MMA IV 2009 - Fall into New Years.

Horus Ex Machina

I sometimes forget how disgustingly rich I am in comparison to you poor bastards, so yes, my standards for the card are much lower because I can so easily afford it. If my choice were between paying the heating bill and watching the card, I'd honestly expect more. Ortiz/Griffin 2? You expect my kids to get pneumonia for Ortiz/Griffin 2???

I sometimes forget how disgustingly rich I am in comparison to you poor bastards, so yes, my standards for the card are much lower because I can so easily afford it. If my choice were between paying the heating bill and watching the card, I'd honestly expect more. Ortiz/Griffin 2? You expect my kids to get pneumonia for Ortiz/Griffin 2???

Word of advice, pay the heating bill, and don't even waste gas money going to Hooters or the local bar. If you can run there, fine. But only if you haven't had your daily run in.

I am glad for every UFC because they don't cost me any more and I get to see good MMA, you guys have to justify the outlay with regards to each individual card. I am sorry that I didn't take that into account earlier but I still stand by my assessment that this is a good card.

Well, we've both made our points and are standing by them, I guess. I think it's a very average card. Maybe below average.

I'd be willing to bet this is the lowest selling PPV in the last 10 UFCs on US soil. Say $50? ;)

I'd be willing to bet this is the lowest selling PPV in the last 10 UFCs on US soil. Say $50? ;)

Lower than UFC 96, with 350k? Jardine/Jackson was an ok headliner since it would have determined whether Jackson could challenge for the title. The rest of the card was very slim on names. Pete Sell vs. Matt Brown was third to the top. Yeesh.

I think this is a very interesting card, although there aren't really any fights that have title implications. Maybe that is why people consider it a bad card. Really the only problem with it is the main event is pretty "meh". If this had the original Lesnar/Carwin headliner it would be a pretty awesome card. Even w/o Carwin on it though it is more interesting then the 105 card.

Lower than UFC 96, with 350k? Jardine/Jackson was an ok headliner since it would have determined whether Jackson could challenge for the title. The rest of the card was very slim on names. Pete Sell vs. Matt Brown was third to the top. Yeesh.

Yep, UFC 96 too. I realize this is just a small subset, but where I'm from everyone always gets up for fight nights and there's been virtually no buzz here about 106. I know of three bars (including the one I used to work at that always showed every UFC event) that decided not to air tonight's card because of lack of interest. It's funny to me that people actually think this card is good because it has stories. Um, EVERY UFC card has stories. But to each their own.

As for 96 being worse than 106, using Sell-Brown as the third fight isn't a good example. The UFC usually likes to pump up the crowd before the main event fights by putting on brawlers and guys who go full tilt. And Maynard-Miller was a fight a lot of people were looking forward to, as Miller was coming off some pretty exciting wins, IIRC. Gonzaga-Carwin determined who was the #1 HW contender. Rampage-Jardine was basically set up as a stepping stone for Rampage.

In any case, we'll see tonight. I'm not too excited, and if both Tito and Forrest could somehow lose, I'd be down for that. Might just go to the other room and watch the Kessler-Ward fight instead.

Even w/o Carwin on it though it is more interesting then the 105 card.

That card was free

Done and done. Although the traditional way to settle bets is that the loser has to take the Display Name of the winner's choice for one month.....

No fucking way Tito's popularity has dropped that far and Griffin made even Silva sell. Who's figures are we using to decide who wins the Fifty Westeros Dollars/Branding Rights?

I don't think it's that bad of a card. Poor 5th fight (doubt many people are getting pumped to see Thiafo/Volkmann) but for a card that's suffered a ton of injuries and bad luck, I think it's pretty intriguing. I, for one, am very interested in the Tito/Forrest fight, think Cane/Nog is gonna be very entertaining, and think AJ/Kos couls steal the night. Even Sadollah/Baroni is a fun, quirky fight. I think the 2 preliminaries being aired on Spike are actually good fights as well, and could have easily made the main card of any "below-average" PPV. But if you don't care about Tito or Forrest (which I can totally see) then I can see how the card's appeal takes a big hit.

Done and done. Although the traditional way to settle bets is that the loser has to take the Display Name of the winner's choice for one month.....

The money bet was more of a joke ($50 being how much a PPV costs and the winky emoticon), but if you actually want to do it or the screen name bet, I'm down for either or both. I usually only place bets on NFL games, but I'm game.

No fucking way Tito's popularity has dropped that far and Griffin made even Silva sell. Who's figures are we using to decide who wins the Fifty Westeros Dollars/Branding Rights?

I have no idea whose figure's to use. Just whatever gets reported on Yahoo or MMAJunkie I guess, unless you have a better idea.

And I'm not going to shit on the card anymore. If people think it's a good card, fine with me. I was more debating that you can be an MMA fan and think 106 is an average card.

Impressive win for Sadollah and Baroni himself looked pretty good in defeat...yeah he gassed like we all knew he would but he hung in there, showed a helluva chin and kept coming back.

Edit: Damn! Thought Cane was gonna have the advantage on the feet and Lil Nog would eventually have to use ground control to pull out a spirited decision, but...damn. Debuts dont come much better than that.

Surprised that Thiago got a 30-28, 30-27, 30-27 UD when I felt that the 2nd round was extremely close and Volkmann won the 3rd. Oh well, i picked Thiago in Fantasy anayways so I'm alright w that.

And I'm not sure why Kos is bitching about Hardy when the GSP-Hardy match has already been made...does he really think his claims as the no. 1 contender would make Joe Silva switch the match to GSP-Kos??

Yeah, I don't know what Koz was up to with that.

WTF was with Ortiz? He wonders why people booed him for crying injured? Maybe because you went around assuring everyone who would listen before this fight that your back and knees were healed and you were 100% for the first time in umpteen fights. Loose the fight, and suddenly he discloses that he's more hurt this fight than he's ever been. Idiot.

After beating Johnson I don't care what Kos said. He did the business.

Ben Saunders knocked Marcus Davis into his 80s. His face was messed up. Third round of the Baroni fight was hard to watch, that was another beating. Nog looked good but damn Cane looked bad. How many times do you have to get tagged before you keep your right hand up? Ortiz looked like he gassed, he was just a target by the end, possibly it was just cage rust. Volkmann could easily have won if not for the sloppy mistakes. He did all the hard work and then kept messing up on positioning and the like. He is close to being very good.

This is the second time Forrest was given an opponent coming off a long layoff who I think was better than him, but who gassed when they fought him. Dammit, his next fight needs to be Shogun. Let's see him beat Shogun when he's on his game. Then we can finally get rid of Forrest.

Not unless he does something really, really dumb.

That's true, they'll never get rid of Forrest unless he shoots a California Condor while holding a crack pipe while high on extasy, while making racial slurs about Scottish ppl. And then he still probably won't go away.

Looks like it will be Huston Alexander vs Kimbo in the TUF 10 finale. Looks to me like a "There is only room for one muscle-bound, no ground game-having, mid-thirty year old black male explosive KO striker in the UFC; you guys figure out who gets the slot" situation.

Looks like it will be Huston Alexander vs Kimbo in the TUF 10 finale. Looks to me like a "There is only room for one muscle-bound, no ground game-having, mid-thirty year old black male explosive KO striker in the UFC; you guys figure out who gets the slot" situation.

I still don't get it. They're not even in the same weight class. Oh well. Another Seth Petruzelli situation? I give it a 50/50 chance for Kimbo since Houston's a slugger like he is. And it's a win-win for the UFC since Houston, with his personality can glom alot of new fans with a win over Kimbo.

Holy shit did McSweeney lose ?

When do you guys get TUF ? We get it for free here on a saturday.

I don't watch TUF usually, but I think we get it twice a week here.

I still don't get it. They're not even in the same weight class. Oh well. Another Seth Petruzelli situation? I give it a 50/50 chance for Kimbo since Houston's a slugger like he is. And it's a win-win for the UFC since Houston, with his personality can glom alot of new fans with a win over Kimbo.

I don't watch TUF usually, but I think we get it twice a week here.

The fights at 215 right? I think its just a tester for Kimbo at a lower weight. If he wins they will move him down to 205.

Archived