Cooking & Recipes Thread

Yagathai

Has anyone tried the Supercook website? www.supercook.com

It's a nifty tool - you input all your pantry ingredients and the site will list the recipes you can do with what you have. When imagination or knowledge fails me, I turn to it. :thumbsup:

I do! I do! :P

Ask and you shall receive

Deconstructed Chicken Pot Pie

Bisquick Biscuits -- assigned to the pastry chef

1 - 1/2 cups of milk (take out early to bring to room temp)

1 cup + of chicken broth

Rub for chicken-

(everything is approximate)

1 tsp dried thyme leaves

1 tsp CA Chili powder

1/2 tsp cayenne powder

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp kosher salt

1/2 tsp fresh black pepper

2 TSP Olive Oil

Mix all into a paste and rub into 3 large bone-in, skinless breasts

Cover the breasts with bacon (pushed togther it took 4 thick slices)

Roast at 350 for 45-50 minutes

Meanwhile, while the chicken cooks, work on the veggies.

1/2 cup sliced Mushrooms

3/4 cup sliced Carrots

1/4 cut diced celary

2 large leaks white and pale green part sliced thin

1 cup frozen peas

2 ears white corn previously roasted on BBQ and removed from the ear

Olive Oil

Butter

flour

More spices:

dried thyme leaves

Salt and pepper to taste

In a hot pan - medium high (dry) saute the mushrooms till they stop making noise -- they are lightly golden

(I use my deep saute pan with lid, as this is the only pan you'll use and you'll need room)

Remove the mushrooms to a bowl.

Turn the pan down to medium low

add 2 Tbs olive oil

Add the carrots - saute for 5-8 minutes

Add the Celery and a large pinch of the thyme Saute for 5 or 6 more minutes

Add the leaks and a pinch of salt, saute for 3 - 4 minutes till soft

Remove the veggies to a big bowl

The chicken should be close to done -- take it out to cool (if it is not done, it will finish in the pan)

The saute pan should still be medium low or low

use 3 Tbs of the bacon fat/oil from the rub (yes its Red) in the pan for your Roux

add 1 Tbs of butter (oh come on, butter is great)

put 2 -3 Tbs of flour in the pan for a roux

Cook these together for 2 or 3 min.

Wisk in the milk, slowly

add some broth -- it should be slightly watery and it will thicken as it cooks

add your veggies and shrooms back to the sauce

Here is where I tell the RedWoman to Make biscuits -- I don't do pastry <G>

Add in the corn and peas. and cover on low

Stir occasionally

Take the chicken and remove from the bone, and then chop.

(gnaw on the bits left on the bone -- its your treat and you've earned it!)

remember the bacon? chop that too.

add the meats in and stir

add in salt and pepper to taste.

Add more broth or milk to your liking. White wine works too <G>

Cover and cook for 5-10 minutes

Take a big Biscuit and open it up.

Place in the center of a plate and spoon a very generous helping over both sides

note: I ussually use a ton of hot peppers and garlic. I purposefully toned it down here. The garlic was subtle and the heat was just there on the finish. THis took me about 75 start to finish. It was great the first night. We'll probably get 2 lunches out of it as well. As always, feedback is appreciated.

The boy and I swopped jobs this weekend. Typically I make starters / mains while he makes breakfast and dessert. Works well for us. This week we changed it up though.

For starters he made steamed asparagus wrapped in speck with some garlic butter. So simple but tasty.

For mains we got Roman spring lamb. A half a leg of lamb with chunks take off the leg. Said chunks were browned off then casseroled in water, white wine, garlic, sage, rosemary and sliced potatos. It was pretty good.

I made a baked blueberry cheesecake. It was fab. I'd only ever made cheesecake with cream cheese, jelly (?jello) and whipped cream before, which, to be fair is tasty enough. This time the topping was 300g cream cheese, 3 eggs, a teaspoon of vanilla essence, 100g caster sugar and about 200g blueberrys. When I left this evening there was about a slice left.

For brekkie today I made eggs benedict with steamed asparagus and extra hollandaise on the side. I added a smidge of truffle oil to the hollandaise. Again, yum. Importantly, it had bacon in it - essential for a good breakfast.

This evening, I revert to noodles with a spicy broth. Which is good in it's own way.

Ask and you shall receive

Deconstructed Chicken Pot Pie

That sounds wonderful! I'll pick up some chicken breasts, leeks (they make EVERYTHING better!) and bacon and make it this week.

Thanks! :)

ETA: I made brownies on Friday, and if I say so myself, they were the best evah! So fudgy!

Secondly, speaking of cornmeal, anyone know of any killer tamale recipes? I used to make them with my grandmother and aunts for various holidays (not just Christmas, so shutit!). However, it's been a while and I don't remember the recipe. I've tried it on my own several times and they end up sucking... taste wise. The end up being bland, tasteless.

My dinner last night was my dearest's awesome steak and my mac n cheese (Kraft... cause I R teh lazy). Some gormet, some junk.

You're lazy and yet you make tamales??!! That's some labor-intensive stuff.

Anyway, I found this which lists a lot of different fillings.

I'm sure I'm not the only one that loves Roast Chicken. Sometimes, simplicity is perfect. But oddly, this new revolution roasting technology is ... oddly captivating.

That's kinda...cool looking...not sure it's $180 (ON SALE!) kind of cool - but then I'm not a serious cook.

I fully admit that I wouldn't blink twice at spending $180 on something computer related. Or a sword, ;) .

But cookware?

That's kinda...cool looking...not sure it's $180 (ON SALE!) kind of cool - but then I'm not a serious cook.

I fully admit that I wouldn't blink twice at spending $180 on something computer related. Or a sword, ;) .

But cookware?

the decision has been made. it will be bought. You can all make your reservation for dinner at our house to try it out. You know the wine will be good.

Yo, ztemmy! (or anyone else who wants a fast and super easy way to prepare veggies): oven baked sweet potato fries. I know sweet potatoes were a big topic of conversation way back before Montreal when everyone was concerned with Healthy Weight and Eating, but I'm late to this party and that recipe is delicious. Unless you have something against cinnamon, then you might not like it. Or sweet potatoes, for that matter, but apparently even people who don't like sweet potatoes like this recipe. :)

BL, that chicken roaster thing looks cool as hell. I'm looking forward to your review.

Did a version of that deconstructed pot pie dish tonight. It was substantially different than that version listed, but i feel like at its heart it was very similar. Served it with rice and a haricot verts salad with a basic red wine vinaigrette (red wine, olive oil, garlic, pepper). It was quite delicious.

Stupendous. The roomate loved it. Great success!

Archived