MLB Thread

Jaime L

[quote name='Whiskeyjack' post='1753148' date='Apr 12 2009, 20.23']I don't see them trading Roberts any time soon. They just signed him to a 4 year extension a month ago, and Angelos loves having him in Baltimore. And if they don't deal him in the next few years, they won't be trading him, period. Because once we hit 2012, he's got full no-trade protection.

Aside from that, I agree with you and Mack - hard to believe it, but Baltimore is an up and coming team. Their offense is already pretty good, and once Wieters is on the club, it'll get even better. The pitching might be a couple of years away, but at least they finally have some legit prospects with ace potential.[/quote]

Curious what you think of the prospects and young guys on the Blue Jays Amryc. I've been doing some reading on their farm system and wanted to know what you thought.

[quote name='Caliban' post='1753309' date='Apr 13 2009, 01.00']At the time it was a mistake, but as luck would have it the O's made a fantastic non-move, and it also happened to work out for the cubs. You ended up getting more then what was on the table for roberts anyway in Hill and Pie.[/quote]

The non-move for Roberts has worked out well in general. In 05 or 06, Angelos basically vetoed a trade that was something like Roberts and Hayden Penn (then a pitching prospect with promise) to the Braves for Marcus Giles and one of the Laroche brothers. Laroche never lived up to the hype and Giles got non-tendered at the end of that year. That would have been a terrible deal. Not for losing Penn, who never panned out. He has horrible luck. He got a short look in 06 and did OK. 07 rolls around, he's about to get his callup and he gets appendicitis the night before. 08 rolls around, he's about to get his callup and his leg is impaled by a broken bat shard.

I don't think that fans would have been crushed if we dealt Roberts before this season, recognizing that it'd be better to get some more prospects. He is a fan favorite, though. Just a likable guy, does a lot of children's charity work and stuff like that. Pretty sure MacPhail tried to deal him all offseason, didn't find any offers he liked, so figured he'd extend him. Fact is, if we dealt Roberts we would have had an embarrassing revolving door at 2B all season much like we had at SS last year. There are basically no middle infield prospects above A in the O's minors.

The merits of extending him/trading him were pretty much debated the last two offseasons. Stuff like the bottom tends to fall out from 2B guys who are speedy at 34-35, and once it goes it's gone, etc. That may prove to be true and the last year of his new contract may be a wash. But I think he'll earn it while he's still got juice in the tank.

Sad news, Harry Kalas passed out today before the Phillies/Nationals game. I do not see any reports on it yet on MLB.com or anything but according to Philadelphia news station WMMR, he has passed away.

ETA: Never mind [url="http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090413&content_id=4249036&vkey=news_phi&fext=.jsp&c_id=phi"]here[/url] is a little something on it.

[quote name='Jimmm' post='1753491' date='Apr 13 2009, 11.08']Sad news, Harry Kalas passed out today before the Phillies/Nationals game. I do not see any reports on it yet on MLB.com or anything but according to Philadelphia news station WMMR, he has passed away.

ETA: Never mind [url="http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090413&content_id=4249036&vkey=news_phi&fext=.jsp&c_id=phi"]here[/url] is a little something on it.[/quote]

That sucks, I always liked his voice on the radio. At least he got too see the Philles win it all before he died.

[quote name='Gold Storm' post='1753515' date='Apr 13 2009, 11.21']That sucks, I always liked his voice on the radio. At least he got too see the Philles win it all before he died.[/quote]
Yea, he was there for their only other one as well.

He was the voice of the Phillies my whole life, and now when I go home watching their games will never be the same.

[quote name='Jimmm' post='1753491' date='Apr 13 2009, 13.08']Sad news, Harry Kalas passed out today before the Phillies/Nationals game. I do not see any reports on it yet on MLB.com or anything but according to Philadelphia news station WMMR, he has passed away.

ETA: Never mind [url="http://philadelphia.phillies.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20090413&content_id=4249036&vkey=news_phi&fext=.jsp&c_id=phi"]here[/url] is a little something on it.[/quote]

:(
Greatest voice in sports, excepting maybe John Facenda.
Sad day.

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1753518' date='Apr 13 2009, 14.24']One of the greats. He will be missed. Never lived in Philly, but know the voice well.[/quote]

Some people just have a voice for baseball. He was one of them. I am the same as Bronn, never lived in Philly so I never heard the voice on a regular basis. But you only had to hear it a few times to know how distinct he was.

[quote name='Jimmm' post='1753491' date='Apr 13 2009, 11.08']Sad news, Harry Kalas passed out today before the Phillies/Nationals game. I do not see any reports on it yet on MLB.com or anything but according to Philadelphia news station WMMR, he has passed away.

Very sad news. One of the last really great baseball announcers.

Speaking of announcers, Vin Scully threw out the first pitch for the Opening Day ceremonies at Dodger Stadium. It was really nice to him honored, and to see the reception he got from the fans. For those of us who have grown up with the Dodgers Vin Scully is almost like a family member.

And what an Opening Day it was! We crushed the Giants 11-1! Billingsley looked like a stud (11K, 0BB), Ethier hit two HRs, and Orlando Hudson hit for the cycle, the first Dodger cycle since 1970!

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1754008' date='Apr 13 2009, 18.45']Very sad news. One of the last really great baseball announcers.

Speaking of announcers, Vin Scully threw out the first pitch for the Opening Day ceremonies at Dodger Stadium. It was really nice to him honored, and to see the reception he got from the fans. For those of us who have grown up with the Dodgers Vin Scully is almost like a family member.

And what an Opening Day it was! We crushed the Giants 11-1![/quote]
Congratulations to the bums, may they DIAF, and THANK YOU RANDY JOHNSON!!! :bang:

[quote name='Triskele' post='1754037' date='Apr 13 2009, 19.10']One of the radio guys down here doesn't even say "Giants." He just says "the hated ones."[/quote]
Every time I hear how great the Yankee/Red Sox rivalry is, I chuckle.

[quote name='EHK for Darwin' post='1754148' date='Apr 14 2009, 00.11']Who ever said great journalism is dead? [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/columns/story?columnist=greenberg_jon&id=4062352"]Good shit here.[/url][/quote]
[i]

"You like going there because it's not Wrigley Field. You hate Wrigley, even more than you hated Sosa, Mark Prior, Kerry Wood and Ronnie Woo Woo. You hate Wrigley because of what it stands for -- tourists, fake fans and stuck-up suburbanites."

'Do better than the Cubs'

"Baseball players might act like they don't need the media, don't want the media buzzing around their lockers, but when the nightly news leads with your rivals, every night, you get a South Side-sized chip on your shoulder, too."

"I think the mindset is to do better than the Cubs," you tell a reporter on Opening Day. "I think some fans are like that. Since we've won the World Series, some fans are just more focused on us."

"You are a White Sox fan and you have a chip on your shoulder, just like Kenny usually does, because the White Sox won the whole thing and brought a parade to downtown that crisp October afternoon, and more than half the city just didn't give a damn. It was as if the Red Sox won."

"But it all comes back to respect and that other team in town. The Cubs get the celebrities to come to their games and bellow out "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and gab about how great Wrigley is, and how real baseball is played on the North Side, just because that stadium has some plants on the walls, an old scoreboard with no replays and a bunch of bars flanking its expanse."

"The Sox have Obama, Daley and the late, great Bernie Mac. The Cubs have Rod Blagojevich, George Will and Jim Belushi."

"And you know that while everyone is all about the North Side nowadays..."

"One thing's for sure, only one baseball team has won it all this century in the great city of Chicago. You are a White Sox fan, and you know the score."[/i]

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1754055' date='Apr 13 2009, 19.36']Congratulations to the bums, may they [b]DIAF[/b], and THANK YOU RANDY JOHNSON!!! :bang:[/quote]
Die in a fire?

[quote name='Lord O' Bones' post='1754055' date='Apr 13 2009, 19.36']Every time I hear how great the Yankee/Red Sox rivalry is, I chuckle.[/quote]
They got nothing on us. Our rivalry spans 100+ years and an entire continent. I have to scrape the Dodger sticker off the back window of my car every time I visit my brother in Santa Cruz if I want said back window to survive the trip. I got my baby niece a little Dodger outfit for her birthday one year. My brother (Giants fan) threw the thing on the barbecue, and made me choose between eating the steak he'd cooked over the flaming Dodger uniform or going hungry.

ETA: I went hungry.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1754169' date='Apr 13 2009, 22.31']Die in a fire?[/quote]
Yes, please.

[quote]They got nothing on us. Our rivalry spans 100+ years and an entire continent. I have to scrape the Dodger sticker off the back window of my car every time I visit my brother in Santa Cruz if I want said back window to survive the trip. I got my baby niece a little Dodger outfit for her birthday one year. My brother (Giants fan) threw the thing on the barbecue, and made me choose between eating the steak he'd cooked over the flaming Dodger uniform or going hungry.

ETA: I went hungry.[/quote]
:lol: Exactly.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1754169' date='Apr 14 2009, 00.31']They got nothing on us. Our rivalry spans 100+ years and an entire continent. I have to scrape the Dodger sticker off the back window of my car every time I visit my brother in Santa Cruz if I want said back window to survive the trip. I got my baby niece a little Dodger outfit for her birthday one year. My brother (Giants fan) threw the thing on the barbecue, and made me choose between eating the steak he'd cooked over the flaming Dodger uniform or going hungry.

:lmao: I had a fun time trying to explain to my Korean co-worker why I just busted out laughing in the office. Especially because I am "working on my lesson plans."

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1754169' date='Apr 14 2009, 01.31']They got nothing on us. Our rivalry spans 100+ years and an entire continent. I have to scrape the Dodger sticker off the back window of my car every time I visit my brother in Santa Cruz if I want said back window to survive the trip. I got my baby niece a little Dodger outfit for her birthday one year. My brother (Giants fan) threw the thing on the barbecue, and made me choose between eating the steak he'd cooked over the flaming Dodger uniform or going hungry.

How did you and your brother end up rooting for different teams? Did you grow up in a border area and each of you ended up picking a different team? Or did he move when he got older and transferred his allegiance or something? That sounds pretty harsh. I mean, it's one thing if you have an ambivalent sports fan sibling and they marry into the rival team's loyalty, but when it's not dealing with in-laws I can't figure out how that one would have happened.

Especially with Dodgers-Giants being what you all say it is.

[quote name='EHK for Darwin' post='1754148' date='Apr 14 2009, 00.11']Who ever said great journalism is dead? [url="http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/columns/story?columnist=greenberg_jon&id=4062352"]Good shit here.[/url][/quote]

Shit is shit. Saying something is "good shit" doesn't improve on the fact that it is still "shit". :P

Archived