A very small update from GRRM

daimonion

From not a blog:

"HBO Pilot: D&D have cast one more role and have an offer out to a wonderful actor on another. Sorry, no clues, I'm clued out for the present. One of the roles that was yet to be filled has been written out of the pilot. No huge thing, he wasn't in that part of the book in any case... though we did have a world-class thespian lined up to play the part. Character and actor will both be back if we go to series."

Varys? And who is that world class thespian actor that they had/have? Could it possibly be....?

From not a blog:

"HBO Pilot: D&D have cast one more role and have an offer out to a wonderful actor on another. Sorry, no clues, I'm clued out for the present. One of the roles that was yet to be filled has been written out of the pilot. No huge thing, he wasn't in that part of the book in any case... though we did have a world-class thespian lined up to play the part. Character and actor will both be back if we go to series."

Varys? And who is that world class thespian actor that they had/have? Could it possibly be....?

You think Jon "Master Thespian" Lovitz as Varys?

My guess is that it's Grand Maester Pycelle (there's a scene in the script featuring him in King's Landing with Cersei, as Jon Arryn dies), and my hope is that Roy Dotrice is the actor in question.

:agree:

I think Dotrice was mooted for either Pycelle or Aemon (or maybe Walder Frey?) and I believe GRRM has said in the past it was a nice idea to get Dotrice involved (although I believe that was a general question about a possible adaptation many years ago, not the current round of casting) following his work on the audio books.

My guess is that it's Grand Maester Pycelle (there's a scene in the script featuring him in King's Landing with Cersei, as Jon Arryn dies), and my hope is that Roy Dotrice is the actor in question.

Aww.. I thought of Varys when it was actually Pycelle that was in the Jon arryns deathbed scene. Oh, well....

Aww.. I thought of Varys when it was actually Pycelle that was in the Jon arryns deathbed scene. Oh, well....

It's someone who isn't in that part of the book, and Varys is in that bit ;) Pycelle isn't.

In fact, I think it narrows it down to just Pycelle and that's it. We know they're still casting for Drogo right now, so that means it isn't him. The only other possibility is Jon Arryn, and his corpse will probably be played by an extra, not exactly requiring high-profile casting.

Huh. Wonder why they dropped the scene? Looked like an interesting way to introduce Cersei. I wonder will they find another way rather than wait for her arrival in Winterfell.

Maybe they don't want to make her "the bad guy" so fast. That scene tipped the hat pretty quick.

I know he said no clues, but any chance the final "The bird is cruel" quote mean anything other than as a reference to Heinlein in the previous paragraph?

I was thinking the same, but had no clue where to begin with it.

I guess googling and seeing that it's from The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag would have been a start :P

So, yeah, it refers to that novella, which George mentions in the previous paragraph, but it seems to me that he might be giving a clue after all.

He doesn't need to mention The Unpleasant Profession of Jonathan Hoag, as he gives another example. So why give it at all?

OK, that doesn't mean it has to be a clue (otherwise anything could be a clue), but to then reinforce the reference with an important line from that work?

I haven't read the story, and I don't want to be spoiled on it, so figuring out anything about it is probably beyond me at this moment :)

Archived