Kevin Spacey "LittleFinger"

shewolf85

Kevin Spacey was great in American Beauty and Usual Suspects. Everything else he's ever touched is just...awful. Honest to god terrible. He can do some good impressions but when trying to play a role he absolutely sucks. He does have a very creepy vibe about him (so much so that he makes my stomach turn even when he's trying to play a likable dude) and I could see him playing himself as someone a bit disturbed (a Bolton maybe but I think there's a thousand other actors that could still do it better) but otherwise keep him away from AGOT.

Luckily I don't *think* he's going to be in the running for anything.

You are my new favorite poster of the month.

There are lots of actors who can be suave, cultured, charmingly sleazy, creepy, but few who can do that all at once and remain likeable. And I think that's important for Littlefinger... the audience has to like him even if they don't know what he's scheming or what his ultimate goal is.

That is the reason, why my candidate for Littlefinger in John Simm. When playing the Master in Doctor Who, he startet his genozide with 10% of the worldwide population, and later the whole population of Japan, but you still cared for him and somehow even liked him. He was a cruel mass-murderer - but a likeable mass-murderer.

Yeah, Spacey is an utterly bad actor...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKKDKAKNH-k

That said, it's not as if he were going to be cast in the series. Though he might do Roose Bolton just as well - he's quite old to play Littlefinger, really.

In my post I acknowledged that he can do good impersonations. But impersonations do not equal good acting in a role. If that was the case, wouldn't Frank Caliendo or whatever his name is be in demand for Oscar worthy movies? Kevin Spacey is almost always Kevin Spacey in his roles...and he gives off a totally creepy vibe too, even in roles that do not call for it. Which is why I said that a Bolton was his only place in AGOT :)

Wayyy too old. He's nearing 50 for crying out loud, Littlefinger is younger than Catelyn.

Yes, if go by the book he is way too old, but if you consider that Sean Bean 50, Jennifer Ehle is 40 and Robert Carlyle is actually 48 his age isn't that much of an issue.

Yes, if go by the book he is way too old, but if you consider that Sean Bean 50, Jennifer Ehle is 40 and Robert Carlyle is actually 48 his age isn't that much of an issue.

But Ehle is not playing 40. Spacey would have to play early to mid 30s. Not going to work.

I'm not a fan of Spacey. I liked him in Usual Suspects and Glengarry Glen Ross, and that's it... Also, as said before, Littlefinger is younger than Catelyn. We should have an actor who is can look like he's in his mid to late 30's.

Fixed. Having the age itself isn't as important as looking that age.

Yep, plus he's done some episodes of Torchwood and Smallville, has a role on upcoming Caprica episodes. He's not a bleached blonde anymore and he likes to play bad guys.

Fixed. Having the age itself isn't as important as looking that age.

James Marster is 47 years (I know hard to believe), Kevin Spacey is 50, and they do look their age. I just think it would be hard passing off Spacey or Marsters in the character of Littlefinger as being younger than Jennifer Ehle's Catelyn. That's all.

Who said the ASoIaF world is British?

I'm confused :huh: .

Being American, I certainly hear straight forward American accents when I read. However there are certainly a lot of bloodys and arses for an American accent. My biggest fear for the HBO series is having bad ass little Arya scream Camel c-u-next-tuesdays in some roughed up Cockney accent.

I actually read them with british accents, even though I'm American in my English. I used to hate it when adaptations of works were with British accents rather than mine. Part of the reason I hated HP1 when it came out.

Really? What part of HP the novels made you think the film would have American accents? :-)

With aGoT and all the other aSoIaF novels,I always heard a general European accent- sometimes more British than others depending on the character. Some characters sounded French, some Spanish, some North African, etc... Never occured to me to think of any character having american accents. Guess that world with castles and dragons doesn't lend itself to a southern twang, or Brooklynese. Although, it would be funny having Jaime say "the things I do for love" with a Brooklyn, Long Island or Staten Island accent.

it would be funny having Jaime say "the things I do for love" with a Brooklyn, Long Island or Staten Island accent.

Eh, yo pops, take the Rock and fugettaboutit. I got one freakin hand, you're breakin my balls here.

I hear more of a Juliann Moore ala Big Lebowski reform school American, as opposed to what you might hear at a bbq in Doraville, Georgia.

I'm voting for the guy who played mouse in The Matrix. lol.

In all seriousness though Ben Crompton from Man Stroke Woman has the look, if he could be serious he's the man for the job.

James Marster is 47 years (I know hard to believe), Kevin Spacey is 50, and they do look their age. I just think it would be hard passing off Spacey or Marsters in the character of Littlefinger as being younger than Jennifer Ehle's Catelyn. That's all.

Oh, I agree. I was just nitpicking on a small point.

The fact that it was written in American.

Um, your kidding right? I'm sure your kidding. You know that the British speak english as well, they kind of invented it...Thus the Brit speak...

Oh, I agree. I was just nitpicking on a small point.

We're all nitpickers here :cheers: !

Archived