The NFL Thread

Trystane

Even the Williams decision was misplayed badly. Bush was in enormous demand. As I've often argued here with a certain obstinate ex-Marine, the Texans decision to avoid the hype machine around Bush was laudable. But they still should have taken advantage of it, much as the Chargers did in 2004 with the Eli hype. The proper move was to draft Bush and let the bidding begin. The Texans instead chose to pay Williams 'first-pick' money and got no bonus picks as a result. Had they the cojones to draft Bush then move him, they could have gotten a lot more.

No doubt about it, but then again the Texans aren't an experienced club and have yet to post a winning season. Maybe they were just being conservative doubting they could nurse that many players into solid workers a few years down the line. I think things are different now that they have solid people at DE (Williams), WR (Johnson), and TE (Daniels) and an impressive sophomore DT (Okoye), and finally an O-Line worth a damn (but still not great) they just need that "third heat" to finally break the .500 curse so I predict they'll start playing the draft with a little more risk.

Bengals did OK, there has to something with wrong with Rey, EVERYBODY passed on him and that just tells me their are red flags everywhere, whether it is a smarts thing or not coachable but something is wrong there. Smith is going to be a great LT - had some issues but just watch the guy play against NFL ready talent in the SEC he dominated them there and he will dominate in the NFL. Really like the TE pick too, guy can catch. Hate Michael Johnson. Looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. Total underachiever. But if Marvin can get production out of Johnson great but doubt it, he lacks the drive but again we'll see. Just keep this group away from the strip clubs on the other side of the river and they could be solid citizens.

Rey is a MLB and teams needed other things (like those pass rushing OLBs). He also has a reputation of having a mean streak which threw up some character flags. And finally, people think he can't cover therefore he is only a 2 down LB.

But you know what, he is perfect for our system where RBs are funneled into the MLB and he is by far the most consistent and punishing tackler in the draft. We need that physicality, especially in our division. He brings something we quite frankly, don't have at the moment.

Johnson was definitely the riskiest pick but with incredible upside. If they can reign him in, I'm happy.

Any news on the UDFA with your teams??

It would appear we have some vested intrest in a certain PAC 10 DB? Any news?

Curious to see who your guys brought in for a look see - honestly getting to know the undrafted guys name/school might win you a beer one day playing the "hey, where did he go to school" game...

My guys brought in the following; some I am familiar with because I follow NCAA pretty closely some not so much. Out of all of them the kid fromfrom Jackson State might be the most intriguing - if you are bored head over to you tube and check him out...

WR Jordan Norwood (Penn St.)

S Jason Venson (UCF)

OG Marlon Davis (Alabama)

DB Corey Boudreaux (SDSU)

WR Brent Casteel (Utah)

P Chris Lynch (Albany)

DE Marcus Benard (Jackson State)

WR Eddie Thompson (Idaho State)

CB Bryan Williams (Akron)

QB Graham Harrell (Texas Tech)

QB Kyle Zeltinger (University of Mary)

FS Nate Ness (Arizona)

TE Michael Massey (Michigan)

DL Adam Hoppel (Cincinnati)

OT Brandon Braxton (Oklahoma)

OL Jeff Niedermier (Buffalo)

OL Joesph Thompson (Abilene Christian)

FB/TE Kendrick Holloway (Abilene Christian)

How about college fans? Any info on these guys? +/-?

Just wanted to wish your brother good luck Triskele.

In other news the Lions waived Henson in hopes of picking up a veteran. They've got Culpepper, Stanton and Stafford now. Whatever dudes.

Stanton did Letterman's Top Ten last night. The best one - #10 You don't often hear, "Congratulations, you're going to Detroit."

Word is that Brett Favre has hired a personal trainer.

Latest buzz is that new free-agent QB Brett Favre, 39, who could end up with the Vikings, has hired a personal trainer at home in Mississippi.

Favre's sudden arrival on the market makes you wonder if that's the reason the Vikings haven't spent much on free agency this year. Maybe they knew something.

http://www.twincities.com/vikings/ci_12267411?nclick_check=1

Heh.

I heard this too. On the one hand I don't know if I can take any more Favre. But on the other I do think that Minnesota may be the place that always made sense. I'm sure that's where he really wanted to go last year.

I'm a little bummed because I want Clemens to succeed and I was holding out hope of him getting traded to the Vikings and getting a shot at working with that talent.

At this point I'm only paying attention to Brett Favre for the lulz.

But yeah, if I were running the Vikings, I'd be trying to bring him in yesterday.

The Patriots have signed 3 rookie free agents from my school (Tyree Barnes, Eric Kettani, and Shun White—all WR). Of course they're just rookie free agents (aka teh suck for now), but I still think it's cool. I'm not sure how that works with their service obligation but :dunno: I'm sure they have people to figure that shiz out.

Belichick LOVES Navy. He can't resist giving them a chance.

Also, am I horrible for thinking that it's pretty fucking stupid for a billion dollar organization like the Dallas Cowboys to practice in a bubble? Is a building really cost prohibitive?

Jerry Jones should be taking some heat.

Jerry Jones should be taking some heat.

As much as I would love to see that, I would bet it ain't gonna come back on him. The builder, the inspectors... hell, even the janitors will probably catch it before JJ gets any on him.

They will probably kick me out of Texas... but I don't love the Cowboys.

I wish the best for the folks that got hurt and NEVER want anything bad to happen to anyone in the organization, but they just don't get me all revved up as a fan.

I hope my former Red Raiders do well in the pros, but I wish I didn't have to follow the Cowboys to see how it goes for some of them. :P

And Favre is officially going to meet with Vikings coach Brad Childress.

Of course that does not a done deal make, but there are also rumors that his agent is trying to get a QB coach to come down and work with him in Mississippi.

I've gotten quite sick of Favre the last few years but I honestly wouldn't mind seeing what happens should he suit up for Minnesota.

Honestly I believe all of it...He just W I L L NOT DIE!!! LoLLL!!!!

If this guy wants to give it one more go and you need to fill seats - sign him. If you want to win games run away from him as quickly as possible.

Funny thing is - which one is MIN???? Fill seats or win??? Good debate there because you can make a case either way. Or they can they just go with the second best jewish QB * of all time and call it another top 10 draft pick. hummmm Vikings are already poisoning the qb well?

*=See Sid Luckman

C'mon, guys, you know Brett F**** reads fantasy messageboards right? Everytime you talk about him, it's like opening a spam email. It just encourages him to launch more comebacks.

Dammit, Minnesota, give Sage a chance! :mad:

Got that right - if it doesn't work you are right in the middle of QB bonanza 2010 with Sam Bradford, Colt Mcoy, Tim Tebow and the rest of the dudes!!!! Go for it, don't go Wrangler!! Go designer!!

Archived