Werthead

Guy Gavriel Kay

So, is this where we wait for DP's evisceration of Tigana?

So, is this where we wait for DP's evisceration of Tigana?

isn't there enough evisceration here?

Link didn't work for me...

the linked website is down for reasons unrelated to this thread

Seems to be back up again now.

Kay being Kay, supernatural aspects will be kicking in sooner or later.

Finished Lions of Al-Rassan. A great first two thirds, but the final act kind of fell apart for me:

the masque party was a great idea, but rather spoiled by my inability to suspend disbelief that people who know each other that well can't recognise their body language, yet a virtual stranger can do that. From then on, though, the book is crippled badly by Kay's insistence on concealing the true outcome and victims of events way, way past the bounds of good sense or storytelling logic - Rodrigo's dead, no he's not it must be Alvar, actually no it's the old servant dude. Once would have been bad enough, but then he does it for every death and potential death from there on out in the book, and it's painful. Especially since every time he substitutes in a less shocking death or event for the one he initially intimated.

I just finished Lions too and thought what you mentioned in your spoiler was hilarious every time he did it. Oh Kay, you old trickster!

Almost done with River of Stars and it's another very good read from Kay! :)

And I have a copy up for grabs on the Hotlist if anyone's interested!

Patrick

Almost done with River of Stars and it's another very good read from Kay! :)

And I have a copy up for grabs on the Hotlist if anyone's interested!

Patrick

Does it end with a little bit of magic going out of the world?

Just finished River of Stars and it's another great reading experience! :) Second only to Tigana and Under Heaven, in this house at least!

Patrick

I just finished Lions too and thought what you mentioned in your spoiler was hilarious every time he did it. Oh Kay, you old trickster!

I love Kay's books, they're such a pleasure to read, but this is one thing that he does tend to do a lot that annoys me.

I think he did less of it in Under Heaven and I enjoyed it the most out of his novels that I've read for this reason. The only thing I didn't like about UH was that the ending felt too abrupt for me. I think it could have benifited from maybe having a POV character that was with the rebellious general so it didn't feel like so much important action happened off screen.

I love Kay's books, they're such a pleasure to read, but this is one thing that he does tend to do a lot that annoys me.

I think he did less of it in Under Heaven and I enjoyed it the most out of his novels that I've read for this reason. The only thing I didn't like about UH was that the ending felt too abrupt for me. I think it could have benifited from maybe having a POV character that was with the rebellious general so it didn't feel like so much important action happened off screen.

i think that would be my complaint too. i liked the journey but at the end i was all, "that was it?"

I loved River of Stars. One touch I liked was the obituaries for minor characters. and also:

Difficult as it was a for a virtuous man to have someone killed for merely overhearing a conversation, it was even more difficult to discover that, once given, the order had not been carried out.
Edited by ericxihn

Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any of the GGK books in my library except for The Lions of Al-Rassan.

It's a very, very, good book (loved the ambiguous ending of the final pre-epilogue chapter and the epilogue was very touching!) but it's just not fantasy. It's a historical novel about medieval Iberia with all the names and some of the geography and religious doctrines changed.

I'll grant you, Lions is probably the least fantastical of GGK's works. His other stuff usually has at least a little magic, notably Tigana with full-fledged wizards, as well as less direct historical plot parallels so they're a little more obviously fantasy. Though I'll be honest and say I don't lump GGK in with most other books in the genre. He seems to have his own niche in what I like to call Alternate Historical Fantasy.

I just recently blasted through every GGK book on Kindle, aside from Ysabel (started it, didn't really like it). Out of Sarantium, UH, RoS, Lions, and The Last Light of the Sun, I think UH was my favorite. I agree with polishgenius's critique of Lions. The gimmick got old, quick. It's unfortunate too, because the only time he really should have used it, in my opinion, was the final fight, where it actually made some sense thematically, but by the time it got there I just kind of worn-out on the trick. I thought UH was almost perfect, but the ending fell a little flat. In particular, I didn't like how:

Shen Tai's sister (can't remember her name for the life of me) and the semi-undead Mongol-esque dude didn't somehow play a greater role in the ending. Their story was actually very interesting and well done, but the whole time I'm expecting some kind of crazy collision of plots...but, no, she just comes home. Even her marrying the Emperor's son could have been made to work out more interestingly, to intertwine with the greater plot, if so much of the ending hadn't been offscreen, as other's said. And yeah, a Roshan POV could have done wonders. He was an extremely interesting character to me, and was a great villain, but there just wasn't enough pay-off. All that being said, I still loved the hell out of it. The set-up was brilliant, I thought (Shen Tai digging graves and then getting the absurdly valuable gift), but unfortunately GGK didn't entirely stick the landing.

And I still want to read Tigana. It was actually my first choice after Lions, but there's no Kindle version, and it's not at my library, so I'll have to pick up a paper copy at some point.

Actually, I think several of GGK's books would have been a bit better if the villains had a little more of the spotlight. They seem to flutter around the edges, and then their real actions all happen in info-dumps of prose about wars and the various states of the civilizations involved, etc., which is something I generally can't stand. I just don't think it's compelling writing at all, in any of the forms I've seen it.

Edited by Francis Buck

I loved every single GGK book I read, except for The Fionvar Tapestry books. I found it extraordinarioly difficult to get enveloped into those.

I haven't rea Under Heaven, so I'll have to go find that one ASAP.

I'll grant you, Lions is probably the least fantastical of GGK's works. His other stuff usually has at least a little magic, notably Tigana with full-fledged wizards, as well as less direct historical plot parallels so they're a little more obviously fantasy. Though I'll be honest and say I don't lump GGK in with most other books in the genre. He seems to have his own niche in what I like to call Alternate Historical Fantasy.

I presume you've read Tim Powers?

Actually, I think several of GGK's books would have been a bit better if the villains had a little more of the spotlight. They seem to flutter around the edges, and then their real actions all happen in info-dumps of prose about wars and the various states of the civilizations involved, etc., which is something I generally can't stand. I just don't think it's compelling writing at all, in any of the forms I've seen it.

In Tigana one of the 'villains' gets a spotlight. A little too much of it for some readers actuallly *coughsympatheticmindrapistcough*

Tigana is nice book to test a reader about his stance on nacionalism (especialy ironic considering it's based on pre-(re)unification Italy)

Edited by Serious Callers Only

I have only read Lions by GGK and while thinking it was decent, it did not incite me to read him any further. The complaints already listed were too annoying for me (especially when people mention that is a trend for his books). Plus, his good guys seemed too awesome at everything. I do have UH on my to-be-read pile though.

I presume you've read Tim Powers?

Yes, and while he's similar, I don't put him with GGK. But that's just me.