Another possibility is that Brady Morningstar's dad pays his way (he'd be in-state tuition, and Roger is loaded). I'm not psyched about this possibility either, because Brady is a starter this year, and to have to pay his own way for a player that is being recruited over him... that's just wrong.

I'd love to have Stephenson join our team, but I'd much rather Sherron and Cole come back (Sherron's probably 40-60, Cole 5-95). I'm not too confident about either coming back though. Sherron will definitely test the waters, and I'm sure he'll be matched up with Lawson for individual workouts. Every time Lawson and Collins have gone head-to-head it has not ended well for Lawson, so I'm pretty sure Collins can be a first rounder this year too.

[quote]Hey, in 1996 Kentucky lost Tony Delk, Walter McCarty, Jared Prickett, and Antoine Walker. In 1997, we were riding high on the backs of Ron Mercer and Derek Anderson until a blown knee ligament sidelined Anderson. We were [i]far[/i] from the most talented team that year (not to rub salt in the wound... but that would be Kansas ;) ) but we made a run to the national title game before being upset by Bibby and Simon's Arizona team. I think Kansas has more gas in the tank than most people give them credit for... and if you'll recall, I've been saying so since before the season started.[/quote]

I know all about that Arizona team too :tantrum:

Bad news REG... the 5 year old girl has Kansas losing to North Dakota St. But SJohn... you're in good shape, her daddy lives in Virginia which was enough to get WVU a pass for a couple of rounds. :lol:

Honestly, her bracket is scary good with potential upsets other than the minor fact that she has Stephen F. Austin winning the whole thing. :stunned:

Honestly, if I were to take her Austin over Oklahoma game and run with Oklahoma the rest of the way... I actually would like her bracket as a potential threat to do better than mine.

I'm not too worried about the NDSU game, but it will be a classic example of experience versus young talent.

Five years ago they knew there was a possibility of becoming D1, so their four freshmen decided to redshirt on the possibility of dancing. They start four fifth year seniors and one sophomore.

As I've mentioned several times, KU is the 11th youngest D1 team.

This should be one of the most interesting games of the first round, but we may come out ready to play and embarrass them royally.

[quote name='Rhom' post='1721752' date='Mar 16 2009, 20.33']Bad news REG... the 5 year old girl has Kansas losing to North Dakota St. But SJohn... you're in good shape, her daddy lives in Virginia which was enough to get WVU a pass for a couple of rounds. :lol:

Honestly, her bracket is scary good with potential upsets other than the minor fact that she has Stephen F. Austin winning the whole thing. :stunned:

Honestly, if I were to take her Austin over Oklahoma game and run with Oklahoma the rest of the way... I actually would like her bracket as a potential threat to do better than mine.[/quote]

You should have shown her [url="http://www.ku.edu/about/traditions/jayhawk.shtml"]the badass 1941 Jayhawk[/url]. No way she would have picked a silly bison of that.

[quote name='Rhom' post='1721752' date='Mar 16 2009, 22.33']Bad news REG... the 5 year old girl has Kansas losing to North Dakota St. But SJohn... you're in good shape, her daddy lives in Virginia which was enough to get WVU a pass for a couple of rounds. :lol:[/quote]

Sweet, I like this kid.

[quote]You should have shown her the badass 1941 Jayhawk. No way she would have picked a silly bison of that.[/quote]

:lol: I didnt know the Jayhawk could be so frightening, '41 and '29 look like deadly Raptors or something. Personally, I would take the 1912 version as a mascot in heartbeat.

[quote name='Rhom' post='1721752' date='Mar 16 2009, 22.33']Bad news REG... the 5 year old girl has Kansas losing to North Dakota St. But SJohn... you're in good shape, her daddy lives in Virginia which was enough to get WVU a pass for a couple of rounds. :lol:

Honestly, if I were to take her Austin over Oklahoma game and run with Oklahoma the rest of the way... I actually would like her bracket as a potential threat to do better than mine.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure that when I was 5, I also would have liked a team named Stephen F. Austin.

So, you guys who know something about college basketball because I don't, does North Dakota State have any chance vs. Kansas? I ask because I'm from ND and I find it sort of interesting that NDSU is even in the Tournament. Also, this is their first year of eligibility for the post season after making the jump from Div II.

[quote name='Prince of the North' post='1722789' date='Mar 17 2009, 17.35']So, you guys who know something about college basketball because I don't, does North Dakota State have any chance vs. Kansas? I ask because I'm from ND and I find it sort of interesting that NDSU is even in the Tournament. Also, this is their first year of eligibility for the post season after making the jump from Div II.[/quote]

There's always a [i]chance[/i]. In years past, Kansas was known to have early round slip ups... that hasn't been the case recently. As REG said above, it sounds like NDSU is a very experienced team and Kansas is young this year. That does bode well, but there is obviously a steep talent divide to overcome.

Watch the game and you never know what might happen! That's the beauty of March Madness!

[quote name='Rhom' post='1722824' date='Mar 17 2009, 17.59']There's always a [i]chance[/i]. In years past, Kansas was known to have early round slip ups... that hasn't been the case recently. As REG said above, it sounds like NDSU is a very experienced team and Kansas is young this year. That does bode well, but there is obviously a steep talent divide to overcome.

Watch the game and you never know what might happen! That's the beauty of March Madness![/quote]

Well if they beat Kansas then they'll likely play a similarly young team in Round 2, the Mountaineers. (crossing my fingers that we at least beat Dayton)

Would be a helluva feat to beat Self and Huggins back to back, but starting four 5th years is pretty stacked. It looks like they have the potential to cause trouble for just about anybody. At least on paper, I have not seen them play.

For the first time ever, I watched an NIT game from tip-off to final buzzer last night. :(

One thing I will say is that watching the game being played in Memorial Colliseum was pretty cool. The history just oozes off that place. Billy Gillispie even wore a brown suit. (Rupp was famous for always coaching in a brown suit.) ESPN put up a graphic, Kentucky was 308-38 all time in MC. Wow. There was one shot that they panned to every time they went to break that showed Kentucky's gigantic national title banners and every year they won the SEC among other things. It was a nice shot. The crowd was so loud, I had trouble understanding the announcers from time to time. Dykes even commented on it at one point when he said "This isn't your typical Rupp Arena crowd, these people all waited in line for these tickets." Additionally, the place was sold out... I flipped over to the Notre Dame v. UAB game a couple of times and there were empty seats galore.

Historical significance aside, if you watched the game last night you saw [i]both[/i] Kentucky teams. Early in the second half we saw the team that took Louisville to the buzzer and won their first 5 SEC games to climb back into the national rankings take a 20 point lead. Late in the second half, we saw the team that finished the year 4-9 allow UNLV to close to within 3. Its that inconsistency that has fans infuriated. If we had just played some level of consistency between those two levels of performance, we'd be in the tournament this year.

Ah well. That's the way things have shaken out. Up next is the winner of Creighton and Bowling Green.

Billy Gillispie may have just lined up the final nail in his coffin...

Kentucky just received a [url="http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/2009/03/tucker-commits-to-uk.html"]commitment from JUCO transfer Konner Tucker.[/url] Essentially, to my eye, he looks like another Michael Porter for our team. Slow of foot. Not athletic enough for a major D1 school. Supposedly a solid outside shooter. I also think we have two of him on the team already... their names are Landon Slone and Mark Krebs and they are both walk-ons.

Why is this troubling to me you might ask? 1) Our major issue all year has been lead guard play. This certainly does nothing to address that gap in my book. 2) I mentioned our scholarship situation earlier in the thread. Signing this JUCO player tells me that at least three players currently on scholarship will be leaving the program.

If this pans out, Gillispie will have a reprieve. If he turns out to be another athletically challenged white kid unable to create his own shot or set up his teammates for better shots, it will be more proof that he's in over his head. Many fans feel that Gillispie is driving his new Mercedes Benz like its a Toyota Corolla. In other words... he's recruiting in Lexington as if he was still in El Paso. We are the winningest program in college hoops, we shouldn't be relying on transfers from Hampton College or the JUCO ranks to bolster our roster.

What's the guys JUCO ranking Rhom? That link doesn't give too much info on him, but he is listed as a point guard. Don't you want a pg that can shoot it from deep? And most pgs don't need to setup their own shot, how is he at setting up others?

We're looking pretty good with Lance Stephenson. [url="http://www.zagsblog.com/2009/03/18/lance-stephenson-has-decided/#more-13643"]He's already decided between us, St. Johns, and Maryland[/url] (and yesterday he said his leaders were KU and St. Johns). These are the quotes that make me feel good about our chances:

[quote]Asked why he didn’t just announce right then, Stephenson smiled and said, “It’s not the right place.”[/quote]

This was asked at MSG where he is playing in the PSAL championship tournament. If he were going to St. Johns wouldn't announce it at MSG be the perfect place?

[quote]Kansas assistant Danny Manning has been recruiting Stephenson for the Jayhawks, and Stephenson said he has a lot of respect for the former No. 1 draft pick.

“Danny Manning, I look up to him a lot,” Stephenson said. “He’s a great player and a great assistant coach so I think he’s good.”[/quote]

Danny visited him a week ago, and he decided a week ago... sounds good to me (of course St. Johns HC Norm Roberts was there at the same time Danny was).

[quote name='Prince of the North' post='1722789' date='Mar 17 2009, 15.35']So, you guys who know something about college basketball because I don't, does North Dakota State have any chance vs. Kansas? I ask because I'm from ND and I find it sort of interesting that NDSU is even in the Tournament. Also, this is their first year of eligibility for the post season after making the jump from Div II.[/quote]

I'm not too worried about NSDU. They're 26-6 against the 204th - Kenpom/290th - RPI SOS and their best win is against Oral Roberts in kenpom's rankings at #87, and Oakland in the RPI at #122. KU is 11 in kenpom's rankings and the RPI. KU is 25-7 against the 44th - Kenpom/20th - RPI SOS. Basically we have very similar records, but the competition we've faced isn't even comparable.

It should be an old fashion beat down, but experience is huge in the tournament. NDSU has loads of experience in their starting five, and we're the 11th youngest team in the NCAAs. However, they don't have the experience playing somebody as good as us.

Is it Friday yet?????

Archived