Football Thread 12

Zoë Sumra

Who do Utd have out? I'm gonna watch the Man Utd and Liverpool games later. Both teams didn't look too good in their first matches, and I have a few of their players in my damn fantasy team. >>

--------------Owen--------Rooney--------------

Anderson-----Giggs--------Carrick-----Park

Evra--------Evans--------Brown--------O'Shea

Ben Foster

Thoughts:

Johnson looks like a very, very good buy. Seems to have a very good understanding with Kuyt.

Ayala did very well in a tricky debut against a team that excels in set pieces and air duels.

Mascherano is trying to fill Alonso's boots (likely by necessity). His straight passes seem good, his long, curled passes sub-par.

Lucas seems to have improved his defensive game, but still looks too average. Might prove a decent squad player yet. I hope Aquilani takes his place and stays fit.

Insua is looking promising.

Torres gets the goal, but still looks tired/sluggish.

Voronin is dire.

Liverpool seem to have a weakness in pace.

Good to see us scoring 4 against a notoriously stingy team. I'd rather lose a few more games and win more of the games we drew last season. I think we'll struggle a lot more against the top teams this season, though.

Tottenham have started the season in a very impressive fashion.

BURNLEY!!

ETA: Lyon just thrashed Anderlecht in a game that turned into a farce. Pivotal moment: When Anderlecht, 1-0 down, had a penalty appeal (correctly, in my opinion) declined only to concede one immediately after. Belter of a goal by Bastos to make it 3-0.

Burnley! Well, well. Still think you'll finish bottom, but cheers for nicking 3 points off United. Every little helps!

Tottenham looked impressive against Liverpool, and looked very impressive against Hull. Although it's worth noting Hull have done nothing of note since last year, it's been two good performances so far.

Inglourious...

Let's face it Man Utd's midfield is shit. Park and Anderson are no more than average, Giggs is past it. Carrick is good but he can't run a whole midfield on his own.

I'd agree. Fletcher and Hargreaves are missing, which hurts them. What is Fergie thinking playing Giggs in central midfield? And Anderson...well, he's at best a bench warmer. Not a Man Utd player at all. I'd say 'expect him to be gone', but if Fergie is still playing him and Nani, well...he's lost it. Both were an absolute waste of money.

Well done Burnley, good stuff.

Let's face it Man Utd's midfield is shit. Park and Anderson are no more than average, Giggs is past it. Carrick is good but he can't run a whole midfield on his own.

They're too arrogant to realize this. This is the Blues year. They're really the only side this year with depth, a central cast that's familiar with one another, which reaffirms the wisdom of keeping Drogba. Europe is also more possible for them now with Barca's mistake swap.

They're too arrogant to realize this. This is the Blues year. They're really the only side this year with depth, a central cast that's familiar with one another, which reaffirms the wisdom of keeping Drogba. Europe is also more possible for them now with Barca's mistake swap.

Yup. Even Deco is playing well. Quite remarkable. Only Chelsea have the strength and depth to go the distance.

Archived