MLB Thread

Jaime L

[quote name='awesome possum' post='1756200' date='Apr 15 2009, 14.45']I can never bring myself to enjoy anything White Sox-related that is not a beat down. I lived in Skokie until I was 8 and spent the next 20 years in Detroit. If my life geographically has taught me anything, it's to loathe the White Sox.[/quote]

Amen brother :cheers: ....just add Yankees to that :wideeyed: .

My Mets are coming to realize that the 2,3,4 of Pelfrey, Perez and Maine was a retarded fucking idea. Was Minaya's thought process: [i]Let's go with a young guy coming off a season in which his inning count went up by 60, oh shit, he's now got tendinitis. Well at least we got a guy coming off Rotator-cuff and some dude who nobody else wanted yet we gave 3/36 to because Boras represents him... Maybe Johan can pitch 400 innings?[/i]
Well, there's always Livan Hernandez...

Best buyer's market for an all-bat corner outfielder ever, but do the Mets... nope
O-Hudson going for 4 million bucks, and L. Castillo's knees are so bad he basically can't walk, let alone play second base, but do the Mets...

And you ask them why didn't you go out for Sabathia, Lowe, Burnett etc and they respond with some BS. Between the lines of said bullshit you read:
[i]Madoff took all our money[/i]

And you think to yourself well that about sums up the Wilpon years.

[quote name='wolverine' post='1756195' date='Apr 15 2009, 14.42']...like Pierzynski, Albert Belle, Ozzie Guillen...[/quote]

Well, to be perfectly frank yes like Pierzynski and Ozzie (I'll be the first to admit that although Belle put up a couple of years with outstanding stats I think he was of questionable moral fortitude and I think he very likely may have been a juicer). I've always like AJ even when he wasn't on my team but I appreciate players that their teammates love...and make no mistake about it, his teammates love him. Ozzie doesn't even compare to these guys though, as a player and as a manager he may have a filthy mouth but has never otherwise behaved in ways unbecoming a major league player and growing up he was a joy to watch on the field and one of the happiest days of my White Sox fan life was the day he was announced as the Manager.

That being said, I'll combat your snide remark with some of the classiest guys to play the game like Ventura, Harold Baines, Fisk, Buerhle, and while I think he's a bit of a whiner, Frank Thomas played the game and was a hero to many kids across the country for years.

[quote name='awesome possum' post='1756200' date='Apr 15 2009, 14.45']I can never bring myself to enjoy anything White Sox-related that is not a beat down. I lived in Skokie until I was 8 and spent the next 20 years in Detroit. If my life geographically has taught me anything, it's to loathe the White Sox.[/quote]

If you lived for 20 years in Detroit you have much bigger problems than the White Sox :)

[quote name='wolverine' post='1756080' date='Apr 15 2009, 13.19']I kind of agree with the second part of your statement. Why did he approach home? If it was an accident he could just say so, but if it were on purpose then he felt the need to be an ass and back his message verbally.

By the way, talk about outfielders making you want to puke, Abreu is pretty lazy and uncoordinated to watch out there.[/quote]
In the middle of a game as a heated argument started and Abreu was yelling at him (despite supposedly being friends)...and he's supposed to put his tail between his legs, apologize, and walk to the back of the mound? We're talking about the ace on an MLB team, let alone Josh Beckett, there's a lot of ego there.

[quote name='smegma' post='1756219' date='Apr 15 2009, 14.57']I've always like AJ even when he wasn't on my team but I appreciate players that their teammates love...and make no mistake about it, his teammates love him[/quote]

Well at least when he got to his third team he found some teammates who can even stand him. The Giants gave up Liriano, Nathan, and Boof Bonser for him and kept him for a whole season. He didn't get along with teammates in Minnesota or in SF, I doubt they all love him in Chicago.

[quote name='Weekapaug' post='1756223' date='Apr 15 2009, 14.59']In the middle of a game as a heated argument started and Abreu was yelling at him (despite supposedly being friends)...and he's supposed to put his tail between his legs, apologize, and walk to the back of the mound? We're talking about the ace on an MLB team, let alone Josh Beckett, there's a lot of ego there.[/quote]

Good point if it was an accident the best way to show it is charge home yelling. Where in my statement does it say he should appologize? Stating you did not throw at him on purpose means you are appologizing with your tail between your legs? Where do you live, Testosteroneland?

I also did not say what he should have done. I was pointing out what I thought his actions indicated, that, yes he threw at him on purpose, and what is whiny Abreu going to do about it?

[quote name='wolverine' post='1756241' date='Apr 15 2009, 15.12']Good point if it was an accident the best way to show it is charge home yelling. Where in my statement does it say he should appologize? Stating you did not throw at him on purpose means you are appologizing with your tail between your legs? Where do you live, Testosteroneland?

I also did not say what he should have done. I was pointing out what I thought his actions indicated, that, yes he threw at him on purpose, and what is whiny Abreu going to do about it?[/quote]
If I make a mistake and the first reaction is someone yelling at me I'm going to be pretty fired up myself.

Also, people seem to forget there is a difference between throwing at someone and throwing inside.

[quote]Pie hasn't really sold me yet, because he's looked a little lost at times in LF so far. Bad reads and angles at times, with balls dropping in that looked playable.[/quote]

That's because, despite what Cal wants you to believe, Pie sucks. Would that the Cubs had smartened up and traded high on hiim three years ago...

[quote]That being said, I'll combat your snide remark with some of the classiest guys to play the game like Ventura, Harold Baines, Fisk, Buerhle, and while I think he's a bit of a whiner, Frank Thomas played the game and was a hero to many kids across the country for years.[/quote]

Out of that list you get Buerhle. Ventura had his moments of douchery as Fisk did. Harold Baines? Hard to be called classy when you're one of the wettest blankets to ever play the game. That's not saying he's a bad guy, just a non-entity. And Frank Thomas? Classy? :lol:

[quote name='smegma' post='1756222' date='Apr 15 2009, 11.58']If you lived for 20 years in Detroit you have much bigger problems than the White Sox :)[/quote]

Oh, you don't have to tell me that. I downgraded my job and housing situation, but they were both worth it to be out of Detroit.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1756357' date='Apr 15 2009, 17.58']That's because, despite what Cal wants you to believe, Pie sucks. Would that the Cubs had smartened up and traded high on hiim three years ago...[/quote]

Look at Pie's minor league numbers. Also look at Pie's game by game logs and you'll see that at 22 he was successful in spurts. He just needs consitant at bats and help with his approach.

[quote name='Caliban' post='1756612' date='Apr 15 2009, 21.08']Look at Pie's minor league numbers. Also look at Pie's game by game logs and you'll see that at 22 he was successful in spurts. He just needs consitant at bats and help with his approach.[/quote]

Oh please. Minor league numbers can be awesome. Doesn't mean they automatically translate to the major league level. Pie remains the classic AAAA player. :P

[quote]North Side / South Side pissing contests are hilarious.[/quote]

No. You're right. They are. :lol:

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1756634' date='Apr 15 2009, 21.17']Oh please. Minor league numbers can be awesome. Doesn't mean they automatically translate to the major league level. Pie remains the classic AAAA player. :P[/quote]

Minor League numbers are all we have to go on with Pie. He has recieved sparse and sporadic major league playing time. He has plus speed, plus plus defense, and has shown he has a plus bat at every minor league level. Pie will be a good Major Leaguer. He needs the opportunity to play consistantly.

[quote name='Caliban' post='1756658' date='Apr 15 2009, 21.30']Minor League numbers are all we have to go on with Pie. He has recieved sparse and sporadic major league playing time. He has plus speed, plus plus defense, and has shown he has a plus bat at every minor league level. Pie will be a good Major Leaguer. He needs the opportunity to play consistantly.[/quote]

Cal, if he truly had the goods, then the Cubs would have played him enough for it to shine through. And they would have done it in the lean post '03 years of Dusty. If he's that good, then the ability would have shown right away, regardless of the amount of playing time.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1756662' date='Apr 15 2009, 21.34']Cal, if he truly had the goods, then the Cubs would have played him enough for it to shine through. And they would have done it in the lean post '03 years of Dusty. If he's that good, then the ability would have shown right away, regardless of the amount of playing time.[/quote]

Pie was 19-20-21 in 04-05-06. They still believed in Corey Patterson in 04-05 and then signed Juan Pierre in 2006. 2006 was the only year he would have been old enough to concievably get playing time (he hadnt even played AAA ball yet), which we know dusty would not have done. But regardless we already had Murton Pierre and Jones (back when murton was a legit prospect).

2007 he got an abbreviated chance but we were in a division race with a massive payroll and not in a developemental mode, though i still think he should have played everyday.

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1755796' date='Apr 15 2009, 09.21'][url="http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/story/11629690"]This is the way power ranking commentary should go all year...[/url] not just after week one... :P[/quote]

Heh...all of these are pretty good.

[i]Maybe Dewayne Wise's separated shoulder has blessing-in-disguise potential. After all, it gives Brian Anderson his 24th chance to prove that he can hit like a big boy. ... The back-to-back homers hit by Paul Konerko and Jermaine Dye on Monday represented each player's 300th career round-tripper. Eerie! ... If the pitchers don't cut back on the number of walks they issue, Ozzie Guillen is totally gonna curse a lot in Spanish.[/i]

[quote]Every franchise is going to have its fair share of classy "guys". This is not an accomplishment. Kenny and Ozzie are not classy guys. Nor are they good at what they do.[/quote]

Vs. a team personified by cheats, egos, and headcases past and present? With fans that charge the field and beat up base coaches? (Yes, that father and son pair were Cub fans) Buehrle, Dye, Konerko, and Guillen as the face of the team sure as fuck beat the hell out of what the Cubs got. Boom and bust Soriano? Nutjob, I'll never be the ace they think I am Zambrano? 3+ years of endless hopes and dreams placed in the lost causes of Wood and Prior? (anyone miss the 24/7 talk radio Prior injury watch? Didn't think so) Derrek 'Where oh where did my power go?' Lee? Top 5 steroid poster child and total douche Sosa? Cubs fans defended that fucker until the last possible moment before he left, so he's still on you.

Who could forget all the excitement over that first week of Fuck You Do Me's Major League career? Had all the Cubs fans giddy til he was exposed as a bust. And good job on picking up YET ANOTHER class act in Milton Bradley. Heard he charged the press box due to mean comments in his prior job, should fit right in. Classy, hard playing guys? Hardly.

Archived