Cooking & Recipes Thread

Yagathai

Do you saute the onions in LOTS of butter until soft first? Butter makes everything better :)

Is there no smell more divine than onions frying in butter?? Well perhaps the smell of bacon but onions and butter are the Astaire and Rogers of the cooking world if you ask me.

And Tobin you are welcome to eat my brats at any point - afters weeks of summer holiday (and yes the brats still aren't back at school) I'm willing to have them eaten by anyone. Either that or I will send them to Mormont as M is claiming perfect control of kids in the Apples and Authority thread. :P

Barbecue chicken with rice o roni...and barbecue sauce, mmmm

Also this isn't really a food recipe but, it's my signature brew

For 5 gallons...

2 valencia oranges

2 navel oranges

2 tangerines

5 tahitian vanilla beans

5 gallons of apple cider

4 lbs of Orange Blossom Honey

S-33 Yeast

I just thought of another one for this thread! :) My mom makes it occasionally and has been known to eat THE WHOLE THING IN ONE SITTING! Good thing she's got a high metabolism, since this one also includes the family favorite - cream.

Pint of whipping cream. IT'S IMPORTANT YOU USE THE REAL THING, as the spray stuff or Cool-Whip will not work.

Confectioners sugar (powdered) or even just plain white sugar.

Box of graham crackers.

Whip cream until stiff and sweeten to taste.

Lay down one layer of graham crackers to make either a square around 6" X 6" or an oblong 4" x 6". Spread a layer of the sweetened whipped cream on top of the first layer of graham crackers.

Repeat the above until you've got a roughly small cake-sized object, then cover the whole sucker with whipped cream.

IMPORTANT PART: REFRIGERATE OVERNIGHT!!! This softens the graham crackers so they turn into "cake."

This is so simple, but really good! You can drizzle it with chocolate or put cherries on top or whatever you like.

Try it, you'll like it!

OK.... I'm here to to tell ya', It was a complete sucess. I made it a day ahead of time for some out-of-town friends here on a visit, and it was gone in one night.

actually it was gone in one hour.

Has anyone here cooked ground pork into meatballs?

I got a pack the other day and was thinking some crazy thoughts of this orange/cranberry glaze that I did on a turkey once. I figured it would be kinda like sweet & tangy pork balls over noodles or rice with maybe...broccoli...

I don't know, I'm not a real cook - though I do pretty well with sweet stuff.

Would I add eggs, breadcrumbs and garlic to the pork - as if I was making a meatloaf? :idea:

I have an official craving for Thanksgiving dinner. Fortunately, it's only 3 months away, give or take a week. But here's the thing - every year, my stuffing sucks. Last year, I went all out and did a fancy stuffing recipe with roasted pearl onions, bacon, granny smith apples, etc. It was pretty decent, but it was in spite of the fact that I made it. I clearly have no technique when it comes to stuffing.

What am I doing wrong here? My stuffing is just not as much like bread pudding as I'd like. Chicken broth alone is not cutting it for me in the liquid department. What do other people do? Help me.

I have an official craving for Thanksgiving dinner. Fortunately, it's only 3 months away, give or take a week. But here's the thing - every year, my stuffing sucks. Last year, I went all out and did a fancy stuffing recipe with roasted pearl onions, bacon, granny smith apples, etc. It was pretty decent, but it was in spite of the fact that I made it. I clearly have no technique when it comes to stuffing.

What am I doing wrong here? My stuffing is just not as much like bread pudding as I'd like. Chicken broth alone is not cutting it for me in the liquid department. What do other people do? Help me.

Lots and lots of butter. And I'm a fan of "simple" stuffing. Really just bread, stock, butter, onions and celery. (I think that's it.) And then you put a lot of gravy on top.

Lots and lots of butter. And I'm a fan of "simple" stuffing. Really just bread, stock, butter, onions and celery. (I think that's it.) And then you put a lot of gravy on top.

Chalk me up as another fan of simple. My bro-in-law insists on making weird fancy-dancy stuffing which IMO sucks. :thumbsdown:

But I have no clue how to make stuffing, fancy or otherwise.

Okay, I'm not alone.

Yay!

I went to the local craft store today and they had out all of their Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas stuff. Ever since, I've bee craving holiday-type foods.

That is until AE mentioned Mole. Now in the mood for my grandmother's Christmas Eve dinner of homemade tamales! mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Oh, and mark me down for simple, down-home stuffing. Love, love, love it!!

Interesting. I'd never heard of that stuff.

But I hear that onions and butter can make anything taste good? I say we eat them. I hear they do it up in Canada.

You were a more compassionate soul as Triskele. I'm still not sure I'm down with Saladin.

But anyway, I had escargots with bacon last weekend. This is further proof that bacon is still the front runner for making anything taste good.

Well, I got a pan full of bones, stewmeat and onions in the oven roasting away (450 for an hour). I'm going to add some celery and carrots in a while, and then I'll have two big ol' pots of stock a-bubblin' away.

Tomorrow that stock will go into my pot roast and, with the mushroom stock I made last week, into some french onion soup (minus the toasted bread). I'll serve the roast and the soup with what I call an Italian gratin. It's like a classic french gratin, only with tomato and basil and mozzarella (and parmesan and maybe some ricotta) instead of gruyere and parm. With it, I think a nice merlot.

Hm. Should I put pork in the gratin?

Oh god.

Or chorizo.

Oh god.

I want to.

Talk me down, people.

Archived