Stego's Reading List of SFF

Stego

I love the book.

This isn't a list of the best SFF ever written, just the ones I recommend you read. And I don't much recommend Pynchon. You can handle Pynchon. Martha and Doug can handle it. Julie and Ness and Fee. But most of these yokels? Come on. Bronn reads this forum, for fucks sake.

Doc Smith is hard to read these days. And sorry, Mike, Burroughs was never my thing. Try not to hate me too much.

Yeah, he's absent. I'm sorry. :(

He made it to 105 or something.

Thing about Howard is, though he can write just about the most rousing combat sequences ever, he can get incredibly boring between them. And his lack of message hurt him.

[u]Anubis Gate[/u] by Tim Powers was ok. I think that my expectations were built too high for the book. I then found it entirely too predictable. I don't believe any of the twists caught me by surprise. But I will say it was better than [u]Expiration Date[/u].

Is Ward Moore anywhere on your other lists?

I applaud your choice of [u]legend[/u], I have reread that book several times. It is a good epic fantasy.

I thought the novel [u]Footfall[/u] by Niven and Pournelle is worth mentioning. There is a meeting between government scientists and science fiction writers that is presentient. Two years ago SF writers were brought in to discuss their thoughts on terrorism.

I am not sure if I like [u]City[/u] or [u]Waystation[/u] better by Simak.

I ask for your 100 favorite authors and their single best work, in your opinion.

Edit: clerical error

Think its worth remembering that this is a list of recommendations, not some sort of definitive ranking. So don't be offended if your favourite book/author isn't on there. :)

[quote name='Zach H' post='1697908' date='Feb 24 2009, 10.15']Love the inclusion of [i]The Wizard Knight[/i]. It's one of the Wolfe works that doesn't seem to get the attention of some of his other stuff, but for me it's right up there with the best pieces of fiction I've ever read.[/quote]

^ What He said. The Wizard Knight was one of the most captivating experiences I have ever experienced between the covers of a book.

[quote name='Ghost of Nymeria' post='1697904' date='Feb 24 2009, 10.14']Think its worth remembering that this is a list of recommendations, not some sort of definitive ranking. So don't be offended if your favourite book/author isn't on there. :)[/quote]

Don't we always reserve the right to hijack threads and be affronted by minor issues?

[quote name='Arlington Bill' post='1697938' date='Feb 24 2009, 10.34']Don't we always reserve the right to hijack threads and be affronted by minor issues?[/quote]

Yeah! Especially when Stego leaves off our favorite authors! ;)

(Otherwise the list is great in that it helps me remember some of the books I want to go back and read that I haven't yet...)

[quote name='scrahan' post='1697946' date='Feb 24 2009, 15.41']Oh and also, where's Michael Moorcock? How could you have crypto fascists like Asimov and Heinlein and plainly terrible writers like Tolkien in this list and not include anything by Moorcock?

:tantrum:[/quote]

What makes you say Heinlein is a Crypto fascist, please? I've heard this a few times, but have never understood it.

Looks like a good list, as far as I can figure. Everyone from the top of my sig is represented aside from McCaffrey, and I'm certainly not going to argue for her works (the [i]Harper Hall [/i]trilogy, primarily) based on literary merit.

One omission is [b][i]The Hobbit[/i][/b], which would be my top SFF recommendation. I think it's better than LOTR -- but I know a lot of other people see it as kiddie lit.

Speaking of kiddie lit - [i]Le Petit Prince [/i]deserves mention, though it's hard for something that short to stand on its own.

And then there's Lewis Carroll.

No love for the [i]Silmarillion[/i]? That's a better book then half the stuff on this list, including anything ever written by Arthur C. Clarke.

I would argue against the inclusion of [i]Snow Crash[/i] as well, though I suppose it is significant. The book has just never clicked with me, for whatever reason.

In what sense is Pynchon a science-fiction writer? The SF elements in [i]Gravity's Rainbow[/i] are few and far-between, and those in [i]Against the Day[/i] are mere satire. In both cases, they are secondary to the work; I think that in true SF/F, the work couldn't succeed without those elements.

Does [i]The Best of Isaac Asimov[/i] include any of his [i]Foundation[/i] works?

Who? No, I've never heard of those people. Van Gogh? WTF? Did he write fantasy?

So, Martha sent me my old list. I'm editing it as we speak. You'll find lots more works on it. But who besides Needle and I will ever read this much? I dunno. Maybe it will shut some of you up. :P

Arlington Bill, fascinating question about my 100 personally favorite authors and works. That's a completely new list.

RWHamel, Andre Norton? Top 100? Come on.

Archived