Football Thread 12

Zoë Sumra

Thanks.

I've tried to make my team the same as the one in my work fantasy league (I work for Barclays, they do one on our Intranet), but this one won't let me buy Jozy Altidore.

I've been looking for Jozy too. I have to think they'll get him in before the weekend.

Same here. Think I have quite a tasty team, too. :) Hopefully no one will get injured.

Btw, my team are called 'Others United', ha. Couldn't think of anything appropriate really. I notice Nygard's team are called 'the Others'. Derby match? ;)

I understand that Portsmouth will be weaker than last season, but dead last? Behind all the promoted teams? What's the reasoning? Glen Johnson and Peter Crouch are not that good.

And unfortunately, I have to agree about Liverpool's depth.

They were pretty rubbish last season once Redknapp jumped ship and I don't see that changing. The guy who replaced Tony Adams did enough to keep them up but Newcastle and Middlesborough were so bad in the final half of the season that it didn't take much for Portsmouth to stay up. I can't see them loving forward after lossing Diarra, Crouch, Defoe and Johnson. They've still got Krancjar but I wouldn't be surprised if someone bought him before the end of the month or in January, and Sylvain Distin has been the subject of some transfer rumours.

And since you're from Norway I would like to inform you that Scotland are going to thrash your national team tomorrow. Ross McCormack will be the star of the show as he runs rings around the Norway defence. :)

First of all, I need to apologize, I misinterpreted the purpose of this thread, and as such I currently feel very North American :dunce:

To rectify this. Anyone want to suggest a good place for one so low as me to learn the ins and outs of Football (used as intended in this thread)?

It's difficult to suggest any one source. The book: How Soccer Explains the World: An Unlikely Theory of Globalization is good. It helps explain a lot of the cultural things that swirl around the game. Soccer doesn't actually explain the world, but a lot of things on this Earth find expression through soccer. Its written for a novice, so you won't need to know Barcelona from Boca Juniors to appreciate. ^_^

Beyond that, I guess just watch games and read commentary. If you get ESPN360, they have lots of games you can watch on demand. I read the UK media a lot for good commentary.

I've only in the past year become a real student of the game. I had an advantage, because I grew up playing it, and reached a pretty competative level. Soccer is the only sport I understand, as I could never be bothered to watch the core American sports.

Here's how my team be looking:

Cech

Bosingwa - Hangeland - O'Shea - J. Samuel

Milner - Neville - Cahill - Fletcher

Torres - Rooney

Subs: Given, A. Johnson, N'Zogbia, Turner

Yes, I was a little reckless with my money. I'm expecting Torres and Rooney to have great seasons, though. They'll be my big hitters. Cahill's always a good shout, too.

Edit: By the way - what a load of crap. 'Far superior', my ass. I'll agree with his belief that this current Dutch team aren't as strong as they have been in the past, but lest we forget England didn't even manage to qualify for the last major tournament, whereas the Dutch looked really good. Only a stinker of a performance against the Russians messed up their plans for winning it. They've came closer than the English in other recent tournaments, too, and always look much more capable and confident of winning.

To rectify this. Anyone want to suggest a good place for one so low as me to learn the ins and outs of Football (used as intended in this thread)?

Do you have cable? Fox Soccer Channel shows English and Italian league games on weekends. And we're usually watching them if you feel like heading up to our neighborhood sometime.

Here's how my team be looking:

Cech

Bosingwa - Hangeland - O'Shea - J. Samuel

Milner - Neville - Cahill - Fletcher

Torres - Rooney

Subs: Given, A. Johnson, N'Zogbia, Turner

Yes, I was a little reckless with my money. I'm expecting Torres and Rooney to have great seasons, though. They'll be my big hitters. Cahill's always a good shout, too.

Is O'Shea going to be a regular starter?

Edit: By the way - what a load of crap. 'Far superior', my ass. I'll agree with his belief that this current Dutch team aren't as strong as they have been in the past, but lest we forget England didn't even manage to qualify for the last major tournament, whereas the Dutch looked really good. Only a stinker of a performance against the Russians messed up their plans for winning it. They've came closer than the English in other recent tournaments, too, and always look much more capable and confident of winning.

It was Tony Adams. He's a moron.

Is O'Shea going to be a regular starter?

He may just, perhaps. Though Ferguson seems to be favouring Evans as his first back-up player if Ferdinand or Vidic are missing. Though O'Shea can play in multiple positions, so he might come in useful. I guess I should probably bench him and put Turner in ahead.

First of all, I need to apologize, I misinterpreted the purpose of this thread, and as such I currently feel very North American :dunce:

THAT TACKLE WAS SPONSORED BY BUSWEISER!

My team:

Reina

Cole-Hangeland-Carragher-Terry

Arshavin-Pienaar-Mikel-Fellaini

Pavlyuchenko-Cole

Subs: Schwarzer-Cahill-Lennon-McFadden

Archived