Football Thread 12

Zoë Sumra

You should take heart from the fact that you didn't draw with them, Chal. The last two teams to draw at Old Trafford on the opening weekends of the season were Reading and Newcastle and look what happened to them. A defeat clearly gives you a better chance of staying up. ;)

Delighted with Swindon's start to the season. A 5-0 hammering against newly promoted Gillingham. Doesn't get better than that.

Two former LoI players in your team: Keith Fahey and Jay O'Shea. Fahey was the best player in the league before he left, and I thought he was good last season.

Do you think he can make the step up to the Prem? He was okay yesterday.

I agree that it's too soon to tell whether Aquilani is good enough for Liverpool and the PL, but from some of the plays he makes in this video, it looks like he's got potential to be a sublime player. Some of those passes are borderline magical. I think being injury-prone is his biggest challenge. Let's hope we're not in for a new Harry Kewell.

And while I used to really dislike Benayoun, his performances last season has convinced me that he is, at the very least, a valuable squad player.

Riera scores some amazing goals and gets around the backline on a regular basis. His performances are uneven, though.

On the upside, Ayala looked up to the task when he came on, against one of the better teams in the PL offensively.

And while I used to really dislike Benayoun, his performances last season has convinced me that he is, at the very least, a valuable squad player.

Riera scores some amazing goals and gets around the backline on a regular basis. His performances are uneven, though.

The annoying thing is that in terms of actual ability I think that Babel is the most talented winger we've got, it's just that he doesn't show it for 95% of the time he's on the pitch.

The annoying thing is that in terms of actual ability I think that Babel is the most talented winger we've got, it's just that he doesn't show it for 95% of the time he's on the pitch.

I think his lack of composure and game-intelligence completely offsets whether talent he has at the moment. He can't make any impact on the game. Is this the same player whose first goal was a delicious faked shot to trick the defender into committing to block before side-stepping to slam home? Where did that composure go?

I think his lack of composure and game-intelligence completely offsets whether talent he has at the moment. He can't make any impact on the game. Is this the same player whose first goal was a delicious faked shot to trick the defender into committing to block before side-stepping to slam home? Where did that composure go?

Yeah it's depressing, I had such high hopes after that and his performances for the Dutch youth teams. He keeps coming up with flashes of good play which are encouraging and then just doesn't feature in games at all, like on Sunday.

Yeah, well, we've got Nani, Arsenal have Walcott and Chelsea have Malouda, so all fans of the top 4 share your pain. :(

I'm glad Chelsea have finally sent Scott Sinclair on loan to a Premiership team - it's possible given their hesitancy to blood him that he suffers from similar mental issues to the above lot, but if not he could be the quickest and most skillful of all of Englands recent quick skillful winger/forwards.

Celtic play Arsenal tomorrow. Should be the one match everyone will be watching. I suppose the general consensus is that the Gunners are going to run riot on us, like they did with Everton over the weekend, but I think not! :P Neither team has the best defense in the world, to say the least, so that should keep the neutrals entertained. If McGeady and Maloney have a good game for us, and receive the ball often enough, I could see us winning.

Thing is, Denilson might be a bit lightweight but him and Song cover each other's weaknesses, and both play a game suited to Fabregas' like of linking up a defensive midfield with the attack, so the 4-3-3 they're currently trying really limits the damage a team can do to their midfield taken individually. Certainly it'll take more than Celtic have, I reckon.

As for Sunderland, Chelsea have to play better than they did vs Hull or you'll get something off them. You need to give Richardson a few runs at Bosingwa, see if he can handle holding a flank by himself against a quick skillful winger.

I'm interested in how Cana does against what is a really strong midfield, especially in the diamond...

I find things that annoy Neil Warnock to be thoroughly satisfying.

Has the bonus of being Chris Jordan's team as well. Schadenfraude is wonderful at times, y'know.

N

So Werder's replacement for Claudio Pizarro is Claudio Pizarro. Good deal, now if they could just play as good as they look on paper...

I know it's a bit early in the season to laugh at Bayern already, but I am at least smiling at van Gaal being driven mad by Ribéry (who refuses to play where van Gaal tells him to) to the point of considering changing his formation.

Archived