MLB Thread

Jaime L

[quote name='Jaxom 1974' post='1746100' date='Apr 5 2009, 20.49']Baseball's back. Finally! (And Mexal's probably asleep and missing this first game!) :lol:[/quote]

Oh fuck off!

ETA: With all these day games, I get to at least follow some scores today. That makes me happy.

[quote name='Myshkin' post='1747361' date='Apr 6 2009, 19.10']It's time for [color="blue"]Dodger[/color] baseball![/quote]

Maybe, Myhskin, you can tell me why Torre's batting Kemp 7th?

Glad to see the Nats are off to a great start. :thumbsdown: I swear to God, if they repeat last years performance I'm switching to the Orioles. I'm not kidding, I'll do it! I'm fairly new to the area, I feel like that's allowed.

I've been a Pirates fan my whole life. I move to a new area thinking maybe I can adopt a local team as my secondary team, and then the Nats go and out-suck the Bucs. I'm already a fan of one shitty team, you know?

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1747392' date='Apr 6 2009, 16.35']Maybe, Myhskin, you can tell me why Torre's batting Kemp 7th?[/quote]
Because the Dodgers are so awesome that they can afford to bat Kemp 7th. No, I really have no idea. He should be batting 5th, with Loney or Ethier batting 7th.

[quote name='S John' post='1747394' date='Apr 6 2009, 19.36']Glad to see the Nats are off to a great start. :thumbsdown: I swear to God, if they repeat last years performance I'm switching to the Orioles. I'm not kidding, I'll do it! I'm fairly new to the area, I feel like that's allowed.

I've been a Pirates fan my whole life. I move to a new area thinking maybe I can adopt a local team as my secondary team, and then the Nats go and out-suck the Bucs. I'm already a fan of one shitty team, you know?[/quote]

Hey! They scored 6 runs. [i]In one game.[/i] Last year that would take a good 3-4 game homestand.

And Elijah Dukes shivved hardly anyone on opening day. Granted he didn't play, but you can kinda sense he's feeling the love.

[quote name='Triskele' post='1747411' date='Apr 6 2009, 16.45']A solid start from Adam Wainwright today.[/quote]

Five walks in Five and a third is not all that solid. He kept the runs down, but it is still pretty dodgy IMO.

[quote name='Jaime L' post='1747421' date='Apr 6 2009, 19.52']Hey! They scored 6 runs. [i]In one game.[/i] Last year that would take a good 3-4 game homestand.

And Elijah Dukes shivved hardly anyone on opening day. Granted he didn't play, but you can kinda sense he's feeling the love.[/quote]

Also, I think it was rather charitable to allow that Bonafacio guy an in the park home run on his first at-bat for the Marlins. Like a nice hearty, "Welcome!" on behalf of the Washington Nationals. I say no more Mr. Nice Guy!

[quote name='Bronn Stone' post='1747426' date='Apr 6 2009, 18.54']Five walks in Five and a third is not all that solid. He kept the runs down, but it is still pretty dodgy IMO.[/quote]

Did you watch the game? He was very good for most of it. Had 6 or 7 strikeouts and only 3 walks heading into the 6th inning. Unfortunately, that's where he fell apart a bit, walking 2 more hitters.

[quote name='S John' post='1747394' date='Apr 6 2009, 19.36']Glad to see the Nats are off to a great start. :thumbsdown: I swear to God, if they repeat last years performance I'm switching to the Orioles. I'm not kidding, I'll do it! I'm fairly new to the area, I feel like that's allowed.[/quote]

Now's the time to get on board with Baltimore before anyone can accuse you of being a bandwagon fan. Right now, it's just first game euphoria and everyone still expects us to suck, and even Orioles fans when the buzz of this game fades will be expecting a nightmare.

I was at the game today (second straight Opening Day for me) and it was amazing how different it was from last year. Last year we had a kinda cold day and the game was a "sellout" but it was barely a 2/3 full stadium. This year, against the Yankees, I was expecting the usual half-and-half (or worse) Yankee fans, but the Orioles marketing department basically decided that this one game they will screw the Yankee fans - you couldn't purchase tickets in advance to this game unless it was part of a ticket package (at least 6 game plan). Standing room was sold out. There were like 48,700 people in Camden Yards. I didn't even know you could fit that many people in there. I think every seat was filled.

And 85-90% were Orioles fans. Yankee fans tried to get some shit going and got shouted down every time. As a bonus for me, two of them were cute chicks who were a row in front of me and kept standing up and giving my eye level a nice view. The relentless booing of Teixeira was incredible. I didn't even know there were so many passionate Orioles fans left in Baltimore. I think large numbers still like baseball and like the Orioles but there's just no reason to fill the stadium when the team sucks. It doesn't make you a fair weather fan, it just means there's other stuff to spend money on. When things turn around it's really going to be good.

Fuck the Yankees.

At least I know we can't go 0-162.

[quote name='Mack Kilimaro' post='1747634' date='Apr 6 2009, 19.55']At least I know we can't go 0-162.[/quote]

I know, right! I mean, I know we beat the Tigers (and there was nearly a riot, too, which is almost funny but mainly just sad), but it kinda feels like this season is a victory already. 1.000 winning percentage!

[quote name='Whiskeyjack' post='1747596' date='Apr 6 2009, 21.29']Did you watch the game? He was very good for most of it. Had 6 or 7 strikeouts and only 3 walks heading into the 6th inning. Unfortunately, that's where he fell apart a bit, walking 2 more hitters.[/quote]

Besides it's the Cardinals new closer who seems to be more of an issue... :P

Twins got clobbered. By Seattle. And Ken Griffey Jr's ghost came around and knocked one out of the park. Against the guy that is supposed to be our "ace," Liriano.

I want to say this doesn't bode well. But I just can't make myself worry. 161 more games.

Toronto doesn't have the starting pitching depth to win the East, but I do believe their play will decide who wins and loses the division. Last season they had a .500 record against both Boston and NY, and did fairly well against Tampa. They have the lineup to take away some wins from those teams if their starters (other than Halladay) manage to do okay.

Archived