D. C., 3 Augusto

like it says, I will be in the DC/ Bal'mur area keeping it real the 3rd/ 4th of August if anyone would like to get together. Yeah, I know it's a Monday/ Tuesday. I'm especially interested in fabulous, though not necessarily "fine" dining. let's shape something up as the day draws closer- even if the best we can do is a happy hour and stroll along the mall, I'm cool with it.

Raidne, yours and husband's presence is required, kthx.

Is this in addition to the Late June Ztemmy Tour dates?

oh apologies. it's August, not June. I'll be in Balmur on the 1st, though most likely hanging with Yeshe, husband, and assorted crewe; though nothing's set in stone. third/ fourth August I"m down for a little travelling wherev.

• 2 weeks later...
I head to NYC on the 4th to start my Worldcon Vacation (early am train on the 5th)

Sorry I'll be missing your visit. :(

yeah I figured some folks would be heading for that.

more beer for me then. :)

Guest Raidne

Okay, I'm thinking happy hour on Monday. I'm taking suggestions for location, particularly places with good patios. Thoughts?

Guest Raidne
and food. Mikey needs food.

What kind of food are we talking about? Bar food? My regular place for way better than average pub grub is Stoney's on P St, but if you're thinking of something else, ask and you shall receive. S John knows some places too, I'm sure, and JL if he'll get in this thread, already.

You know, what's the one really awesome multi-story Irish Pub in Old Town Alexandria? I've been once and LOVE the place. I would consider leaving the District for that, even.

hmmm, not bar food unless it's extra special. I'd like a memorable meal. Not necessarily expensive, just something I'll be talking about later. Maybe a place with a unique desert menu.

Just spitballing here, throwing out idears.

What kind of food are we talking about? Bar food? My regular place for way better than average pub grub is Stoney's on P St, but if you're thinking of something else, ask and you shall receive. S John knows some places too, I'm sure, and JL if he'll get in this thread, already.

You know, what's the one really awesome multi-story Irish Pub in Old Town Alexandria? I've been once and LOVE the place. I would consider leaving the District for that, even.

I'm down for whatever. There are A LOT of places with patios this time of year. I think we can almost run under the assumption that wherever we go will have a patio, courtyard, or rooftop deck. Lately, I've been hitting Cactus Cantina on Wisconsin Avenue pretty hard for thier Margaritas. Nice patio, huge umbrellas with lots of shade, not too pricey. Lauriol Plaza in Adams Morgan is essentially the same thing. However, I think I'm fundamentally opposed to taking a person from Arizona to a Mexican place. I'll try to think of some ideas a bit more unique to the DC area. A one of a kind place, or maybe a place that takes advantage of the fruits of the Chesapeake Bay.... That's what I think is in order.

All the bars and restaurants that I hit for after work drinks are on that one strip of Wisconsin Avenue between Calvert and W... bourbon, the kitchen, breadsoda, blue ridge, surfside, etc... and all of them are nice.. but its out of the way for everyone but me so I'll take the opportunity to visit another part of the city. Since that is what is walking distance for me that is where I typically go, but I'm all about broadening horizons. The only other place that I might pop up at on a weeknight is Madams Organ, but thats not a good place for a meet-up (loud live music) and no patio.

Anyway, just brainstorming, I'll see what places are getting some buzz when I'm around town this weekend. And, I'm certainly not opposed to Stoney's or that place in Old Town. I trust Raids' judgement.

I'm planning to come - maybe with a friend or two in tow.

If we're considering outside of DC places I'll put Whitlow's up for suggestion. Been there a few times and liked it.

Also, I can smoke there. :P

is this an all-smoking crowd? didn't any of you just say no like Nancy Reagan told you to?

I said no to no - got a little too caught up in it, I guess.

Anyhow, I'm perfectly okay with non-smoking places as well. Plenty of experience with trekking out to the sidewalk & whatnot. :)

Archived