Football Thread 12

Zoë Sumra

Fireball, when did the defensive midfielder become the most important position on the pitch? Arsenal have been playing without a proper defensive midfielder for years. What do you mean we haven't won anything for years? You're missing the point. :tantrum:

I don't think the African Nations will impede Chelsea in terms of Essien or Mikel. Sure, it's nice to have that defensive capability in the midfield, but you can cope without it for a little while. Their real problem is going to be losing Drogba, who is their main goalscorer. Need I say more?

I'm just glad that Arsenal are only losing one player for once!

Ah, the wonderful new Euroleague. Soooo different from the old, boring UEFA Cup. Oh yes. Werder vanquish the mighty Aktobe Lento (apparently they're from Kazakhstan) 6-3. Conceding 3 at home really is a bit much, but the three goal lead should be enough...in theory.

Arsenal have been playing without a proper defensive midfielder for years. What do you mean we haven't won anything for years? You're missing the point. :tantrum:

Gilberto, Flamini and Song are defensive midfielders.

I don't think the African Nations will impede Chelsea in terms of Essien or Mikel. Sure, it's nice to have that defensive capability in the midfield, but you can cope without it for a little while. Their real problem is going to be losing Drogba, who is their main goalscorer. Need I say more?

Losing Essien is just as big a problem as losing Drogba. The biggest difference at Chelsea last year wasn't Gus Hiddink, it was Michael Essien.

Yeah, I wonder if this will have ramifications for FRF in addition to Dinamo.

The Norwegian teams have done real bad in Europe this season, with only two team remaining. Losing 0:3 at home against Valencia, Stabæk is as good as finished as well. I was impressed by Tromsø though, taking the lead twice against Athletico Bilbao before losing 3:2 in Spain. It would be interesting to see how the Basque cope with the artificial turf oop north.

Fireball, when did the defensive midfielder become the most important position on the pitch? Arsenal have been playing without a proper defensive midfielder for years. What do you mean we haven't won anything for years? You're missing the point. :tantrum:

I'm just glad that Arsenal are only losing one player for once!

No, in the Premiership, the defensive midfield role is the most important. Every team needs to have a player who can break down the attacks before they happen, to cut off the supply of goals.

Arsenal did shit last year because Denilson was poor in the defensive role, meaning Fabregas had to drop back to do the hard work in midfield. That limited their creativity and put more pressure on the defence. The year before, Arsenal did brilliantly, because of Flamini in that role and Fabregas was hailed as one of the best players in the world because he was able to push on. A proper DM is more valuable than nearly any other position on the pitch. Look at Arsenal, they've been trying to replace Flamini for two years now and have turned to Song now.

If they had got Melo, I would have had them as league champions. Essien is much more important than Drogba, who is let's face it a waster. He's good at creating chances but is a god-awful finisher. Anelka's a better finisher but not as good in open play at creating chances. I think when Drogba goes theyll struggle but only because they have no target man, Kalou's too small and Shevchenko's a different type of player.

Edit: As an aside, is there any decent football on tonight?

On a Friday night? Hardly.

After doing some checking I was a bit surprised to see that there is a Norwegian match tonight (Fredrikstad vs. Rosenborg), not that this would qualify as 'decent'. One match in Belgium (Standard Liège vs. Charleroi) wouldn't either, the German match (Hoffenheim vs. S04) could perhaps count as half decent, but I'm not sure if you would be able to catch this one on TV.

Yeah, I knew it was a bit of a long-shot, but I thought I'd check, 'cause I doubt I'll be doing anything later. Might need to change that. :P

Looking forward to this weekend's games! And getting my team of stars back on tract...

Shevchenko's a different type of player.

I was astonished when I saw Shevchenko on Match of the Day the other night. I thought he'd left Chelsea, but then I remembered his loan deal to AC Milan wasn't made permanent. He was one of the best centre forwards in the world back in the day, now he's a nobody.

I was astonished when I saw Shevchenko on Match of the Day the other night. I thought he'd left Chelsea, but then I remembered his loan deal to AC Milan wasn't made permanent. He was one of the best centre forwards in the world back in the day, now he's a nobody.

He can still score goals....I wouldn't be surprised if he got a few this season.

Leverkusen move top of the Bundesliga (at least until tomorrow) with an impressive 5-0 victory against Freiburg while Bayern continue to endear themselves to football fans outside Bavaria, losing 2-1 in Mainz.

Bayern's English pendant on the other hand seem to be bouncing back from their poor start. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted, right?;)

Who's Bayern's English pendant then, to your mind?

That's not a serious question, is it? The team that has been the dominating force in English football for the last 20 years? Yeah, yeah, one victory + 1 defeat is better than two draws, so their start wasn't as poor as Bayern's. But losing to Burnley was kinda embarassing, wasn't it?

Another shit weekend on Sky Sports. Cricket, golf...or watch a bunch of ex-players sit around and talk crap, with football updates as interludes? I don't want to watch any of it. Show a live game, for chrissake. Oh well. On the plus side, they do show all of the games...delayed as all hell, but they show them nonetheless. And what's going on with the BBC? I thought they were showing the Championship, this season? As far as I know, all they've shown was Newcastle's first game of the season.

Just finishing watching a live feed of the Celtic game, at the minute. We're 5-2 up. Happy days! I might watch Roy Keane's Ipswich play in an hour's time. Of all the games Sky shows live today, it's 'that'. Bit ridiculous.

(..Can't wait for the bloody Ashes to end).

Archived