The NFL Thread

Trystane

Admit it, you're just laying the groundwork to jump on the Niners bandwagon when they're really good in a few seasons! Admit it!!!!!

Mostly I think there's a 25% chance of me moving to the Bay Area in the next few years so I want the transition to be smooth if I do. ;)

My secondary NFL allegiance is the Niners, so maybe I drive up their Asshole Quotient a point or two. ;)

But no, in general, Niner fans here (and I admit I'm biased) are pretty cool. Effete chardonnay-sipping liberals, of course, but cool people. :P

god damn it. I'm a vodka swigging or cabernet loving liberal. stop giving us a bad name.

and I am not effete.. perhaps that was my "raider training" as a teen. lol

I used to like the 49'ers before they took Alex Smith over Aaron Rodgers. How can anyone be this fucking shit stupid? Do you want the system guy who has no arm or the rocket-armed bad ass who completed 23 straight passes at USC in the prime of their hey day?

I preferred Rodgers over Smith that year too. Partially just because of my fondness for Cal. But really what I wanted them to do that year was take Braylon Edwards and then hold out for Matt Leinart the next year.

There's no guarantee that Rodgers would have done any better in that mess in SF, though. Too many different OCs over the years, a shitty line, and no receivers would have been a challenge for Peyton Manning coming out of college. Rodgers has had the luxury of a decent line and good receivers in Green Bay.

In other news, Lil' Triscuit got a phone call to go work out with the Bills. He's staying on the radar.

Gogogogogogogogogogo!

:)

There's no guarantee that Rodgers would have done any better in that mess in SF, though. Too many different OCs over the years, a shitty line, and no receivers would have been a challenge for Peyton Manning coming out of college. Rodgers has had the luxury of a decent line and good receivers in Green Bay.

I agree 100%. The 49ers at that time were in no position to draft and develop a QB... I liked Smith over Rodgers at the time, but honestly, I think if I were a Rodgers fan I'd thank the 49ers for not taking him and screwing up his career. People forget, but the 49ers back in 2004 and 2005 weren't just mediocre, or bad, they were Detroit Lions bad. Hell, I think if the Lions of last year and the 2004 Niners had played one another, the Lions would've won and it wouldn't have even been CLOSE. That was far and away the least talented NFL team I have ever seen in my life.

I have this weird feeling in my chest. Is this hope?

AT THE RISK of jumping to conclusions, the 49ers look way closer to being a contender than the Raiders after visiting their practices this week.

Here is what stands out from Friday's visit to 49ers minicamp and Wednesday's trip to the Raiders' offseason training activity:

* * * 49ers observations * * *

-- 49ers coach Mike Singletary is the best thing going, if not in the entire NFL, then at least when it comes to the Bay Area's two teams. When he wasn't demanding his players line up correctly for an end-of-practice sprint (he made them start over when some started prematurely), he was giving Frank Gore pointers afterward on blitz pick-up technique. His end-of-practice speeches should be a daily YouTube feature.

I hope that Singletary is the real deal. Hope it's not all just theatrics in the end.

I hope that Singletary is the real deal. Hope it's not all just theatrics in the end.

I have little doubt, that if Mike Singletary fails, it's on his squad. And he will succeed somewhere else. But that's not going to happen.

I have this weird feeling in my chest. Is this hope?

-- 49ers coach Mike Singletary is the best thing going, if not in the entire NFL, then at least when it comes to the Bay Area's two teams. When he wasn't demanding his players line up correctly for an end-of-practice sprint (he made them start over when some started prematurely), he was giving Frank Gore pointers afterward on blitz pick-up technique. His end-of-practice speeches should be a daily YouTube feature.

This is not a difficult accomplishment...

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, just so everyone knows, the Bengals are making the playoffs. Chad Ochocinco said so. And we know he always tells the truth.

Though to be fair, from everything I've read, he came into training camp in amazing shape and has been nigh on impossible to cover. If Palmer stays healthy and the Bengals running game can average over 4 ypc with Benson then they'll make the playoffs. That defense is going to be good.

By the way, just so everyone knows, the Bengals are making the playoffs. Chad Ochocinco said so. And we know he always tells the truth.

And he's also vowed to get his shit together after getting chewed out by...Denzel Washington. No, I'm not kidding.

It's straight outta Remember the Titans:

Coach Boone: You're smiling.

Ocho Cinco: Yes.

Coach Boone: Yes, sir. Why are you smiling?

Ocho Cinco: 'Cause I love football. Football is fun.

Coach Boone: Fun, sir? It's fun?

Coach Boone: You sure?

Ocho Cinco: I think...

Coach Boone: Now you're thinkin'. First you smile, then you thinkin'. You think football is still fun?

Ocho Cinco: Uh, yes.

Coach Boone: Sir.

Ocho Cinco: Yes- no, sir.

Coach Boone: No?

Ocho Cinco: Um, it was fun.

Coach Boone: Not anymore though, is it? *Is* it?

Ocho Cinco: Not right now, no.

Coach Boone: No, it's not fun anymore. Not even a little bit.

Ocho Cinco: Uh... no.

Fuck, in light of this story, I'm convinced Denzel would win 10 games as a first year coach with any team. I mean, I believed it before, but now there's no question.

Though to be fair, from everything I've read, he came into training camp in amazing shape and has been nigh on impossible to cover. If Palmer stays healthy and the Bengals running game can average over 4 ypc with Benson then they'll make the playoffs. That defense is going to be good.

Bengals defense looks feisty and you have to think Carson Palmer will make a ton of difference in that offense. But there's still too many question marks that need to be answered, beyond the running game, to say they'll be in the playoffs if they average over 4 yards per. The O-line is a questionmark, Palmer's coming back after an injury and no Houshmandzadeh. Ocho Cinco also has to now prove he's the same guy he was a couple years ago. Even if all that gets answered, there'll be big time competition for those Wildcards. You got the Patriots, Steelers, Colts and Chargers all favored to win their divisions as usual. And then throw into the mix the Ravens, Titans, Jaguars, Dolphins. Bengals are one of the more intriguing dark horse picks out there, but they got a lot they need to show me.

And he's also vowed to get his shit together after getting chewed out by...Denzel Washington. No, I'm not kidding.

It's straight outta Remember the Titans:

Coach Boone: You're smiling.

Coach Boone: Yes, sir. Why are you smiling?

Ocho Cinco: 'Cause I love football. Football is fun.

Coach Boone: Fun, sir? It's fun?

Coach Boone: You sure?

Ocho Cinco: I think...

Coach Boone: Now you're thinkin'. First you smile, then you thinkin'. You think football is still fun?

Ocho Cinco: Uh, yes.

Coach Boone: Sir.

Ocho Cinco: Yes- no, sir.

Coach Boone: No?

Ocho Cinco: Um, it was fun.

Coach Boone: Not anymore though, is it? *Is* it?

Ocho Cinco: Not right now, no.

Coach Boone: No, it's not fun anymore. Not even a little bit.

Ocho Cinco: Uh... no.

Fuck, in light of this story, I'm convinced Denzel would win 10 games as a first year coach with any team. I mean, I believed it before, but now there's no question.

:lol: I remember reading that story. It was brilliant. And that scene was great. Too funny.

Bengals defense looks feisty and you have to think Carson Palmer will make a ton of difference in that offense. But there's still too many question marks that need to be answered, beyond the running game, to say they'll be in the playoffs if they average over 4 yards per. The O-line is a questionmark, Palmer's coming back after an injury and no Houshmandzadeh. Ocho Cinco also has to now prove he's the same guy he was a couple years ago. Even if all that gets answered, there'll be big time competition for those Wildcards. You got the Patriots, Steelers, Colts and Chargers all favored to win their divisions as usual. And then throw into the mix the Ravens, Titans, Jaguars, Dolphins. Bengals are one of the more intriguing dark horse picks out there, but they got a lot they need to show me.

I hear you. There are a ton of question marks still. I recognize that. I'm optimistic they'll be sorted but here are just a few:

- Can the Bengals defense get pressure on opposing QBs by adding Maluaga, Tank Johnson, Michael Johnson?

- Will Rivers, Maluaga, Roy Williams make a difference in stopping the run? If so, how much?

- Will Chad return to the Chad of old?

- Can Cedric Benson carry the load?

- Will the offensive line be able to protect Palmer AND open up running lanes given that Andre Smith is a rookie, Whitworth is now left tackle and we have a center in Kyle Cook who has never started before

- Will Coles be a good replacement for Housh? Will Caldwell and Simpson take the next step forward in their 2nd years? Will Henry stay out of trouble enough to be an impact player?

Tons of questions, but ones that I can argue positively about. However, that doesn't mean any of them will happen the way I argue it.

Archived