The Books We Are Expecting in 2010

Werthead

Guy Gavriel Kay just announced some more information today on his new book on the Brightweavings website:

The new novel is called UNDER HEAVEN. It is a long, single-volume historical fantasy inspired by the extraordinary Tang Dynasty, essentially 8th century China.

It will appear in the English-language markets in April and May of 2010.

I'm looking forward to this one.

Guy Gavriel Kay just announced some more information today on his new book on the Brightweavings website:

Nice. I hope this is a return to form for Kay, whose last book (Ysabel, I believe it was called) wasn't up to the standards set by the Sarantine Mosaic or Lions of Al-Rassan.

FEBRUARY

Spellwright by Blake Charlton

This one has been in the works for years. Listed several times only to never appear. That much tweaking makes me wonder. If the first book takes several years of re-working after the manuscript was sold and scheduled? Maybe it will shock and be simply brilliant. Yeah.

APRIL

Watcher of the Dead by J.V. Jones

The Edge of Ruin by Melinda Snodgrass

Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis

Glad to see Tregillis finally getting a slot. Snodgrass apparently hit a rough spot on this one as it looks to be six or nine months late already assuming it makes it into April.

Glad Jones is on track finally, but her progress is troubling to say the least. A much smaller book in what I guess is a massive re-write is not always a good thing. Coupled with the huge delays she is now infamous for, suddenly I'm not so desperate for this one.

No David Keck or the third Instrumentalities of the Night book by Glen Cook.

Both Keck and Cook have reprints in MMPK scheduled for the first two quarters of the year so I'm guessing if they make it with the thirds books they will fall in Tor's usually heavy release month of June. It is interesting to see the rush on the BLack Company omnibii with the schedule of the fourth in the beginning of the year just four months after the third. Wonder if this means Cook's return to that world for two more books is on track for release of a new Black Company novel in late 2010 / early 2011?

It is interesting that Tor, usually rather good on the initial scheduling, is going with a less firm listing on Amazon for that period. Usually the first quarter of the following year would be a bit less tenuous.

Kay's new work has me intrigued. It will be interesting to see what he will do with an Asian theme.

It does sound interesting. I still enjoyed Ysabel, but I preferred his historical fantasies, and the Chinese setting does sound intriguing.

I wonder if it'll be set in the same world as Sarantine/Al-Rassan/Last Light? It would seem to make sense, although given the time period and setting there isn't much scope for any crossover references to the other books.

i am ofc hoping for more of grrm's books

but im also really looking forward to City of the Snakes by darren shan, which will complete his The City trilogy.

im not surer if there is anything official but im hoping brandon sanderson is going to release something, best would be a sequel to Elantris , but a prequel or sequel to his Mistborn trilogy would be very welcome too

trudi canavan should be releasing the first of her sequel trilogy to The Black Magician Trilogy, and i dont care who it is, but im hoping someone is going to write a 2000 page book about everything that sucks about twilight. then again, 2000 pages might not be enough

Anthony Horowitz is going to release his ast book in the 'Power of Five' series in 2010 i think.

Dave Mitchell's Nagasaki book is meant to be out next year last I heard. He's one of my favourite living authors and I don't seem to be reading much contemporary fiction these days. The book's based on the experiences of Dutch traders on the artificial island of Dejima in Nagasaki Harbour, the only Westerners allowed contact with Japan in the Tokugawa period (1603-1858), hopefully it will build on his good work with Black Swan Green and Cloud Atlas.

I'd forgotten about Mitchell! That is a book I'm looking forward to no matter when it comes out. Kazuo Ishiguro is chanced at bringing out a full length novel as well next year from what I hear, no word yet on title or even plot.

Also looking forward to Tanith Lee's return to her Flat Earth series. Not sure when the new book will be out following the reprints but I think it is due in 2010. The last book of the five felt a bit scattered but it was one of my favorite series as a kid (though definitely not a kid's series for the time it was written!)

Already got one interesting 2010 in arc form -- Robert Jackson Bennett's Mr. Shivers. Still have about thirty or so current year yet to be released arcs in the way but depending on my schedule of work and hopefully a bit of fun, I can probably get to it before the Labor Day holiday weekend. It looks interesting in a Keith Donohue kind of way so I may slide it ahead of some of the others if I can get over my pedantic tendency to read as many arcs before they are released as possible; otherwise I might as well just wait for the release, right?

Also looking forward to Tanith Lee's return to her Flat Earth series. Not sure when the new book will be out following the reprints but I think it is due in 2010. The last book of the five felt a bit scattered but it was one of my favorite series as a kid (though definitely not a kid's series for the time it was written!)

Reprints? Yay! I've been wanting to read that series for ages, but I just haven't be arsed to hunt down any used copies.

im not surer if there is anything official but im hoping brandon sanderson is going to release something, best would be a sequel to Elantris , but a prequel or sequel to his Mistborn trilogy would be very welcome too

He's got Way of Kings coming out, a big book apparently, which isn't a surprise. He seems very pleased with it. I've not liked his work sofar but will probably give some sample chapters a shot for this new one, which I suspect will be out in the summer.

Re: David Mitchell

A google search leads me to a tentative Amazon UK listing for the book, called Deshima, listed for April next year, as well as a second comment from someone annoucing that it will be released in May.

Reprints? Yay! I've been wanting to read that series for ages, but I just haven't be arsed to hunt down any used copies.

First reprint in that series, Night's Master, comes out in the US on September 1, if that helps any. Nice cover art on this one.

According to Tad Williams' Facebook page, Shadowrise has been split in half and will be published in two volumes in 2010. Cue much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Actually if both are hefty enough (and being DAW I think they must be) I can't relaly complain if they are published in a timely manner. I felt the story had evolved in a bit too complex manner to round off with just one book (going by the length of the average DAW - Williams publication).

Now if it turns out to be a piddly little two books I'll have to drag the mouth guard out of the gym bag to protect the pearly whites.

As mentioned in the first post Stephen Deas second book The King of the Crags should be out on April 15, 2010. But it looks like he has a standalone coming out August 19, 2010 called The Thief-Taker's Apprentice.

Here's the synopsis from Amazon UK:

SPOILER: The Thief-Taker's Apprentice
Berren has lived in the city all his life. He has made his way as a thief, paying a little of what he earns to the Fagin like master of their band. But there is a twist to this tale of a thief. One day Berren goes to watch an execution of three thieves. He watches as the thief-taker takes his reward and decides to try and steal the prize. He fails. The young thief is taken. But the thief-taker spots something in Berren. And the boy reminds him of someone as well. Berren becomes his apprentice. And is introduced to a world of shadows, deceit and corruption behind the streets he thought he knew. Full of richly observed life in a teeming fantasy city, a hectic progression of fights, flights and fancies and charting the fall of a boy into the dark world of political plotting and murder this marks the beginning of a new fantasy series for all lovers of fantasy

Colin Buchanan's Farlander will be published in March 2010 by Tor UK. It's the first book in the Heart of the World series. Blurb:

The Heart of the World is a land in strife. For fifty years the Holy Empire of Mann, an empire and religion born from a nihilistic urban cult, has been conquering nation after nation. Their leader, Holy Matriarch Sasheen, ruthlessly maintains control through her Diplomats, priests trained as subtle predators.

The Mercian Free Ports are the only confederacy yet to fall. Their only land link to the southern continent, a long and narrow isthmus, is protected by the city of Bar-Khos. For ten years now, the great southern walls of Bar-Khos have been besieged by the Imperial Fourth Army.

Ash is a member of an elite group of assassins, the RÅshun - who offer protection through the threat of vendetta. Forced by his ailing health to take on an apprentice, he chooses Nico, a young man living in the besieged city of Bar-Khos. At the time, Nico is hungry, desperate, and alone in a city that finds itself teetering on the brink.

When the Holy Matriarch’s son deliberately murders a woman under the protection of the RÅshun; he forces the sect to seek his life in retribution. As Ash and his young apprentice set out to fulfil the RÅshun orders - their journey takes them into the heart of the conflict between the Empire and the Free Ports... into bloodshed and death.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Farlander-Colin-Bu...6186&sr=1-1

I believe Deas' The Thief-Taker's Apprentice is the first in a YA trilogy/series.

I saw the Buchanan book listed but that is the first description. Looks interesting. Could be more interesting if Buchanan is willing to go beyond evil empire and make both sides worth rooting for in the overall conflict.

From Tad's forum about Shadowrise:

At present, the full last piece (two volumes, now) is at about 1300 pages ms., with another two hundred perhaps to come. That means about 750 pages each in first draft for the new, split books. The first two books published were each about 800 or so in manuscript, so we're talking about two more very similar sized volumes to SHADOWMARCH and SHADOWPLAY.

The size of To Green Angel Tower was 1600 manuscript pages.

Re; Williams

I'm surprised, but only mildly. After all he does have a history of just going on and on in his books, taking forever to get to the part we're looking forward to. His sagas all consist of long individual books, and both MS&T and Otherland also ran into 4 books, all very expansive.

He did say however that this would be a trilogy, so in that sense there is some surprise. I don't think we need to hear his explanation to gather that he just kept on writing again and that the book simply couldn't be published as one volume.

Personally I'd rather have it be one book, and have that come out in February, then have it be half of a book, and then have to wait for the final story. On the other hand, if he does it like Robin Hobb did with Dragon Keeper/Dragon Haven, releasing the two books relatively shortly after each other, I don't mind much.

Archived