WOOF! WOOF!

The white rabbit

Perlman was an actor George mentioned years ago, of course; probably sort of thought of him circa his Beauty and the Beast days.

I certainly wouldn't call the man ugly, regardless of his age. Plain, I suppose. There's something leonine about his features, which I guess does work well with makeup (Vincent, but also Hellboy)... actually, I guess he looks a bit like one of those exaggerated Dick Tracy gangsters.

In any case, yeah. That's who George thought would make an excellent Sandor Clegane back in the day. ;)

McCann looks great! I haven't seen anything he's played in, but what little I've turned up of him on youtube and google, he seems like he would make a great hound. Can't wait to see the half-burned off face on him.

Ran- about the sculpture thing, I could see that being true. Actually all of the sculptures looked a little off to me, until I realized how tiny they actually are. For some reason I was picturing them more like GI Joe size.

Ran- about the sculpture thing, I could see that being true. Actually all of the sculptures looked a little off to me, until I realized how tiny they actually are. For some reason I was picturing them more like GI Joe size.

Ran might have been talking about the Valyrian Resin sculpture (bust) of the Hound.

What a terrible choice for the Hound. Why couldn't they find an actor whose face has actually been burned half off?!

;)

(sorry I couldn't resist, given the prolificity of "so-and-so's features seem wrong for this character" complaints we've had to endure with other casting announcements. Never underestimate the power of a good hair and makeup department.)

My own mental image for the Hound was always Clancy Brown circa "Highlander," and that includes his gravely voice once he had his throat cut by Ramirez.

From all that I've seen of Rory, I think he's a fine choice for the role - older than I expected they'd go with the casting, but really he's about the same age as Dinklage and he's playing a character that was about the same age as Tyrion in the books so it's consistently inconsistent, if that makes sense. The aging thing won't matter in the show - I'm sure they'll mostly just avoid talking about relative ages, save where it might be important for one or two of the younger characters. Most viewers will just accept it, same as we would have if GRRM had decided way back to make Tyrion and Sandor in their late 30's instead of late 20's.

As a gushy SanSan fanfan I'm a bit disappointed that Stevenson or Armitage wasn't cast as Sandor but I'm relieved because Rory isn't butt ugly like Ron Perlman (I think I read somewhere that GRRM said he'd make a great Sandor......ewwwwww).

1) You're relieved that the actor the author (whose vision of how the characters are meant to look like is doubtlessly the most accurate) had in mind wasn't picked? Interesting.

2) Sandor is not pretty, and never was pretty even before being burnt. Stop being a silly girl. :P

Ron Perlman is butt-ugly? He looks like an average man of his age to me, that being an advanced age to be sure. *shrug*

To be fair, Perlman IS pretty ugly -- that's his trademark and why he's so successful, really. Ironically, he's almost less ugly now that he's older - he just looks like a plain, older gentleman now. But I remember him from some older movies, and he was always picked for the roles of mean, ugly-looking brutes. His face has, or perhaps had, a certain simian look to it, which is why he was the perfect pick in Quest For Fire and the hunchback freak in The Name of the Rose, among others. :)

While I try not to cast stones at anyone's looks and of course it is subjective, but yeah...Ron Perlman is IMO F.U.G.

It doesn't matter who they cast as the hound - if they film his scenes with Sansa in a way I think they will there will be a million more fangirls swooning their little hearts towards his tragic existence. It will only help if it's a decent looking dude like Rory McCann :P

he's older than i wanted but with the amount of make up he'll be wearing, it may not show too much. i'm more worried about if the series goes on for 7 years, how well he ages. now he can pass for mid 30's, maybe even early 30's but what will he look like when he's nearly 50? hopfully the girl playing Sansa matures like Sansa in the books cause the creepy factor may start to ruin the appeal.

Oh well, I guess it is Rory McCann as the Hound... I don't really think he has the acting chops for the roll and I'm dissapointed since he's a favorite character for so many, couldn't they get a real actor-actor? Seems like they just chose the tallest guy in the room... And yes I've seen many films he's been in, he's no great actor- just a big dude.

Ok, he was fine in Beowulf and Grendel... But he's still not great.

Oh well, I guess it is Rory McCann as the Hound... I don't really think he has the acting chops for the roll and I'm dissapointed since he's a favorite character for so many, couldn't they get a real actor-actor? Seems like they just chose the tallest guy in the room... And yes I've seen many films he's been in, he's no great actor- just a big dude.

Ok, he was fine in Beowulf and Grendel... But he's still not great.

You base your opinion solely on films he's done in the past with different directors, with no faith in the HBO casting crew who actually saw his audition for this particular character? Nobody casts better than HBO; I'm optimistic myself.

he's older than i wanted but with the amount of make up he'll be wearing, it may not show too much. i'm more worried about if the series goes on for 7 years, how well he ages. now he can pass for mid 30's, maybe even early 30's but what will he look like when he's nearly 50? hopfully the girl playing Sansa matures like Sansa in the books cause the creepy factor may start to ruin the appeal.

Because a 13 year old girl with a 30-year old man is totally okay and not creepy at all.

And really, what's with the assumption that they'll become a couple anyway? The strange relationship they have is not remotely romantic, and there's no indication it will ever become one.

You base your opinion solely on films he's done in the past with different directors, with no faith in the HBO casting crew who actually saw his audition for this particular character? Nobody casts better than HBO; I'm optimistic myself.

I want to be optimistic, really I do! But I've seen a lot of his work- even with bad directors you can still notice if someone can act. I stand by my opinion, if he was cast HBO may have dropped the ball on casting this character. The hound may start off as a one dimentional character and McCann can do that, but as we all know he quickly becomes a more compicated fella- I don't think from what I've seen him do that he's at that level. If anyone can show me stuff he's been in where he's great, show it. I want to see proof that he can play a role with deep emotional scars and depth of character.maybe I've missed a film he was in that he had that, show me the film if it's out there.

Sorry for the rant. I feel a tad strongly about this.:-)

Because a 13 year old girl with a 30-year old man is totally okay and not creepy at all.

you missed the part where i said in 7 years.

And really, what's with the assumption that they'll become a couple anyway? The strange relationship they have is not remotely romantic, and there's no indication it will ever become one.

you- you're kidding right? i don't have time to go through the pages of hints and for shadows through out the books but there's a TON of it.

btw i wonder how many people here, who think the age gap is wierd have watched the movie version of phantom and not been weirded out. cause Emmy Rossem was 15 when she auditioned and Garard Buttler 32 i think, the guy playing Raoul was in his thirties too. seriously, a teenager can play against an adult, not a 13 year old, but 15-16, i have no problem with.

Archived