The NFL Thread

Trystane

A lot of people are saying that. What bothers me are some of the comments (from men, of course) calling this woman a whore and a bitch and all kinds of derogatory things. A woman may have been raped and that's what she gets? Like she deserved it or was asking for it somehow? No wonder she didn't report it if it happened--look at the reaction.

Of course you'll get that. People are idiots.

There aren't many facts out about this case, definitely not enough to give anything more than an opinion. But what facts are there do not look good for the accuser.

By the way - civil suits in rape cases are often very common, because they do not require the massive evidence a criminal case often does.

Actually, they're not really that common. Well, I suppose that could depend on your definition of common, but I would be stunned to hear that there is even ONE civil lawsuit for a rape allegation for every 10 criminal charges that are filed.

First, most people are, for all practical purposes, judgment proof. Or close enough to it. Most rape defendants that are facing charges are even more likely to be judgment proof than the average Joe. Of course, professional athletes are generally anything but judgement proof, quite the opposite actually, and so they're much more susceptible to these types of lawsuits.

Second, an alleged victim who files a civil suit against someone has little chance of keeping one's name a secret. God knows how many google hits Big Ben's accuser has just within a few days.

Uh-oh. People are starting to fling around those race cards they keep handy. Apparently, ESPN isn't covering the Ben civil case due to skin pigmentation... even though they've covered civil cases in the past involving minority players.

This is looking to be quite the shitstorm.

By more common, I meant simply that it happens more often than say a civil suit for damages in a robbery or assault would. Sorry I said 'very' - it's not like 9 out of 10 people are in a civil suit for rape. My bad.

I don't think it's the race card. Their agenda is that Ben Roethlisberger's reality show is ON AB-FRIGGING-C.

This reminds me what former ESPN chicago radio host Dan MacNeil said about them; they could not saying ANYTHING negative about the World Baseball Classic on air. They faced suspension if they did. Naturally the WBC was aired on ESPN.

Hello everyone. Despite not knowing much about American Football, I signed up for Fantasy Football on Yahoo! because the game seems pretty interesting. It appears like our league has autodrafted now, and I need you knowledgable people to give me clues to what's right and wrong about my lineup:

QB - Chad Pennington (Mia), J.T. O'Sullivan (Cin)

WR - Greg Jennings (GB), DeSean Jackson (Phi), Derrick Mason (Bal)

RB - LaDainian Tomlinson (SD), Reggie Bush (NO)

TE - Kevin Boss (NYG)

W/T - Chris Chambers (SD)

W/R - Willie Parker (Pit)

W/R/T - Antwaan Randle El (Was)

Q/W/R/T - Bobby Wade (Min)

BN - Kevin Faulk (NE)

K - Jason Elam (Atl)

BN - Jason Hanson (Det)

DEF - Chicago

D - Will Blackmon (GB)

DB - Donte Nicholson (TB)

DL - Dre Moore (TB)

LB - Paul Posluszny (Buf)

DT - Jason Shirley (Cin)

DE - Jake Ingram (NE)

S - Michael Hamlin (Dal)

CB -- empty

BN - Marques Murrell (NYJ)

Tomlinson and Jennings were the players that I got in the first two rounds.

Does Derrick Mason have a serious injury?

Hello everyone. Despite not knowing much about American Football, I signed up for Fantasy Football on Yahoo! because the game seems pretty interesting. It appears like our league has autodrafted now, and I need you knowledgable people to give me clues to what's right and wrong about my lineup:

QB - Chad Pennington (Mia), J.T. O'Sullivan (Cin)

WR - Greg Jennings (GB), DeSean Jackson (Phi), Derrick Mason (Bal)

RB - LaDainian Tomlinson (SD), Reggie Bush (NO)

TE - Kevin Boss (NYG)

W/T - Chris Chambers (SD)

W/R - Willie Parker (Pit)

W/R/T - Antwaan Randle El (Was)

Q/W/R/T - Bobby Wade (Min)

BN - Kevin Faulk (NE)

K - Jason Elam (Atl)

BN - Jason Hanson (Det)

DEF - Chicago

D - Will Blackmon (GB)

DL - Dre Moore (TB)

DT - Jason Shirley (Cin)

DE - Jake Ingram (NE)

S - Michael Hamlin (Dal)

CB -- empty

Tomlinson and Jennings were the players that I got in the first two rounds.

Does Derrick Mason have a serious injury?

I've never played in a league with named defensive players, so I'll ignore those.

JT O'Sullivan has no value -- He won't play unless Carson Palmer is decapitated.

Mason "retired" he might still play, it seems like a ploy, but for fantasy he under performs as the ravens pass offense is "mediocre".

It looks like you got all the guys that other people in your league "pushed down" relative to how yahoo rates them. Chambers, Wade, Faulk have limited value.

Its hard to get to critical on an autodraft without knowing exactly how the league is set up.

First drafts can be rough. It's very tough to come in fresh and have an instant sense of value. This team will likely have a tough time competing. Looks like every guy was drafted one slot above where he should go (i.e. your first RB should be your second RB, your second WR should be third) and some guys probably shouldn't have been drafted. Though I don't know a single first effort that wouldn't.

LT was the consensus #1 pick in Fantasy Football for years, but was horrible last season and when RBs ability starts to go they tend to go quickly. It's possible he's in for a bounce back season this year, but it's a big risk. Pennington is a solid, veteran starter in the NFL but for fantasy purposes he's below average. Wade, Randle El and Faulk probably shouldn't be starting on a Fantasy Team. I think Mason retired.

I think the upside hope comes from Jennings, who is a very good receiver, and Jackson offers the potential of a second year guy coming into his own. Chambers has good TD potential on the Chargers.

I've never played with defensive players either, but all those guys look like fill-in type players and some of 'em look like non-starters. None would seem to be difference makers for individual stat categories like sacks and interceptions.

The silver lining is it's still fun to see how they all do this season. Find you grow attachments to those first guys you pick and when Greg Jennings is streaking for an 80 yard TD this season, will be glorious to watch.

Bizarre. Never been in a league that drafted defensive players. Would probably make my head spin.

Anyhow, your QB and WR position are weak as a group. Jennings will do great for you though. Your RB group is a fairly good group as long as they stay healthy.

Though if it were me, Id cry if I had that team. ;)

I've been in leagues that draft defensive players and I can tell you right now, the autorankings for defensive players have almost no relevance to their future performance. It's honestly extremely random. If you don;t want to waste time reseraching who's gonna have good defensive years but want to get at leats legit solid options in there, I'd check the league scoring settings then pick up the top guys as projected totals for week 1 by the yahoo projection system. Yeah, it's rough but better than having guys who are gonna record maybe 1 tackle a game.

Though if it were me, Id cry if I had that team. ;)

Then I'm glad that I don't know enough to fully understand the situation that I'm in. Thanks everyone for sharing your opinion.

Speaking of drafts what is the plan this year for Fantasy Football around here. I played for the first time myself last year with some friends. I might be up for playing if there are open spots. I have certainly learned a few things (not to do).

Also, Eagles D coordinator Jim Johnson passed away today.

I picked the Eagles as my NFC team to follow years and years ago because their fast, blitz-all-the-time D was so much fun to watch. RIP Jim Johnson, he'll go down as one of the best coordinators in the game.

Also, Eagles D coordinator Jim Johnson passed away today.

I picked the Eagles as my NFC team to follow years and years ago because their fast, blitz-all-the-time D was so much fun to watch. RIP Jim Johnson, he'll go down as one of the best coordinators in the game.

That's sad to see.

The man engineered some of the most terrifying defenses to watch. Really think he should've been a head coach in this league...just got punished for his age. And unlike the wave of Baltimore D Coordinators who became head coaches, Johnson did it without all-world talent. There were some games where he just destroyed the opposition (last year's Steelers game as an example)...the man didn't have much in the way of mercy. I'll miss seeing the hyper-aggressive schemes he came up with..though I won't miss the Redskins playing against him.

D - Will Blackmon (GB)

DL - Dre Moore (TB)

DT - Jason Shirley (Cin)

DE - Jake Ingram (NE)

S - Michael Hamlin (Dal)

CB -- empty

What are the requirements for D. Do you need to fill those positions? What is the scoring? For any league I played with Defensive players you got a lot of points for solo tackles. So it actually paid to focus on linebackers and safeties and not linemen or CBs. If return yardage counts or you get ST TDs and you need to field a CB, try and pick up a CB that returns kicks as well. I have only played in leagues where there were any 3 defensive players and I always went after the MLBs that got a ton of tackles (I think my scoring was 1 point or 1/2 point per solo tackle). I think we had one season where you had to get a DL, LB and DB and I got Strahan, Lewis and McGee or Aaron Glenn (I think it was back when Strahan broke the sack record).

Archived