Cricket VII

Paxter

I can't help but feel that Hauritz being exposed at International level in an ASHES test series is definitely going to make the inevitable Shane Warne comparisons even more apparent. The fact is he is a spinner who does not achieve much turn or bounce on pitches that do or do not suit him. Average spinner and when compared to bowlers of Warne's calibre poor poor poor poor SHIT.

Oh, I wouldn't be so harsh on Hauritz. He did get much more turn and bounce than Panesar or Swann in the first Test at Cardiff, and he is the Australian leading wicket taker in the series so far. ;)

Believe it or not, there is a greater sin than letting Shane Watson into the Test team - keeping Stuart Clark out. If Watson's in on tour match form, Clark should be in. If Jaques is out on poor Test series form, Johnson should be out. There's no consistency. And Clark absolutely must play in this series. The McGrath comparisons are a little bit lame, but (possibly apart from Hilfenhaus) Clark is the best bowler for English conditions, and he's been bowling well. The most economical bowler out of all the tour matches, and has never failed to pick up a wicket in an innings so far.

Oh, I wouldn't be so harsh on Hauritz. He did get much more turn and bounce than Panesar or Swann in the first Test at Cardiff, and he is the Australian leading wicket taker in the series so far. ;)

Believe it or not, there is a greater sin than letting Shane Watson into the Test team - keeping Stuart Clark out. If Watson's in on tour match form, Clark should be in. If Jaques is out on poor Test series form, Johnson should be out. There's no consistency. And Clark absolutely must play in this series. The McGrath comparisons are a little bit lame, but (possibly apart from Hilfenhaus) Clark is the best bowler for English conditions, and he's been bowling well. The most economical bowler out of all the tour matches, and has never failed to pick up a wicket in an innings so far.

A-fucking-men.

The most frustrating thing with Watson is that he is actually a decent player. But he's not going to be a regular member of the team. At some point this year Watson *will* get injured. it's inevitable. He didn't drink enough milk as a kid or something. He'll break down in a match, and we'll need to replace him, so why not just SKIP THE WHOLE FUCKING PROCESS and pick another player?

That, combined with the baffling continuing non selection of Clark ... I just don't understand it at all. Did Stu bang one of the selector's wives or something? Like Jeor said, he's not Glenn McGrath, but he's the closest damn thing Australia have right now, and he's our most consistent bowler by a huge margin.

ETA; Speaking of Jaques, is he injured or something? Seems like he's been totally forgotten.

I'm sure I heard about Jaques having back surgery or something catastrophic? I'll have a look and see what I can see... OK, I've found yes he did, but that was in October last year and at that time he was hoping to be back for the tour to South Africa, which was obviously quite a while ago.

He wasn't given an Australia Cricket contract for this year.

Bad news for Aus, with the in-form Haddin out:

Brad Haddin is out of the Test. He has broken his index finger of his left hand - took a couple while practising in front of the pavilion, and Graham Manou has been picked instead

Well well - what news about Haddin. Poor bloke. This happened after the toss, so he's only just broken it.

To clear up the Graham Manou debut. He came in after the toss at the agreement of England who allowed him to replace Haddin. The team-sheet Strauss was handed at the toss had Haddin's name on it.

I take it from this that Strauss could have forced Aus to play with ten men. Good sportsmanship England. Just pray that Manou doesn't get a debut Ashes hundred ;).

ETA: and just saw this on cricinfo as well:

"Poetic justice?" wonders Ask Steven. "It was Haddin who rolled the ball that McGrath stepped on four years ago." Tremendous spot, Steven Lynch.

Aussie openers looking good. England bowling pies. Deck looks flat. Should be a draw.

:lol:

Greatest summary of a session ever written

Believe it or not, there is a greater sin than letting Shane Watson into the Test team

Is it letting both Shane Watson and Andrew McDonald into the Test team at the same time? ;)

To be fair, Watson played a lot better than Hughes did in the last couple of tests, although he should probably have been out lbw to Swann.

Aussie openers looking good. England bowling pies. Deck looks flat. Should be a draw.

A draw does seem like the most likely option, particularly given the forecast. On the other hand, you could reverse the two country names and you'd perfectly describe the first session from the last Ashes test at Edgbaston, and that turned out to be quite an entertaining match.

If the weather forecast goes as... forecast... then I'm sure Australia would love to give Johnson some bowling practice with all pressure off to try and get his rhythm back. For that reason, I hope England can keep Australia in at the crease as long as possible, and the 126-1 beginning is an excellent start. :pirate:

As a secondary objective, try and make Watson run for his runs. He's bound to step on a rogue jelly bean that one of the England players will not have dropped on the wicket.

Memo to: England Cricket Team

Subject: Australian Players

Please note that in future you are to dismiss S Watson with extreme prejudice. S Katich is permitted to make runs. S Watson is not.

Thank You.

Memo to: England Cricket Team

Subject: Australian Players

Please note that in future you are to dismiss S Watson with extreme prejudice. S Katich is permitted to make runs. S Watson is not.

Thank You.

Seconded!

Well, begrudgingly I'll have to say that Watson's half-century was welcome. Maybe the cricinfo theory about Flintoff only bowling well to left-handers is true. Still, I'm afraid this might mean the selectors will persist with Watson, and in the Fourth or Fifth Test he will break down on the first morning and leave us playing with 10 men in a match that would be a series decider.

Escaping with a draw might be the best thing for Australia, with Haddin out injured as well. Haddin is a huge loss. Manou's wicketkeeping is very good (and probably actually better than Haddin's) but he's only half the batsman Haddin is.

Given the fact that Haddin is out, Stuart Clark is not playing, Johnson needs to get his form back, and Edgbaston historically being Australia's worst ground, I'd be happy for Australia to get a draw. Give Johnson some overs in the match to find his form again, hold out while Haddin gets back from injury and Clark tries to work his way into the team. The selectors picked a weak team (though Haddin's injury wasn't their fault) so not losing will be an accomplishment in itself. ;)

That being said, we do need to start winning some matches. ;) I think if we can sneak one more win that should be enough as it feels there might be a couple more draws left in the series.

Bullshit.

That was the most plumb LBW I have seen all year. Michael Clarke's luck gives me the shits. Someone sack Aleem Dar.

I need something to comfort me now. Ah, this should do nicely ;).

ETA: The cricketing gods have spoken! Rudi gives Clarke the finger on a less-plumb LBW. Oh well, justice was served.

As for the game situation ATM, the conditions have turned around dramatically. This has the potential to be quite a low-scoring match if the bowlers continue to swing the ball to the same extent that Onions and Anderson have moved it this morning.

As for the game situation ATM, the conditions have turned around dramatically. This has the potential to be quite a low-scoring match if the bowlers continue to swing the ball to the same extent that Onions and Anderson have moved it this morning.

I have no doubt Johnson will get the ball to swing. Unfortunately, balls that swing further down the legside than they already are will rarely trouble the batsmen.

Absolute disaster of a session for Australia. Lost 7 wickets and scored very few runs.

Four years ago (Lords 2005) I was not worried when this happened. Some (like Hereward) will remember that I was not panicking too much by Australia being bowled out for 180-odd and said that I'd wait to judge until Australia had had their turn to bowl. Back then Australia had McGrath and Warne and I was convinced that whatever England's bowling attack could do, we could do better. Now I'm not sold on that at all. Oh selectors, how stupid you were not to select Stuart Clark.

Archived