October 2009 - Whatcha readin'?

RedEyedGhost

I read Katherynne Valente's marvelous Orphan Tales: In the Night Garden and fell in love with it. What a wonderful, magical book, like a fairy-tale for grownups. Her story-telling skills are amazing and I couldn't help but get lost in all her tales and admire how they were interwoven in a magnificent way. It seems simple but it's incredibly complex and very, very beautiful.

I'm only 100 pages from finishing her second volume The Orphan Tales: In the Cities of Coin and Spice and I'm loving it as much, more even. Sadly, I'll have to stop reading it for a while. I wish I could just keep on going but The Gathering Storm just made it here and I've waited WAY too long for another WoT book, so I'll start reading it as soon as I can. Then I'll go back to Valente and read back a bit if I have to, to recapture the magic.

Finished Julian by Gore Vidal yesterday. I really liked it, and I think a lot of modern historical fiction owes a lot to this book (Cornwall's Warlord Trilogy especially). Vidal makes Julian, and the other two narrators Priscus and Libianus, into fascinating and complex characters (I especially liked Priscus) It was also extremely funny at times, which I didn't expect.

Now reading A Secret History by Donna Tartt.

Finished Julian by Gore Vidal yesterday. I really liked it, and I think a lot of modern historical fiction owes a lot to this book (Cornwall's Warlord Trilogy especially). Vidal makes Julian, and the other two narrators Priscus and Libianus, into fascinating and complex characters (I especially liked Priscus) It was also extremely funny at times, which I didn't expect.

Now reading A Secret History by Donna Tartt.

Glad you liked it! :)

The Secret History is a favorite of mine. I should reread it, it's been forever.

Currently, I'm reading Watership Down. Unfortunately, I started too late to join the read-a-long thread.
You can still join in! The thread is in chronological order so if you start at the beginning you won't get 'spoiled' - if you find as you read through the thread that you have something to say/ask about anything we did or didn't discuss feel free to post it in the thread. There is just ome more discussion post to go up to complete the cover-to-cover read-through but we will have some kind of 'overall summary discussion thing' I should think.

I need to read mindless stuff right now so I've started on Through A Glass, Darkly by Bill Hussey. It's a horror novel about demons... or something.

ETA:

The Red Wolf Conspiracy by Robert VS Redick - very entertaining and the setting, especially the Chathrand, was excellent. I've got The Rats and the Ruling Sea on the shelf which will be up next (also got a comp for it here) :)
Cool. Didn't know the sequel was out. Must get hold of that soon.

I've started a re-read of Tad Williams' Memory, Sorrow and Throne trilogy. I'm a bit nervious about approaching this work again. I read it probably a dozen or so years ago and remember it as both one of my favorite works and one of the great pieces of epic fantasy. I've grown and changed as a person in the intervening years. Meanwhile the fantasy genre has gone through a massive upheavel, with Martin, Erikson, Hobb and others simply shattering the conventions that Williams played with. I what seemed groundbreaking when it first came out will seem far more traditional in light of more recent works. I would hate to find that a work I remember fondly does not hold up on a re-read. I'm only about 300 pages into the Dragonbone Chair and so far am finding the writing exceptionally strong and thoughtful and the characters well-crafted. Rather that will be strong enough for it to retain its lofty place in my regards remains to be seen or will Williams long-windedness and adherants to traditional epic fantasy structure weigh it down to more pedestrian levels.

Archived